Need help updating graphics card

G

hey guys im trying to upgrade my card from a nvidea geforce 9100 to a amd radeon hd 6770. now the reason i need your help is that my pc has pci-e x16 on it so the card should work but i only has a 300 watt psu can any point me in the right direction to find how much power the card uses and wether it would work on my pc ( hp p6122f if you want to research it) one other concern was that room in my case or lack of it the card would fit but would heat be on issue since me pc would be full (no room in case) thanks for any and all help everyone

Solution
Pro tip: When asking for help, put some amount of effort into making your post readable. You'll be much more likely to get help that way. I mean no offense, but posts like yours look very lazy. I don't like helping lazy people, it just enables them to be lazier still. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, though.

300W is not enough for even a basic mid-range card. Use this PSU calculator to find out how much power your system would need with a given video card.

I recommend at least 50W over the minimum power, as PSUs will output less power as they age. If you're at the cap, the computer may just stop working out of the blue one day, even though nothing is actually broken.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Pro tip: When asking for help, put some amount of effort into making your post readable. You'll be much more likely to get help that way. I mean no offense, but posts like yours look very lazy. I don't like helping lazy people, it just enables them to be lazier still. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, though.

300W is not enough for even a basic mid-range card. Use this PSU calculator to find out how much power your system would need with a given video card.

I recommend at least 50W over the minimum power, as PSUs will output less power as they age. If you're at the cap, the computer may just stop working out of the blue one day, even though nothing is actually broken.

Solution

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Just looked up that computer. Your video card is integrated with the motherboard. I would be utterly shocked if you could put any discrete card in that computer and have it power on. You need a new PSU before you can upgrade your video card.

Do NOT get a cheap PSU. That $25 PSU looks real nice right now, but when it burns out in six months you'll need another $25 PSU, and it may kill your computer when it does. Six months from then, you'll need another PSU.

Do yourself a favor and buy a decent PSU to start with. Make sure it has 20 or more amps on each +12V rail (if the product doesn't list this, don't buy it). Prefer PSUs from Corsair, SeaSonic, PC Power & Cooling, Antec or OCZ.

G

sorry about my grammar i didn't notice my mistakes due to me being tired at the time. But this isnt F1 so i'm going to stop with excuses thanks for the help everyone i'll fix my grammar and get a good psu with lots of power and probably get a better card i think all you're responses were helpful ~cheers

TRENDING THREADS