Sign in with
Your question

Features for Graphics Cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 22, 2012 7:14:06 PM

I always wondered what people want in Graphics cards. I know for me, I would like to see lighting and shadowing behind and on objects and not hardcoppied on the screen. Also, textures to actually look real instead of looking fake. For example if you look at the floor in a call of duty game, you see cracks, but they look fake, it looks like you can't put your finger in it. So I wanted ask you all, what things do you want to see in graphics cards?
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2012 9:09:25 PM

PC Beginner said:
I always wondered what people want in Graphics cards. I know for me, I would like to see lighting and shadowing behind and on objects and not hardcoppied on the screen. Also, textures to actually look real instead of looking fake. For example if you look at the floor in a call of duty game, you see cracks, but they look fake, it looks like you can't put your finger in it. So I wanted ask you all, what things do you want to see in graphics cards?

Ambient Occlusion is a lighting technique that approximates the lighting in darker areas, such as corners. Though this is not a perfect technique and does have a significant performance hit when utilized. I believe this is an Nvidea technology. There are several pictures with sliders for before and after on http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Guides/five-fast-elder-... to give you an idea of the differences. you could also do some research into dynamic lighting.

As for your question though, i think the graphics in some games have gotten to be good enough where it is not terribly difficult to suspend your disbelief while playing, at least to some degree. For Example, have you ever been playing a game and you stopped doing whatever to look at something and thought wow that's really amazing? Or jumped when an explosion went off right next to your character? I think games are only going to get better graphically and more realistic with time.

One thing i've noticed that a lot of games fail in though is water effects. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRj8We3JpIk is a pretty good example of decent water effects, but there is no actual ebb and flow when looking at the shore. An ocean would actually be crashing against the bricks and shoreline and there would be a considerable amount of mist and spray. In skyrim, the vanilla game launched with very poor water effects. In most areas, water actually flowed in directions that did not match the flow of the river as a whole. The mod in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzbZhm0Uysw did a lot to improve on this flow and also improved the feel of waterfalls as well, but there is still a lot to be desired here. for example, the ocean along the norther coast has no waves, nor do the pieces of ice bob up in down in the water, even when you jump up and down on them.

Graphically, i think there is a lot of room for improvement with water.
a c 109 U Graphics card
April 23, 2012 8:17:10 AM

Much better Ambient Occlusion, Tessellation, and Global Illumination!
a c 181 U Graphics card
April 24, 2012 12:18:42 AM

^+1 and be able to see 3D with out glasses.
!