Win Media Player 10 Taskbar Icon Gone

D/loaded the Windows Media Player 10 for XP Pro last night and it installed
and plays fine. However, the Media Player icon that would normally appear
in the taskbar (just to the right of the Start button) is replaced with two
little greater-than symbols, i.e., >> (but smaller -- and kind of
superscripted).

All other icons -- Explorer, Outlook Express, and Show Desktop -- are
working fine. WTF, O?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about media player taskbar icon gone

    Hi Jab,

    This happens to let you know that there are more icons than can be displayed
    in that particular notification area (prob quicklaunch). Just rightclick the
    taskbar and unlock it, you should then be able to drag the viewing area to
    the right to reveal the hidden icons. Once done you can re-lock the taskbar.

    Andy

    "Just another brother on lockdown" <jab@theBigHouse.com> wrote in message
    > D/loaded the Windows Media Player 10 for XP Pro last night and it
    installed
    > and plays fine. However, the Media Player icon that would normally appear
    > in the taskbar (just to the right of the Start button) is replaced with
    two
    > little greater-than symbols, i.e., >> (but smaller -- and kind of
    > superscripted).
    >
    > All other icons -- Explorer, Outlook Express, and Show Desktop -- are
    > working fine. WTF, O?
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks!

    If you're using the English version of XP, try this:

    Open this folder, from Start/Run:
    %appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

    Double-click to open the Desktop.ini file.
    Under "[LocalizedFileNames]" section delete the line related to Windows
    Media Player.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Just another brother on lockdown" <jab@theBigHouse.com> wrote in message
    > D/loaded the Windows Media Player 10 for XP Pro last night and it
    > installed
    > and plays fine. However, the Media Player icon that would normally appear
    > in the taskbar (just to the right of the Start button) is replaced with
    > two
    > little greater-than symbols, i.e., >> (but smaller -- and kind of
    > superscripted).
    >
    > All other icons -- Explorer, Outlook Express, and Show Desktop -- are
    > working fine. WTF, O?
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Umm.. You're talking about the chevron? If so, ignore my previous reply.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > If you're using the English version of XP, try this:
    >
    > Open this folder, from Start/Run:
    > %appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
    >
    > Double-click to open the Desktop.ini file.
    > Under "[LocalizedFileNames]" section delete the line related to Windows
    > Media Player.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Just another brother on lockdown" <jab@theBigHouse.com> wrote in message
    >> D/loaded the Windows Media Player 10 for XP Pro last night and it
    >> installed
    >> and plays fine. However, the Media Player icon that would normally
    >> appear
    >> in the taskbar (just to the right of the Start button) is replaced with
    >> two
    >> little greater-than symbols, i.e., >> (but smaller -- and kind of
    >> superscripted).
    >>
    >> All other icons -- Explorer, Outlook Express, and Show Desktop -- are
    >> working fine. WTF, O?
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    "Andrew Bailey" <andy.j.bailey@ntlworld.com> wrote in
    I feel like such a moron. Thanks Andy.

    --

    > Hi Jab,
    >
    > This happens to let you know that there are more icons than can be
    > displayed in that particular notification area (prob quicklaunch).
    > Just rightclick the taskbar and unlock it, you should then be able to
    > drag the viewing area to the right to reveal the hidden icons. Once
    > done you can re-lock the taskbar.
    >
    > Andy

Configuration Taskbar Media Player Windows XP