Sign in with
Your question

[help] display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 22, 2012 5:16:34 PM

Hello everyone,
I been experiencing this problem for 1-2 months now. While gaming or even simply browsing on chrome, the screen/sound freezes and stays frozen (4-5 secs) till I hit altctrldel at which case I can either cancel/task manager and see the desktop in the background with the error MSG. At this time, I can use the computer and hear the game but can't alttab back in the game.

I have also experienced one bsod (not sure related) while watching a video this last week.

Things I've tried:
Underclock gpu to stock (came factory OCed)
Tried 3 latest drivers with clean start using driver sweeper
Checked temps
Have latest directX
Checked ram using prime95 and memtest (2 passes, will run for 24h+ tonight)
Reseated gpu
Possibly other things I've forgotten.

Things I didn't check:
PSU, since it happened using chrome (no load)

Gpu is a MSI 6950

Thanks for any help,
Ata

April 22, 2012 5:26:12 PM

I have the same problem with my 6870 while trying to load Bf3... I was using chrome also but I tried loading the game through firefox and somehow I have not had a problem since... although I still get problems in chrome just not firfox. Try it and see if you still get problems.
m
l
April 22, 2012 8:01:18 PM

I get this same issue with the Nvidia GTX 560ti. I don't know what causes it but the problem has diminished as new drivers are released. If you're anything like me you will be best off living with it until you upgrade your graphics card (since this isn't a very serious problem).
m
l
Related resources
April 22, 2012 11:37:18 PM

I have some similar problems with my 5850, 12.3 Cata
m
l
April 23, 2012 12:17:52 AM

Even if chrome isn't open, the problem occurs. Its kinda annoying when playing multiplayer games
m
l
April 23, 2012 2:18:42 AM

Just a quick thought, is your Motherboards PCI speed at the normal speed? 100 MHz I believe..
m
l
April 23, 2012 2:25:15 AM

I had something similar with my GPU. For over a year I troubleshot it to no avail. Until finally I found a suggestion somewhere that worked. You should give it a try it's very easy and fixed my problem.

First, shut your computer down.
When it's off, unplug it from the wall. (Very important! Do not skip this step!)
Okay with it unplugged press the power button on the front a few times to discharge any residual electricity.

Wait 30 seconds+/2 mins ish, doesn't matter as long as you wait a few seconds.
Reboot and try something stressful now that would have caused it to restart before.
??????
Profit?

Let me know how it works out for you. Hope it helps :) 
m
l
April 23, 2012 1:36:08 PM

I will check if its on 100 when I get home, but I didnt play around with it so I dont think it would be on something else.

Moneyloo said:
I had something similar with my GPU. For over a year I troubleshot it to no avail. Until finally I found a suggestion somewhere that worked. You should give it a try it's very easy and fixed my problem.

First, shut your computer down.
When it's off, unplug it from the wall. (Very important! Do not skip this step!)
Okay with it unplugged press the power button on the front a few times to discharge any residual electricity.

Wait 30 seconds+/2 mins ish, doesn't matter as long as you wait a few seconds.
Reboot and try something stressful now that would have caused it to restart before.
??????
Profit?

Let me know how it works out for you. Hope it helps :) 

Well, I have done that process when I reseated the GPU so I dont think that would do it.

BUT, I ran memtest for a longer period, and it gave one error when I checked this morning (after 8 hours), unfortunatly, I was not able to read anything since the monitor was displaying some |9| character on the bottom 3/4 of the screen except for the time (couldnt even see how many passes but I am guessing around 8)

I am at work and started memtest this morning. Will research as to what can be done about it or if I have to send in the RAM for a replacement. Any help still appreciated.

Ata

m
l
April 23, 2012 5:23:18 PM

ataryens said:
I will check if its on 100 when I get home, but I didnt play around with it so I dont think it would be on something else.

Well, I have done that process when I reseated the GPU so I dont think that would do it.

BUT, I ran memtest for a longer period, and it gave one error when I checked this morning (after 8 hours), unfortunatly, I was not able to read anything since the monitor was displaying some |9| character on the bottom 3/4 of the screen except for the time (couldnt even see how many passes but I am guessing around 8)

I am at work and started memtest this morning. Will research as to what can be done about it or if I have to send in the RAM for a replacement. Any help still appreciated.

Ata

So basically you're saying you didn't actually try specifically what I told you to do? Good luck with your RAM.

m
l
April 23, 2012 5:49:42 PM

Turn off GPU Acceleration if it's enabled. The 68XX and 78XX cards have issues with it when it's enabled.
m
l
April 23, 2012 7:44:45 PM

@Moneyloo:
No need to get offended.
You say "Reboot and try something stressful now that would have caused it to restart before"
My problem isnt that my computer restarts, nor does it happen under stress. So if we dont share the same problem and it doesnt occur under the same condition and get offended when I tell you I have done it during the GPU reseating process....

@sk1939: this was suggested to others when I was reading up on how to fix the problem but mine was already on off.
m
l
April 23, 2012 8:10:20 PM

Not offended you misunderstand I'm typing from my iPhone so I'm trying to keep it short and sweet for the problem yes my computer used to do the black screen tutoring chrome so I would highly suggest you try it.
m
l
!