Sign in with
Your question

My PC won't turn on. CPU is problem

Last response: in Components
October 20, 2012 1:00:40 PM

Hi,

I have a computer that I built from scratch couple of years ago. I've had no bother with it till now.
When I go to switch the computer on, it only stays on for a second then turns off. I've went through everything, cleaned everything, unplugged everything and plugged them in one by one.

What I have found is when I unplug the 2 4 pin CPU power connectors the computer will stay on but won't hit POST screen obviously. If I take the CPU out and leave the CPU power connectors in, it powers up still.

Does this mean that my CPU has gone? Or is it a possible Power Supply issue?

Thanks for any help.
Martin

More about : turn cpu problem

a b ) Power supply
a c 109 à CPUs
October 20, 2012 9:09:16 PM

The CPU might not be supported, what is your motherboard/computer and what is the CPU?
m
l
October 21, 2012 7:49:09 AM

Hi Jay,

The CPU is supported because the computer has been running fine for about 4 years.
The only thing ive ever changed is the Graphics Card because it stopped working around 4 months ago.

The CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz
The power supply is 600Watts I think.

Is there any tests I can do on the power supply ore CPU to determine the problem?

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
October 21, 2012 7:51:20 AM

Sorry,
Motherboard is aBit Fatality FP-IN9 SLI
m
l
October 21, 2012 8:05:00 AM

Just tried something,
I shorted the 24-pin connector between green and black wire with CPU power plugs plugged in and everything stayed power up. Does this help diagnose the problem anymore?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 109 à CPUs
October 21, 2012 8:31:06 AM

You can buy a PSU tester to test the PSU (hence the name).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digitus-PSU-Tester/dp/B0017YZ1J...

Other than that, if you can test the PSU with another motherboard will cross out some problems if it works.

It could just be the motherboard is somehow shorting or the voltage regulators for the CPU have somehow burnt out and shorted..

Take out the mobo, put it on a non conductive surface and test it outside the case.

m
l
October 21, 2012 9:10:58 AM

I've tested both 4 pin CPU power connectors and they are both outputting 11.2volts on average. Is this normal?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 109 à CPUs
October 21, 2012 9:16:29 AM

Most likely, they are 12V .

+12v = No higher than 12.5v MAXIMUM
+5v = 5.3v MAXIMUM
+3.3v = 3.5v MAXIMUM

It could also be that voltage because there is no load.
m
l
November 17, 2012 12:23:25 PM

Sorry for bringing this back up.

Still have the same problem, tried another power supply, and the computer stays on but nothing on the display, no BIOS screen or anything, I thought I would at least get that, This power supply was only 20 pin ATX tho instead of 20+4.

Anybody have any ideas on what could be the root cause of this?

Thanks.
Martin
m
l
!