Cannot add a registry key to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

February 10, 2005 5:45:04 PM

"Cannot create key. Error writing to registry."

So, no programs cannot install extentions. Seems problem with
authentication, but Im in the domain admin group. In addition, My Computer
Properties -> Advanced -> Performance Otions -> Virtual Memory -> Change
button should bring "Set regiser size" dialog but the error dialog is shown
instead:
---------------------------
System Control Panel Applet
---------------------------
You are not logged onto Windows as a member of the user group that has
the right to view the workstation's Virtual Memory settings.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

Among other problems I experiance is this PC cannot see the neigbbour
computers in our LAN (domain) while the others see this computer and can
browse shares on it. All the network logon services are running. Actually,
Im using win2000, any ideas on debugging the problem (i'm not going to
upgrade/reinstall OS) or suggestion for a better group to ask are expected.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 7:06:22 AM

There seems to be a problem with HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT loosing all its
permissions. Right click on it and choose permissions, I bet it will
have only the Everyone group with neither Full Control or Read checked.
If so make add Administrators and SYSTEM with full control, and probably
users with read... sometimes a replace permissions on child objects can
be useful too.
wish i knew what causes this

valentin tihomirov wrote:
> "Cannot create key. Error writing to registry."
>
> So, no programs cannot install extentions. Seems problem with
> authentication, but Im in the domain admin group. In addition, My Computer
> Properties -> Advanced -> Performance Otions -> Virtual Memory -> Change
> button should bring "Set regiser size" dialog but the error dialog is shown
> instead:
> ---------------------------
> System Control Panel Applet
> ---------------------------
> You are not logged onto Windows as a member of the user group that has
> the right to view the workstation's Virtual Memory settings.
> ---------------------------
> OK
> ---------------------------
>

> Among other problems I experiance is this PC cannot see the neigbbour
> computers in our LAN (domain) while the others see this computer and can
> browse shares on it. All the network logon services are running. Actually,
> Im using win2000, any ideas on debugging the problem (i'm not going to
> upgrade/reinstall OS) or suggestion for a better group to ask are expected.

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 3:41:05 PM

> There seems to be a problem with HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT loosing all its
> permissions.

Thanks, I've realized thet Win2000 editor does not have the Permissions
editing caps. Will look for a 3rd party tool.
February 11, 2005 4:08:41 PM

Surprisingly, win2000 has a regeit32 wich allows editing the permissions.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 4:27:50 PM

Youre completely right - all the problems were registry related -
administrators had absolutely no access to the HKCR and HKLM keys. I wonder
how the computer was operational in such conditions.
!