Sign in with
Your question

Quiet budget gaming build $700-1000

Last response: in Systems
June 18, 2012 4:40:49 AM

Hi everyone, I have the below build about halfway done. I'm a bit stuck on motherboard/ssd, and would like any feedback on overall direction.

Approximate Purchase Date: I'm in 'shut up and take my money!' mode, but I could wait a few weeks if needed.

Budget Range: $700-1000 all told

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 50+ tabs open in firefox, light gaming.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, monitor, mouse, dvd-drive, storage HD.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg is fine; will also be ordering from quietpc.com

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Probably want to go intel this time, and amd graphics.

Overclocking: Would consider, but probably not helpful given noise constraint.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1440 x 900. Might add a second, larger monitor in the next year or two, but not now.

Additional Comments: Really itching to play some diablo 3, but if I'm going to upgrade, I want quiet. I spend most of my time on the computer browsing the web while listening to my stereo. Doesn't have to be dead silent, but my several year old el-cheapo linux box has all kinds of unacceptable fan noise, electrical buzzing, etc. so I'd to upgrade, with a bit more future-proofing this time (upgrade the GPU/CPU or something).

I'm not really sure about what mobo or ssd and would like some guidance? Do some have better fan control? IEFI, usb3? The SSD, I am guessing 60-80 gigs in something reliable but good value.

I am thinking a sandy bridge i3 is the best value? I am not sure the degree to which browser rendering is CPU limited these days, vs connection latency, and if quad core would be significantly better. If an i5 woudl improve web browsing, I would spend for one. From the benchmark results, i5 isn't a big upgrade.

I'm more confident in the case, PSU. But any input on it would be appreciated.

Current build is:

Component Model Cost
Case - Arctic white fractal R3 $120
CPU i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz $125
MB ? $90
PSU Seasonic X-400 Fanless PSU $130
GPU Saphire fanless HD 7750 $124
CPU Fan ? probably depends on motherboard.
RAM 6 or 8 gigs of what matches the cpu/mobo. Probably should have some cooling fins? $50
SSD ? - $80
Windows7 - $120
TOTAL $889

Thanks.
June 18, 2012 7:45:17 AM

I would probably use the Antec P280 . Its better made than the R3 . With fans on low it is inaudible .
Having said that I dont believe its wise to use a fanless psu in a mount at the bottom of a case .Probably you have researched this , and maybe its OK if you have the air intake from under the computer
For you motherboard a model using the H61 or H67 chipset will be ideal . Just make sure it has 4 RAM slots

I would use a scythe ninja 3
http://www.quietpc.com/products/cpucoolers/ninja3
The ninja was originally designed to cool 65 watt cpu's without a fan . The 3 includes a speed controller and the low range should be inaudible in a quiet case . Chances are with an i3 it wont spin up beyond minimum rpm at any time other than boot if there is air flow in the case
m
l
!