Solved

Can i fit a gtx 480 into a antec 300 illusion case?

Hello community,

I have three questions.

I chose this case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066,

the antec 300 hundred illusion to house this gpu:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130759, a evga gtx 480

First of all, can this case fit this beast of a card?

Second of all, can this case keep this card cool.

And Finally, can this case hold two 480's?

Thanks in advance!
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about antec illusion case
  1. The case isn't the problem with holding TWO 480s... it's the motherboard. I wouldn't recommend the 480 anyway (or the 300 Illusion), but that's not what this thread is about. So, to answer your questions:

    1) Yes, it will fit
    2) I don't know, personally, but if you had a side fan it would be better. The 480 gets VERY VERY HOT. As in... REALLY REALLY HOT.
    3) That depends on your motherboard, but if the mobo can fit them, then the case can.
  2. ddan49 said:
    The case isn't the problem with holding TWO 480s... it's the motherboard. I wouldn't recommend the 480 anyway (or the 300 Illusion), but that's not what this thread is about. So, to answer your questions:

    1) Yes, it will fit
    2) I don't know, personally, but if you had a side fan it would be better. The 480 gets VERY VERY HOT. As in... REALLY REALLY HOT.
    3) That depends on your motherboard, but if the mobo can fit them, then the case can.

    thx but last question what about this case? :
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133180
    also what would you recommend in the same price range instead
  3. I see no problem with the antec 300 illusion. You can read through 1000+ positive reviews to see if someone has the exact same cards installed in the case. The two 120mm intake fans provide plenty of airflow.

    The coolers on the cards you linked are actually very good. They are the direct exhaust type that really helps case cooling.

    If you are planning a build based on two GTX480 cards, you might consider spending the same total dollars on a single GTX670.
    It will run cooler, take less power, and avoid any dual card microstuttering issues. Newer 28nm based cards are simply better.
  4. I always personally thought the HAF 912 was roomier. But agreed with everything geofelt said. I'd try to get a newer card anyway... 660 Ti is coming out Q3 if you can wait.
  5. ddan49 said:
    I always personally thought the HAF 912 was roomier. But agreed with everything geofelt said. I'd try to get a newer card anyway... 660 Ti is coming out Q3 if you can wait.

    i can but i can't afford anything over 250
  6. Marmour said:
    i can but i can't afford anything over 250


    A GTX480 is a $200 card. You can't get two of them for $250, except perhaps used.
    You will need a 600w psu for just one; a 750-800w psu for two.

    Better to get a better single card like the 7850. The 28nm construction will run cooler, and only need a 500w psu.
    The upcoming GTX660 may well be a nvidia competitor to the 7850.
  7. geofelt said:
    A GTX480 is a $200 card. You can't get two of them for $250, except perhaps used.
    You will need a 600w psu for just one; a 750-800w psu for two.

    Better to get a better single card like the 7850. The 28nm construction will run cooler, and only need a 500w psu.
    The upcoming GTX660 may well be a nvidia competitor to the 7850.

    i know, but for now I'm getting one 480,
    is this powerful enough to handle every single game on medium or more, heat and power aside?
  8. Best answer
    Umm... why did you pick that case? You had us evaluate an Antec Three Hundred... I'd recommend either a HAF 912 or a Corsair 300R/400R. As long as you're okay with the 480, you can have it... just make sure you know everything about it. I'd go with 8GB (2x4GB) of RAM. You don't have a CPU cooler yet you want to OC... right? I'd go with a ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 motherboard... Z68/Z77 > P67 imo
  9. Your shopping list is good. Cases are a personal thing, buy one that pleases you.
    The one you listed looks fine to me.

    See if you can't stretch a bit to get 8gb, this kit will do:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231424

    More ram is better than faster ram on a 2500K.
  10. ^Agreed on all points. With cases, I feel like you'd have better cable management on one of the ones I suggested. They're tried and true, and their reviews/ratings speak for themselves.
  11. ddan49 said:
    ^Agreed on all points. With cases, I feel like you'd have better cable management on one of the ones I suggested. They're tried and true, and their reviews/ratings speak for themselves.

    thank you for your help, i will definitly check out the posted cases.
  12. Best answer selected by Marmour.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Gtx Cases Antec Systems Product