CPU TEMP HITTING UP TO 70 DEGREE

docxxx

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
helloo Friends,

i want to know whether my cpu temperature is normal??
i have AMD Phenom 2 X 4 965 (3.4 Ghz)..While playing games temperature reaches up to 70 to 72 degree...(in any game )and stock cpu fan making unbearable noise ...running at like 7000 to 8000 RPM.....and maximum watt used by cpu is 115 watt( seen in HW monitor software)
the noise of fan is very disturbing....so is it normal????

i don't know much about thermal paste and aftermarket cpu coolers....so any suggestion would be great help :)

my full spec is as follow

AMD Phenom 2 X 4 965 (3.4 Ghz) AT stock speed..NOT OVERCLOCKED
Gigabyte GA 880GM UD2H Mobo (rev 1.4)
Corsair TX 650 Watt psu
Sapphire 7850 2 GB ddr 5 graphic card
4 gb ram 1333 Mhz
3 Case fan

and i usally play BF 3..Crysis 2 , Sleeping dogs.. Dishonoured etc

Thanx in advance........

Skunker

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

You mention you don't know much about thermal paste. How much did you put on. Also check to make sure there is no dust on your fans or anything else like cables obstructing the airflow in your case.

docxxx

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

no its a stock fan came with cpu..i cleaned the fan from dust .and there is no cables obstructing airflow.....
EDIT:
idle temperature is 40 and when i play games it reaches up to 70 To 72 ..and i am using these cpu since 1 year..i haven't applied any thermal paste...i had just cleaned the fan with a brush..didn't even open it

G3ox

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010

The stock CPU fan is very bad, you should get an aftermarket cooler as soon as possible. My core i7 930 was running at 70-80 C (in load) with the stock cooler (no OC), after I got a good cooler the temperature dropped to 50 degrees in load and after I overclocked it to 4.0 Ghz it never goes past 65.

docxxx

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

ok is that mean 70 degree temp is not acceptable???
would you suggest me some cooler ...i have budget around 30 $ not more then that....

docxxx

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

so whats your point...i want to know is it acceptable temperature or not ??? 70 to 72 while on load??????

G3ox

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
The temperature is acceptable so if you are ok with the noise don't change the cooler, the noise from my cooler bothered me, the fan on my aftermarket cooler runs at 900 rpm and is very silent.

docxxx

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

ok thanx guys for your advice
@skunker
i have stock amd cpu cooler that came with it....it making terrible voice while i am playing games...
@G3ox..the point is what you said.it is the noise of the fan ...its very disturbing....like 100 of bees humming inside my pc...
so what you suggest..at 30 $???

RamjoTejada

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
I recommend cooler master CPU coolers like Hyper evo 212, very good cooling device for its price! Go for it! It will be a worthy upgrade! Stock fans are not so efficient and in the long run, high temps will destroy your procie. 30-40 is the average normal temp and 45-50 at full load :) GOODLUCK!

First for me that would be to high temp at full load.

As others have said I would get a aftermarket cooler like the Hyper EVO 212 that was linked above. Make sure if you choose to go with a after market cooler that you clean all of the thermal past off the CPU and re-apply the thermal past that is included in the box. You can use 99% Isopropyl alcohol to clean the old past off.

You need to use a lint free cloth so you do not transfer anything that can interfere with contact between the heatsink and CPU. I use coffee filters as they seem to work the best and are cheap. After you replace the heatsink make sure that the new heatsink is fully seated on the CPU before you turn the system back on. Check and double check because if the heatsink is not full seated you can fry the CPU and possible the motherboard in a second. I can't stress that enough there should be no gaps between the heatsink and CPU.

docxxx

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

ok thank for your advice guys...so now i have to buy aftermarket cooler as you said it is too high temperature....but i have another question..please don't mind my curiosity.. :bounce:

i recently bought corsair psu which has bottom mounted fan so it blows hot air directly on cpu fan (before that i have a psu which had fan which blows air outside the case))...so do you think it is a point to take in consideration????

and i have a mid highted cabinet and i heard that CM 212 evo is huge...if so then i have to buy another cabinet...that is of no good cause i bought my cabinet recently.......so would you suggest any other cooler...
please guys help.......

