Should I Update my HDD

NYK31

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
I recently did minor upgrades to my PC so that i can play all the latest games...But I didnot upgrade my 160GB IDE harddrive and instead opted for a 1TB external Hard Disk.....So now my Qiestion is Should i Update my Internal Hard Drive to SATA one so as to get better performance in games? Will I see an increase in the performance of games and responsiveness of the PC if i change the Hard Drive......Or should I wait for 1 and a half year when i m gonna completely build a new PC for me....my primary concern is my PC's responsiveness and speed and Gaming performance

Hi

a SSD as boot device will give a massive boost to Windows startup speed & responsiveness.
Prices have fallen by about half this last year.

A 90GB or 120GB SSD for Windows + programs + large hard disk for data

If that is too expensive then look at how much free space there is on hard disk and how much ram you have

keep a minimum of 20% to 30% free to prevent slow downs
move little used data to external drive

You could find out if the external 1TB hard drive contains a standard SATA 7200 rpm hard disk
As some integrate the USB to SATA controller onto the hard disk, some are slower 5400 rpm disks
The exact model number for hard drive should enable the info to be found

regards
Mike Barnes

NYK31

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

yup i have kept 30-40% of hard disk free and i have 8GB RAM...my concern is about increase in gaming performance..will a SATA HDD help? I currently donot have any plans to buy an SSD