Sign in with
Your question

Need help - fps drops with hd 6950

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 22, 2012 1:04:35 PM

First of all - sorry for my awful english

recently i switched from geforce 260 1 gb to ASUS HD 6950 1gb

my other specs are
quad core q9400 2.6ghz, 4gb of ram, windows 7 64 bit, power supply 600wt.

in games like Fallout: New Vegas and Mass Effect 3 i get occasional fps drops while running. Fps is 60 but then it suddenly drops to 40 for like one-two seconds and then again pops up to 60. And while I'm turning around fps sometimes drops to 50 and then again goes back to 60. It is almost like the game is loading areas around me. On any settings, on any resolution.

So i switched back to my 260 and the issue still persist but fps drops is almost unnoticeable: from 60 to like 56. Can i somehow get same result with 6950? Why fps drops is so strong on amd card? Is this a CPU bottleneck? A problem with power supply? RAM? Or amd drivers? I read about same issue (random fps drops while running or turning around) and it was due to the Catalyst A.I. On older drivers you could simple turn this setting off and problem solved, but with new hd series drivers i can't do this.

More about : fps drops 6950

April 22, 2012 2:43:12 PM

Sounds like a driver problem to me.

It also sounds like you tried your cards a few times, and I'm going to guess you didn't install drivers properly.

You want to use driversweeper.

http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/Versio...

Use this tool to uninstall all your display drivers for both Nvidia and ATI (only the display drivers do NOT uninstall Nvidia chipset drivers if present).

After that reboot in safemode and repeat the process.

At this point install the latest drivers from AMDs website and see if that alleviates your problem.

If not do the driversweeper again, and this time install a driver from AMD that is a couple revisions ago. If the problem still persists its likely that that is just how AMD plays with those particular games. Some games are better played on Nvidia, and some on AMD.

If this case you can use an FPS limiter tool to lock your FPS at 45 or 50, and thus you wont see any drop downs.

It should be noted that in Fallout 3 (not New Vegas as you described) I always had a problem where it seemed like the game was "loading" every few steps, could never figure out, it was very annoying.
April 22, 2012 6:30:54 PM

thak you for replay
but i already did all of this using driver-sweeper
and in didn't help

but maybe you right
i watched other players videos of above mentioned games on youtube (recorded with 6950)and i do see some fps drops.
also there are no lag in Skyrim or Battlefield so it is probably a Mass Effect and Fallout issue
Related resources
April 22, 2012 8:30:10 PM

wilddivision said:
thak you for replay
but i already did all of this using driver-sweeper
and in didn't help

but maybe you right
i watched other players videos of above mentioned games on youtube (recorded with 6950)and i do see some fps drops.
also there are no lag in Skyrim or Battlefield so it is probably a Mass Effect and Fallout issue

I'm using the same GPU, except mine is from HIS but it's still the same thing, a Radeon HD 6950.

Anyways, I get poor FPS for how great this GPU should be. I used to use a Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 and the performance was a lot better and more smooth than this card.

I'm running LoL at like 70 FPS and it drops down to 50. It's really annoying and now I can't even play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 without a FPS config because it's so choppy.

Let me know if you find a solution, I've tried updating my bios, downgrading from 12.3 to 12.1 and still no luck.

Thanks,

BoomShotKapow
April 22, 2012 9:18:06 PM

can you post your other specs?
April 22, 2012 10:27:35 PM

wilddivision said:
can you post your other specs?

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 3.0 GHz (over clocked to 3.3 GHz)
RAM: 8 GB
GPU: HIS Radeon HD 6950 Iceq X Turbo 2GB
June 17, 2012 6:30:38 AM

This is funny because I use an HD5970 and mine holds a constant 60.1FPS with no drops in game. I use driver 12-3.
June 17, 2012 6:34:40 AM

Forgot to mention I run the game maxed out with 16x anisotropic filtering at 1920x1080 res.
!