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

45-50 at full load? WHAT? are you crazy? i would say 70 would be the normal max load on non OCd CPUs. 45-50 would be hard to get on a high performance water cooler!

as for the askers question, by cabinet i assume you mean case. if you don't have a fan on the side of your case, you should be fine. the hyper 212 isn't that big. it's tall though, and if you have RAM with heatsinks on them like corsair vengeance, it will get in the way. if you have normal RAM and no side fan, you should be fine. there are countless youtube videos on how to apply thermal paste and countless videos on youtube how to mount the hyper212+/evo. i would suggest getting the evo by the way. it's worth the extra 5$ and it looks cool. the cooler also comes with thermal paste.

docxxx

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

OK THANK YOU very much for your suggestion..but as i mentioned that,,, i recently bought corsair psu which has bottom mounted fan so it blows hot air directly on cpu fan (before that i have a psu which had fan which blows air outside the case))...so do you think it is a point to take in consideration???? do you think it will affect my cooling even after replacing stock cooler with aftermarket one......????

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

it might affect cooling, but not by much. PSUs don't produce that much heat. and if it does affect it, the PSU will affect the hyper212 even less because it cools much differently than the stock coolers. AMD stock coolers are just a fan that blows downward onto the CPU heatsink. the hyper 212 looks like this: http://www.hardwareoverclock.com/kuehler/Coolermaster_Hyper_212-026.jpg the heatsink stands up ontop of the CPU. the fan takes cool air from the front of the case, blows it on the heatsink and all the hot air from the CPU goes straight to the rear exhaust fan. it is a very effective CPU cooler. you can even add another fan you have laying around onto the other side of the heatsink to help pull the air through to the other side of it. it makes it look really beefy and cool. http://assets.overclock.net.s3.amazonaws.com/4/42/42625983_vbattach210944.jpeg

so because the PSU blows hot air right over the stock CPU cooler, the fan will take that hot air and blow it right onto the CPU and heatsink. with this kind of CPU cooler, the fan takes air from the front of the case instead, where the stock CPU cooler takes the air above the CPU, which is where the PSU is blowing its hot air. so really the hot hair will just be blown by the hyper212 right to the exhaust fan instead of onto the CPU. it shouldn't effect the cooling at all. you should be just fine.

45-50 is perfectly normal for AMD. :)

docxxx

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

yup thank you very much ... :) you have cleared all my doubts as far cooling is concerned...........just a little question i have a mid tower cabinet (case)with dimension.. 412(H) x 180(W) x 446(D) mm ...

so will this CM hyper 212 evo will fit in it??....please guys this is most important thing to know....please help......

docxxx

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

helloo guys..i need urgent help.......i am confused..due some money issue i got my hands on CM hyper TX 3 EVO instead of 212 EVO..( also my case is kind of small ,212 could not fit in that)..i installed the fan...but got a real problem i have Gigabyte mobo GA 880GM UD2H....with AM 3 socket...so i cant install my cooler as marshal11 shown in the link
http://assets.overclock.net.s3.amazonaws.com/4/42/42625983_vbattach210944.jpeg

now my temperature is as it was before with stock cooler......not even a improvement of 1 degree :cry: :cry: ....just dont know what to do now.........here is the link of my CPU showing how it looks....
http://imageshack.us/a/img546/926/20121023124549.jpg
please help guys........
cooler is getting hot air both from above(via PSU) and below (via GPU)....is it because of that or any other issue.......

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

i'm 99% sure you can. google how to do it.

EDIT: report the person above me.

docxxx

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

to whom i have to report??? and i googled a lot...didn't find any solution..all videos on youtube are also showing about LGA socket..and video for AM 3 socket are not at all informative....it will be great help if you can so me some way to do it.... :bounce: :bounce:

TRENDING THREADS