pc1600 or pc2100 with a7a266

G

I have 384mb of pc2100 currently in my system but it is not a great brand just picked it up at a show so I was thinking about getting two sticks of crucial 256mb ddr. I have asus a7a266 and do a lot of gaming. On the crucial site they list pc1600 cl=2 and pc2100 cl=2.5 there is no pc2100 cl=2 that I could find but it says for gaming the cl=2 is better. My question is should I go with 512mb of pc2100 cl=2.5 or 512mb of pc1600 cl=2?

"On a long enough timeline everyone's survival rate drops to zero!"

G

Yeah I did a little reading after I posted and realized it was a stupid question and I should have researched before asking. Does anybody know if there is better ram than the pc2100 cas 2.5 or should I definitly go with the crucial.

Just think when the price comes down and all the bugs are worked out it will be obsolete!

FatBurger

Illustrious
I don't THINK there is, but I could easily be wrong.

Crucial is good though, and it can very likely be pushed to 2, like Crash said.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I recommend the Crucial as some chipsets are picky about the grade of the memory, and Crucial sells very high grade super-compatable memory. Some brands do work, others don't, to avoid the necessity of keeping a list I always recommend Crucial.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
This is a quote from tom:

"However, I found out that Micron/Crucial's PC2100 CL 2.5 DDR-SDRAM runs 100% reliable at extremely fast memory timing settings, including a CAS-latency of 2."

I don't know if this mean's that Micron makes good quality RAM all the time, but he did say Micron/Crucial and Micron is the company that made the 128MB DDR Ram (Micron Chip-Non Registered)PC2100 Cas Latency 2 ram he was looking for. I found it at www.cnetpc.com for $26. Crashman I'm not sure if you'd know, but has Micro RAM generally been compatible? By high grade you meant high quality right? Thanks for your info.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Micron is generally compatable, but because some manufactures use lower grade chips or sell Cas3 as Cas2, you may have to exercise your right to return them if they don't work do to a manufacturing flaw. What I'm syaing is that the memory is compatable, but your chances of getting a defect are greatly incresed with third party manufacturers.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine