Solved

Gaming Rig for Girlfriend... Take Two!!!

Okay,

So you guys were great in your recommendations for what I should do for my girlfriend, and I took some of what you guys said into consideration and came up with a build I THINK will work just fine.

BIOSTAR A880GZ AM3+ AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138345
$59.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314
$46.99

AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103996
$109.99

LITE-ON Black Internal 12X Blu-ray Combo SATA Model ihes112-04 - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106374
$49.99

nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Acrylic / Steel HTPC 5000B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204035
$49.99

TOTAL COST: $316.95

Now, what I plan on doing is swapping out my PowerColor Radeon 6850 and putting it into her machine and putting the spare Nvidia GeForce 560 I have into mine. I also have a couple spare HDDs I can put in it, and I have a 480w PSU I can cannibalize from an older machine. I also have a copy of Windows 7 I can install as well.

My only real concern is whether or not I'll have the clearance space-wise to fit in the graphics card.

So, what do you guys think? Should she be able to run Diablo III, World of Warcraft, and some light shooters (Left 4 Dead, Counterstrike Source, etc.)? I used to be a tech nut, but I just don't have the time anymore. In fact, if it wasn't for all you awesome techies here at Tom's Hardware, I probably wouldn't have been able to build MY gaming rig. So, as always, thanks so much for all your help!

Cheers!
Ben
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming girlfriend
  1. Best answer
    Your on the right track but there are few changes I would like to recommend if I may;

    RAM: 4GB x2 Gskill Ram Good choice [no recommendations here]

    Blu-Ray Drive: [no recommendations here either]

    CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 [$119.99 + Free Shipping] [Has Hyper Threading]
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115078
    Hyper Threading generally doesn't help with gaming but in this case; for Intel Dual-Core CPUs, hyper-threading difference is like night and day.
    This is explain very thoroughly here; http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/320565-28-hyperthreading-gaming-difference

    Motherboard BIOSTAR H61MGC LGA 1155 [$49.99 + $4.99 Shipping]
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138332

    Case: [$39.99 + Free Shipping]
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146075
    This is a more spacious case that's better suited for gaming PCs and also cheaper. The reviews don't lie either! xD

    New Total: $311.95

    I hope this helps!
    Happy Gaming!

    Coffee~

    Edit: Opps forgot to post this link:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120-9.html

    It shows the benchmark between the i3 2100 [with hyper threading] with the FX-4100. The i3 2100 wins! [Even though it's dual core]. Benchmarks don't lie either!
  2. Thanks for the quick reply!

    Part of the reason I chose an AMD processor was because I wanted to take advantage of the hybrid crossfire you can do when you hook up a Radeon card. I thought that would give her a little extra bit of power in case her gaming needs evolved.

    Also, I was hoping it could double as a HTPC as well with the bluray drive and Netflix. That's why I picked the style case I did. I was trying to go for a set top box look for the living room.

    Can you recommend a better case in the style I had originally chosen?

    Thanks again!
  3. Foxhound7 said:
    Part of the reason I chose an AMD processor was because I wanted to take advantage of the hybrid crossfire you can do when you hook up a Radeon card. I thought that would give her a little extra bit of power in case her gaming needs evolved.


    Well, I personally have a MSI 6850 1GB coupled w/ a i5 2500k and I have to say; it performs wonderfully even at 1920 x 1080 [1080p] resolutions for most games [except crysis... but it's CRYSIS LOL :D see what I did there?!?!? !!!! >_<;;]. Basically, the 6850 is already a very very capable card; it will delivery high/near max settings for most modern games. Also keep in mind that SLI/Xfire does have downsides as well; not all games support that feature. Which means when said games are played; only one card will be running the game.

    Foxhound7 said:

    Also, I was hoping it could double as a HTPC as well with the bluray drive and Netflix. That's why I picked the style case I did. I was trying to go for a set top box look for the living room. Can you recommend a better case in the style I had originally chosen?


    Um... I personally have no experience w/ Box type computer cases; my main concern with them is if there is enough clearance space for the 6850 and possibly ventilation issues. I have my PC in the basement and the average temperature is about 15degress celcius; even so my 6850 is a solid 68C degress during load; that's very hot considering my ambient temperature.

    The NZXT case I recommended allows for the followings:
    Front, 2 x 120mm (optional)
    Rear, 1 x 120mm @ 1200rpm (included)
    Top, 1 x 140mm (optional)
    Bottom, 1 x 120mm (optional)
    VGA Clearance Maximum: 230mm w/ hard drive, 330mm w/o hard drive
    CPU Heatsink Support: 160mm

    Offers excessive cooling options for the price to maximize airflow while also ensuring your graphics card will fit 100%.

    ~Coffee

    Edit: Here is a benchmark comparison between the GTX4601GB Vs the 6850 1GB.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/542?vs=539
  4. Foxhound7 said:
    Thanks for the quick reply!

    Part of the reason I chose an AMD processor was because I wanted to take advantage of the hybrid crossfire you can do when you hook up a Radeon card. I thought that would give her a little extra bit of power in case her gaming needs evolved.

    Also, I was hoping it could double as a HTPC as well with the bluray drive and Netflix. That's why I picked the style case I did. I was trying to go for a set top box look for the living room.

    Can you recommend a better case in the style I had originally chosen?

    Thanks again!


    Wrong CPU for the hybrid crossfire. The FX-4100 doesn't have an onboard graphics, you're thinking of Llano (3870Ks) on the FM1 socket.

    As far as your initial build, it would work fine, but I'd use a different CPU.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product