Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Roughly 9 days till I buy my parts. How's she looking?

Last response: in Systems
June 18, 2012 9:03:14 AM

Well a little more than a week from now I'll be ordering all my shiny little components to put together my first PC. (I might wait till the July 4th weekend due to hopefully nice sales) And I've tweaked it a bit more from last week.

Still running it on a 32" Coby LED 1360 x 768. (Will upgrade that down the line)

Case: Corsair 300R

ODD: Asus DVD+CD

MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V

CPU: i5-3570k

GPU: MSi GTX 670 Twin Frozr IV

PSU: Corsair Enthusiast 750w

RAM: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB 1866

SSD: Corsair Force Series 120GB

CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Dark Knight II

HDD: Whatever i find on sale the day I order, most likely a 7200rpm 1TB (insert brand here)

Any comments or concerns? I intend to try and post pictures when I'm done. (If i can find a camera that isn't utterly terrible)

PS- Will the CPU cooler interfere with the RAM? If so I can change the cooler I was thinking about it anyway what with that Coolermaster 212 I here such good things about. (I plan on an overclock of around 4.4 to 4.5ghz for reference) Thanks in advance.
June 18, 2012 9:09:39 AM

I'd get something liked the Corsair H60 or H80.
Those definitely won't interfere with RAM.
The 212 is small but the new Ivy Bridge CPU gets heated much higher than Sandy Bridge clock for clock.
Rest if fine, but Crucial/Samsung have better SSD.
And get Seagate Barracuda 1TB 64MB cache version.
June 18, 2012 9:11:02 AM

Nah it Wont Interfere, dont worry, i love the Xigmatek Dark knight, I got one too, got nice temps i recently sold my system to get a new one, and the only 2 thinks i keeped were the Dark Knight and the Old Psu.

Overcloking to 4.4 - 4.6 its really easy with the I5 2500k, I Havent Heard Good things about the Ivy Bridge....
Related resources
June 18, 2012 9:16:16 AM

I was actually seriously considering the H80. Still am to a point, depends on what sales show up. Also I personally haven't really heard anything bad about Ivy Bridge but maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough? Oh well, I was originally going to throw an FX-4170 in there but Intel dug their claws into me. (Also if it comes down between the Dark Knight II and the H80? Coin flip. Coin flip always decides)
June 18, 2012 9:20:47 AM

Reverend_Mason said:
I was actually seriously considering the H80. Still am to a point, depends on what sales show up. Also I personally haven't really heard anything bad about Ivy Bridge but maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough? Oh well, I was originally going to throw an FX-4170 in there but Intel dug their claws into me. (Also if it comes down between the Dark Knight II and the H80? Coin flip. Coin flip always decides)

I'd get the Corsair H80 and Ivy Bridge CPUs get hotter clock for clock.
http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/ivy-bridge-chips-run...
Maybe wait for newer revisions of the 3770k or go for 2700k.
June 18, 2012 9:22:47 AM

By all means the H80. Its Better. your Pc will Be More silent ,Will look Cleaner, Wont Have Turbulence Problems(like in my old case) and definitly it Cools Better. Meh Ivy Bridge are Okey, but its has the same performance as Sandy Bridge , its only a Step Stone for Haswell (New Intel Cpu Model). I would Rather go Sandy Bridge with the H80 as Bawss said.
June 18, 2012 9:27:01 AM

chulex67 said:
By all means the H80. Its Better. your Pc will Be More silent ,Will look Cleaner, Wont Have Turbulence Problems(like in my old case) and definitly it Cools Better. Meh Ivy Bridge are Okey, but its has the same performance as Sandy Bridge , its only a Step Stone for Haswell (New Intel Cpu Model). I would Rather go Sandy Bridge with the H80 as Bawss said.

Maybe with a bigger (full-tower) case you could add the H100 which is 5 more dollars expensive if you're in USA.
Something like NZXT Phantom, if you like the look.
Does look nice tbh.
June 18, 2012 9:29:02 AM

Well you've sold me on the H80 at least, and I will most likely upgrade to the 4th gen Intel when it releases next Spring. Of course by then I might have more cash flow to get a Thunderbolt enabled motherboard...
June 18, 2012 9:29:39 AM

bawss said:
Maybe with a bigger (full-tower) case you could add the H100 which is 5 more dollars expensive if you're in USA.
Something like NZXT Phantom, if you like the look.
Does look nice tbh.

My next build will defiantly be a full size.
June 18, 2012 9:34:04 AM

mmm H100 and a Full Tower.

Remember, the Cpu Heatsink, The Case , The psu and the Hard Drive are always Re- Usable. Dont go Cheap on them.
June 18, 2012 9:38:44 AM

chulex67 said:

Remember, the Cpu Heatsink, The Case , The psu and the Hard Drive are always Re- Usable. Dont go Cheap on them.

Also SSD, ODD and RAM :) 
June 18, 2012 9:39:58 AM

chulex67 said:

If it's one thing I had drilled into me while learning about building my own it's don't skimp. Especially on the PSU. For me it's Corsair all the way.

Best solution

June 18, 2012 9:42:48 AM

Yes sir, Corsair is the way.

But Good Old Plain Black Antec is nice tooo.
June 18, 2012 9:44:21 AM

Seasonic is probably the best PSU manufacturer and with Corsair coming second.
I have a Corsair AX750 since Seasonic is pretty expensive in Australia.
June 18, 2012 9:48:50 AM

I try not to think about Australia to much. Your abundance or horrifying creatures scares and disturbs me. Also I'm thinking my next case in the full size area might be an Antec. The DF-85 looks pretty damn shiny.
June 18, 2012 9:54:15 PM

All these delicious monitor sales on Tiger Direct...maybe I should invest? 3D capable monitors are still not as cheap though and that would be a nice little addition to have..
June 18, 2012 10:05:40 PM

I like the hydro series however they are known to be noisy buggers no?
June 18, 2012 10:21:52 PM

Doesn't matter to me, I personally enjoy something that sounds like a jet engine running beside me. Makes it seem more powerful.
June 22, 2012 1:04:24 AM

Best answer selected by Reverend_Mason.
!