Can we change our boot skins????

I am sick of the old "Windows XP: Pro/Home edition" on black staring at me in
the face as the computer boots....... is there any way to change it into
something I like? An image, perhaps, or some great bit of satire?
8 answers Last reply
More about change boot skins

    Hi Galen,

    Check this free proggy out...

    http://www.stardock.com/products/bootskin/

    Andy

    In news:F3GOd.33$SF4.30@newsfe1-win.ntli.net,
    Andrew Bailey <andy.j.bailey@ntlworld.com> had this to say:

    > Hi Galen,
    >
    > Check this free proggy out...
    >
    > http://www.stardock.com/products/bootskin/
    >
    > Andy
    >
    > "Galen" <Galen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I am sick of the old "Windows XP: Pro/Home edition" on black staring
    >> at me in the face as the computer boots....... is there any way to
    >> change it into something I like? An image, perhaps, or some great
    >> bit of satire?

    Interesting... I thought I was the only Galen on the planet :) Anyhow, the
    real irony is that was a question I'd answered yesterday though I think I
    only gave them a plain old link without any additional information.

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    Andrew Bailey a écrit récemment :
    > Hi Galen,
    >
    > Check this free proggy out...
    >
    > http://www.stardock.com/products/bootskin/
    >
    > Andy

    Hi Andy,

    And do all those new BootScreens work with SP2 ? Because I used to change my
    boot screen with SP1 (not through this software, I did it manually), but I
    had to stop the day I upgraded to SP2 because a majority of the boot screens
    available on the web crashed during boot up.

    Thank you for your answer,

    MALESCOT.

    Malescot wrote:
    > Andrew Bailey a écrit récemment :
    >> Hi Galen,
    >>
    >> Check this free proggy out...
    >>
    >> http://www.stardock.com/products/bootskin/
    >>
    >> Andy
    >
    > Hi Andy,
    >
    > And do all those new BootScreens work with SP2 ? Because I used to
    > change my boot screen with SP1 (not through this software, I did it
    > manually), but I had to stop the day I upgraded to SP2 because a
    > majority of the boot screens available on the web crashed during boot
    > up.
    Some boot screen changers work by swapping for one of the MS files
    (%windir%\system32\ntoskrnl.exe) that contains the graphics for screen,
    progress bar, etc. and several other rather more important things. File has
    changed through XP, SP1, SP2 - swapping in the wrong one=bad.

    The Stardock BootSkin one diverts calls to its own files & doesn't mess up,
    works fine for me, XP Home, SP2, all updates.

    cpemma a écrit récemment :
    > Some boot screen changers work by swapping for one of the MS files
    > (%windir%\system32\ntoskrnl.exe) that contains the graphics for
    > screen, progress bar, etc. and several other rather more important
    > things. File has changed through XP, SP1, SP2 - swapping in the
    > wrong one=bad.
    > The Stardock BootSkin one diverts calls to its own files & doesn't
    > mess up, works fine for me, XP Home, SP2, all updates.

    Thank you cpemma, I'll try at once !

    MALESCOT.

    I tried this program and it crashes my system on bootup, right after the new
    bootskin is displayed; I get a classic MS blue screen of death. I then have
    to restart my computer, selecting the option "last best configuration" or
    something to that effect..... or safe mode. Either way, this program didn't
    cut it for me. Any alternatives?
    thanks

    "Andrew Bailey" wrote:

    > Hi Galen,
    >
    > Check this free proggy out...
    >
    > http://www.stardock.com/products/bootskin/
    >
    > Andy
    >
    > "Galen" <Galen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I am sick of the old "Windows XP: Pro/Home edition" on black staring at me
    > in
    > > the face as the computer boots....... is there any way to change it into
    > > something I like? An image, perhaps, or some great bit of satire?

    "Galen" <Galen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am sick of the old "Windows XP: Pro/Home edition" on black staring at
    >me in
    > the face as the computer boots....... is there any way to change it
    > into
    > something I like? An image, perhaps, or some great bit of satire?

    Absolutely.

    There are two ways of doing this.

    1. The easy way: Use Stardock's Bootskin program to change it

    -or-

    2. The hard way: Modify the kernel with a resource editor.

    Because WinXP ships with 4 different kernels, you will need to know
    which one you are using. If you use this method, then you need to
    remember that the image palette is not in the image itself, but is in
    certian locations in the kernel file and will need to be edited with a
    hex editor. Furthermore, the image must be 640x480 at 4 bit color.
    Alot of people make this mistake. If you want more information, go over
    to the forums on http://unattended.msfn.org. There you will find alot
    of information about this, and other topics.

    Galen wrote:
    > I tried this program and it crashes my system on bootup, right after
    > the new bootskin is displayed; I get a classic MS blue screen of
    > death. I then have to restart my computer, selecting the option
    > "last best configuration" or something to that effect..... or safe
    > mode. Either way, this program didn't cut it for me. Any
    > alternatives?
    >>
    >> http://www.stardock.com/products/bootskin/

    There's a warning at the link:
    "Alternative Versions:
    Some drivers and bios makers "break the rules" which can cause BootSkin to
    not work correctly. If you experience that, you can try these alternative
    versions:
    BootSkin 1.02
    BootSkin 1.03 "

Configuration Boot Microsoft Customization Windows XP