5760*1080 medium gamer, single card

bobby43

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
I was here not long ago, asking which graphic card to use for my needs. This was just before release of GTX 680 and at that time, I was convinced to go with Radeon 7970 card. See original thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/347151-33-wants-3x23-monitors-medium-gamer

I still haven't bought the card because GTX 680 ruined all my efforts to make my mind and I am now waiting, unsure what to do.

I am still a medium gamer but since I builded the need to use 3 monitors, I still want to enjoy my occasional gaming with three screens.

Some things haven't changed, my current setup will not accomodate two cards because of many hard drives in the case.

I have read everything between both cards and know all the pros and cons but still cant decide.

What I knwo is: 5760*1080 for work: stability is really important. Medium gaming, no way I will add another card in the future in this PC but would like to enjoy gaming with 3 monitors for maybe two years willing to not max out everything if necessary. Will not go with a dual GPU card.

I am left with the following: 7970 is a good card but lack quality drivers. Drivers may improve the cards but it is unsure. GTX680 is a strong card but may not be the best solution for 3 monitors gaming knowing lower VMRam. So I need to decide basically between the following:

7970 better architecture for 3 monitors but poor drivers. Possibility of getting better with drivers and less limitation with VRAM
GTX680 less optimum architecture for 3 monitors but best drivers. Possibility of bottleneck with VRAM but best driver support.

So simple question all:

3 monitors: 5760*1080 single card: 7970 or GTX680? Willing to sacrifice max settings when needed. Medium gamer.

Thks a lot helping me.

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
i have a 7970 on 3 27" monitors and i would trade for a 680. i would likely never feel the difference but i know its faster. the main reason i would swap though is im disappointed with AMDs drivers. they keep releasing versions that just blue screen my computer every 20 minutes. i keep going back to the original drivers for stability.

second most annoying thing is its like a 10 step process to switch from eyefinity mode to 3 independant monitors mode, which is what i have it in when im not doing surround gaming. it allows for netflix/hulu full screen on one monitor and me to still play a single screen game on another or just browse the web.
in eyefinity mode it will stretch a full screen netflix across 3 monitors with the center one having the video and the outer ones just black. which is useless.
so i want it simple to switch between them and the profiles which should make this possible are broke. used to work on my 5770 but with the 7970 it just does nothing.

either one with a virtu mvp motherboard will be awesome.

dharmenparikh

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Nvidia is better for drivers in my view. I currently have 2 x Radeon 6970s and its a pain with their drivers. I used to have 9800GTX+ back in the day and never had any issues.

There's a perfect solution to this....get a GTX 680 4gb card. They will be launching very soon. You may have to pay a 50-$100 premium for the extra vram but it will be worth it.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4665/palit_jetstream_geforce_gtx_680_4gb_video_card_review/index1.html

http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=868

This review only did 1080P resolution but still saw a 4% improvement so you will get better with triple monitors for sure.

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
I've been running an Eyefinity setup on a 5850 ever since the week it was released a few years ago. My 7950 arrives in the mail this week. I've never had any of the driver issues that everyone else has complained about. The worst I've had is issues with profiles but it hasnt been anything major.

While I do love to game, productivity and stability are more important to me. I can say my computer is STABLE, I average a reboot less than every 2 weeks and its seldom due to any crashing, normally its a program installation or update.

As far as switching between Eyefinity and regular mode. This should be a 15 second process. Farrengottu you need to setup profiles. I have one called standard desktop and one called EyeFinity gaming. I right click the CCC icon, choose the profile I want, the monitors flash off then back on in the right mode. Eyefinity is one large Screen with 5760x1080 resolution. Standard desktop is with each screen being independent at 1920x1080.

You mentioned wanting to max out the games. Sorry, but NO single card can do this right now at EyeFinity resolution. Even the new 680 has been shown that it cant handle BF3 with Full AA at Ultra settings when in EyeFinity resolution. You can come close on a 680 or a 7970 (overclock it), but you wont be able to max.

No problems with 2gb vram on a GTX 680 at 5760 x 1080:
1332370311kfvezRMQlH_10_3_l.gif

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/03/22/nvidia_kepler_gpu_geforce_gtx_680_video_card_review/10

1332370311kfvezRMQlH_11_3_l.gif

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/03/22/nvidia_kepler_gpu_geforce_gtx_680_video_card_review/11

1332370311kfvezRMQlH_9_3_l.gif

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/03/22/nvidia_kepler_gpu_geforce_gtx_680_video_card_review/9

bobby43

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

Thanks for good info, I know I cant max out everything in a single card, that's why I stated that I am willing NOT to max out everything.

Still reading, cant make up my mind yet.

Thks for the replies all but still unsure. I almost bought the Sapphire 7970 OC today but backed up at the last second. I had a beer and now on standby. Waiting for the GTX 4g is an option but waiting for the reviews, then availability....long wait...

bobby43

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
This is just an update regarding the difficult dilemna I was stuck in between 7970 and GTX680 card for 5760/1080 setup.

I just bought a Sapphire 6950 OC for the moment with free Dirt3. This will make me enjoy Eyefinity mostly for work and light gaming like racing games and Skyrim.

I am very surprised I took such decision, willing to wait for next generation or until the wide screen gaming technology gets more mature.

Thanks all for your help.

I missed all that was written. I was under time constraints and felt I needed to make sure the OP looks at other articles on his own. I apologize for any personal remarks.

I realize there are a lot of reviews, some show the 680 faster than the 7970, and some other way. I personally chose the GTX 680, as I have a 3D vision monitor, and it works best with an Nvidia card.
skyrim%205760.png

metro%205760.png

I'm not sure how the above HardOCP came up with some vastly different numbers than THG did, but the above shows a much more even Skyrim. I also thought you show be aware that sometimes the 7970 can beat the 680, as it does in Metro 2033.

For the cost and availability, it might be worth getting the HD 7970 instead, but you won't be disappointed with the GTX 680 if you go that route.

TRENDING THREADS