Color mgmt

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
July 27, 2005 7:13:40 PM

I've got a couple questions about color management (well, lots really,
but I'm only going to ask a couple).

I have not yet purchased a color profiling device, but I plan to soon.
I am also buying Real World Color Management soon so if the answer is
in the book, feel free to say so.

1. Can someone explain how to set the black point brightness/contrast
controls for an LCD monitor? Most of the information I have found
pertains to CRT monitors only.

2. In the previous thread we talked about how when I proof images in
other color spaces (sRGB) for example, they looked vastly different
from what photoshop was showing in aRGB. I fixed that problem (maybe)
using Adobe Gamma and trial and error. I ordered some prints from
ofoto, "one touch" or whatever it's called turned OFF, and they came
back probably a stop or two darker than I expected. I converted the
image to sRGB before I uploaded it. What do you think this is a result
of? A bad monitor profile? The gamma of my monitor being too high?
When I printed the same images with "one touch" on, they looked
approximately how I expected (I don't really know if the two things are
related, I just thought it was interesting).

Anyway, thanks for the help! Brian

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.photo.digital/b...

More about : color mgmt

July 27, 2005 8:15:21 PM

I guess after reading some more on the newsgroups Adobe Gamma isn't
really a good idea for LCD monitors. If that is the case, is there
another tool that would be more useful? (I have an analog LCD)

Brian
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 3:16:14 AM

On 27 Jul 2005 15:13:40 -0700, "Brian" <ripcurl187@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I've got a couple questions about color management (well, lots really,
>but I'm only going to ask a couple).
>
>I have not yet purchased a color profiling device, but I plan to soon.
>I am also buying Real World Color Management soon so if the answer is
>in the book, feel free to say so.
>
>1. Can someone explain how to set the black point brightness/contrast
>controls for an LCD monitor? Most of the information I have found
>pertains to CRT monitors only.
>
>2. In the previous thread we talked about how when I proof images in
>other color spaces (sRGB) for example, they looked vastly different
>from what photoshop was showing in aRGB. I fixed that problem (maybe)
>using Adobe Gamma and trial and error. I ordered some prints from
>ofoto, "one touch" or whatever it's called turned OFF, and they came
>back probably a stop or two darker than I expected. I converted the
>image to sRGB before I uploaded it. What do you think this is a result
>of? A bad monitor profile? The gamma of my monitor being too high?
>When I printed the same images with "one touch" on, they looked
>approximately how I expected (I don't really know if the two things are
>related, I just thought it was interesting).

Here is what you need to read to understand color management.

Real World Color Management
by Bruce Fraser, Fred Bunting, Chris Murphy

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/020177340...

It will answer your question and answer more you didn't even know you
needed to ask.

"A nice man is a man of nasty ideas."

_Introductions to History of the Reformation_
Jonathan Swift
1667-1745
July 28, 2005 3:22:08 AM

On 27 Jul 2005 16:15:21 -0700, "Brian" <ripcurl187@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I guess after reading some more on the newsgroups Adobe Gamma isn't
>really a good idea for LCD monitors. If that is the case, is there
>another tool that would be more useful? (I have an analog LCD)

Use a colorimeter.

http://www.colorvision.com/profis/profis_view.jsp?id=34...
(I use one of these on a 20 inch Apple iMac display)

or this

http://www.xritephoto.com/

or the best solution

http://www.gretagmacbeth.com/

"A nice man is a man of nasty ideas."

_Introductions to History of the Reformation_
Jonathan Swift
1667-1745
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 5:26:46 AM

Brian wrote:
> I guess after reading some more on the newsgroups Adobe Gamma isn't
> really a good idea for LCD monitors. If that is the case, is there
> another tool that would be more useful? (I have an analog LCD)
>
> Brian

Most printers use sRGB (gama 2.2). If you don't know the target prnter's
color space, you must convert the file to sRGB (unless stateed otherwise
in some professional printshops). It should look darker than using aRGB,
so adjust accordingly.
!