reason to buy
1. my old card is unable to handle gaming at 1080p res, acer 21.5" monitor
2. having huge fps drop in few games like battlefield 2, crysis 2, etc, (overclocked it from 540/702/1100 to 640/720/1400) with my custom cooler of old pentium processor which is pretty good in coolin than stock one
1. can 9800gtx+ helps in achievevin 25-30fps in ALMOST all games at med settings
2. what about fps drop with overclocking and without overclocking
3. will my pci slot of motherboard GA-M61SME-S2 compactable (i don know much about pci 16/8--2.0/1.1)
4. will my 450w psu (FRONTECH) will be sufficient to juice whole system (em ready to dis connect dvd rom)
FYI- my system is pretty old, except monitor n don want to upgrade in near future cause plannin for a laptop
my system spec
ACER 5ms 21.5" 1080p monitor
AMD ATHLON 4000+ Brisbade (2.1GHz)
3GB DDR2 RAM @ 667MHz
PALIT 8600GT (256 DDR3)
450W PSU( FRONTECH)
250GB SEGATTE HDD
LG DVD ROM
KENWOOD 150RMS*2 SPEAKERS CONNECTED 2 SUBWOOFER (CONNECTED 2 SEPARATE AC SUPPLY)
your best bet would be to go for a amd 6770, it would be around $100 us and it would be faster use less energy.
Something like this. I have a 9800GTX+ and even though your CPU is sub-par for what you are trying to do (make that your next upgrade) you would be disappointed by the 9800GTX+ versus something like the AMD 6770 or 6850.
For $75 it isn't worth it, maybe 50 if it were in like new condition and was being used for cuda or physx but not as a main card for modern gaming. The limited vram and 16 rop it is simply not powerful enough to manage the newer games out there. I suggest that you aim higher like a 6850 or gtx460. The performance that those two cards offer is more than enough for most games even with reduced settings for 1080p. The 6770 is just a re branded 5770.
Second your cpu is on the weak side even for your current card