Sign in with
Your question

Need Compatibility check and help in reducing cost

Last response: in Systems
June 18, 2012 1:54:05 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: 6/18/2012 - in less than 15 hours of post

Budget Range: Best if not above $1000 after rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Photo and Video Editing/Rendering, Non-blue ray HTPC, Gaming, Web Surfing

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, amazon.com (would like to be able to get all the parts in 1 day)

Parts Preferences: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15456214
Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200 - primary monitor, 1024x768 - secondary monitor

Additional Comments:
I have a tendy to abuse my PC's that i own so i would like to build something that is very durable and can handle stress over a long period of time. I plan on running with 2 monitors and at times my TV as a third to play movies to watch with family. I want to use a one cheap video card to start out with and add a second one later when i can afford it. If possible i would like a build that does not require me to upgrade any backbone parts;(motherboard, case, power supply, and if possible cpu.)

Thanks

June 18, 2012 2:22:19 AM

Daaaang.

First of all, about the abuse... like... how bad is it? Keep in mind that the "military-grade" Sabertooth isn't all that more durable than normal motherboards. I happened to notice you replaced your HDD with an SSD.... don't. Put your games/apps/OS on an SSD (128GB MAX) and the rest on a 1TB 7200rpm HDD.

Second of all, here's the thing about the GPU. The new 7850/7870s that came out have a new version of Eyefinity which allows the GPU to run both monitors at THEIR native resolutions without changing the res. Older cards (like the 6850) still have Eyefinity (which you want, by the way), but I think you'll have to change both monitors to 1024x768 to use it. The thing is that the 7850 is expensive and high-powered... it's a GREAT GPU, but... again, overpowered (can run all games at max settings). So, I guess it's up to you. Keep in mind that you don't need to use your GPU for watching movies. Also, the Hyper 212 Evo comes with thermal compound (which is VERY good, by the way, as thermal compounds go). Anyway, here's the build I'd suggest:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($35.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($123.49 @ B&H)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Mushkin Chronos 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($67.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On IHBS112-04 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($69.99 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $1147.39
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

Now, here's the thing. That's WITH the 7850. Also, there's 16GB of RAM in there (2x8GB) since you said photo and video editing/rendering. If you're not REALLY into that, then you'd be fine with 8GB. It's also with an SSD AND an HDD. Which is ideal. Put OS, games, and apps like your photo editing software on it, and they'll run/load faster.

m
l
June 18, 2012 2:23:34 AM

Because you're mostly doing photo and video editing and rendering, you should try and go for 16gb ram, it will be used by most software in these fields.

You should also add a 1TB HDD - videos can take up a lot of space and a 256GB SSD may not be enough.
m
l
Related resources
June 18, 2012 2:44:20 AM

ah, i forgot to say i was reusing my current storage hdd on the new comp, and on the abuse part, i tend to leave my comp running while having to go out for errands. I guess i forgot to say that in my first post. Also i chose the 256GB SSD b/c i can bearly fit all the programs i have in my current ssd and it's 120gb.

I also wanted a modular psu, because this is going to be the first computer i'm actually going to build and i want it to be as easy as possible for me.

And on the abuse part, it isn't really physical abuse but more of a leaving my comp on heavy load for more than 1/2 the day abuse (i've had a few video cards burn out on me b/c of this) and my current one is on its way as well, so i figured it would be a good time to upgrade.
m
l
June 18, 2012 4:04:00 AM

I'm not going to be using eyefinity. I'm only using multiple monitors so i can multitask better. Since i'm not going to be using eyefinity, will i still need to get the video card you recommended?
m
l
June 18, 2012 11:55:33 AM

OH! THAT's what you meant by abuse! Well, that makes it a bit easier. Okay, so here's the stuff I'd change from the above list:

1) SSD to 256GB (FYI... the programs you put on there... they're just programs, right? Not like documents and stuff...)
2) Ditch the HDD. Get ANOTHER 120GB SSD (or a 60GB SSD) WHILE reusing your OLD one (the new ones aren't all that much faster). Put OS on one of them, while using the other one as simply additional space. Doesn't make sense to take out an SSD and just leave it out.
3) Switch out the 7850 for an MSI Hawk 6850.
4) KEEP THE CASE (or switch to like a 500R if you want). Corsair has GREAT cable management.
5) Switch the PSU to a bronze-rated modular Seasonic, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, and CERTAIN OCZ ones (if it's really cheap, chances are it's the wrong one).

As for the burning out problem. You should check your temps after leaving it running for half a day. If they're abnormal (which they shouldn't be at stock), drop the OC when you leave. As in... only manually enable OC WHILE using it. You can even make a batch file to enable/disable OC. Add in a bunch of fans while you're at it.

The 6850 will run ALL games at med-high settings on one monitor. BF3 will still run, although with many settings turned down.
m
l
!