Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Homebuilt vs Prebuilt decision advice

Last response: in Systems
June 18, 2012 9:57:30 AM

Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz, Gigabyte Geforce GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores @ 900MHz, ASrock Extreme3 Gen3, Corsair XMS3 4x2GB DIMMs, 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM in RAID 1, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, 1x Seagate Momentus 160GB 7200RPM (For FRAPS), Cooler Master HAF 912.

^ Is that a good gaming rig?

or is this one better for gaming?

v

i5- 2500k 3.7 GHz (gonna overclock that *** when it comes in)
Coolermaster CPU cooler Hyper 212+
Corsair Vengeance 8gb memory
Asus P8Z77-V motherboard
Dual GTX 560 Ti cards (Overclocking as well)
120gb SSD HD | 1tb HDD for storage
Rosewill lightning series 1000w powersupply

Finally the pre-built I have a $100 discount toward http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

I would use any of these for gaming I don't play on high graphical settings btw as I am mostly a console games the "ooh purdy" effect of comp gaming doesn't phase me.. I just want a functional rig that could play a skyrim a SWTOR or D3 maybe BF3? Not sure ty for any and all help/suggestions.

Cheers
June 18, 2012 10:27:56 AM

The 2nd one is better because it have dual GTX560 Ti & an SSD. The question is at what price does these come in?

But if you do not like those "purdy" effects, the 1st one is fine. It does not specify the power supply for it though. And is there any chance to change the components for this?
m
l
June 18, 2012 11:09:53 AM

if you choose the second one dont start of with sli .
m
l
Related resources
June 18, 2012 4:22:36 PM

Those are builds from guys who were explaining to me their current builds I was trying to see who had the better build to of course pan out who would build me a better machine.

And the prices for those machines the first one I'm not terribly sure but the second is under 1200 so far is what he said got a deal with the graphics cards or something that knocked off 100 I believe he mentioned?

Thanks for the replies, if I decide to go custom built off a website or something what site would you homebuilt guys direct me toward?
m
l
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
June 18, 2012 4:28:26 PM

I think the 2nd guy is getting you off to a bad start by thinking that SLI 560 TIs is a better option then say going with a single GTX 580. 2 GTX 560 TI's are going to use a lot more electricity.

Really even a single 560 TI has fallen out of favor, as its fairly useless at its price point due to the fact that 6870s are cheaper and perform almost as well as they do, and 7850s are slightly more expensive and stomp them into the ground.
m
l
June 18, 2012 4:31:14 PM

As far as the prebuilt from TigerDirect is concern. theres absolutely no advantage for gamers with the i7. No game on the market today uses HyperThreading (which is what the i7 has that the i5 doesn't) and its not likely that HT ever will be used in gaming.

The video card is also a weak gaming card, really that TigerDirect Gateway is better suited as a high end business computer not a gamer.

Edit:

Quote:

Thanks for the replies, if I decide to go custom built off a website or something what site would you homebuilt guys direct me toward?

I honestly would order the parts from Newegg or tigerdirect and build it yourself, the dirty little secret thats starting to get out is, building your own computer isn't really that hard, especially in the age of the internet where information in the form of step by step guides are plentiful.
m
l
June 18, 2012 11:51:12 PM

^+1. This is what I always tell people. One's need for PC is always very specific with regards to budget & preferences. There is no pre-built machine that will give the optimum option for one. Most pre-builders will offer the most that will give the highest profit at the time even if it is grossly unbalanced.
m
l
June 19, 2012 9:17:58 AM

nekulturny said:
I think the 2nd guy is getting you off to a bad start by thinking that SLI 560 TIs is a better option then say going with a single GTX 580. 2 GTX 560 TI's are going to use a lot more electricity.

Really even a single 560 TI has fallen out of favor, as its fairly useless at its price point due to the fact that 6870s are cheaper and perform almost as well as they do, and 7850s are slightly more expensive and stomp them into the ground.

that's the opposite if what i said . i said don't get sli first so that he starts with a single card .
m
l
June 19, 2012 10:57:53 AM

I watched Neweggs videos on how to build a computer after studying up and reading a lot, I successfully built a my first computer. It was fun and not too hard. I also got lucky and had no DOA parts but, I did try and buy most of my parts at the local electronics store. I suggest building your own, it is well worth it.
m
l
June 19, 2012 12:08:19 PM

9_breaker said:
that's the opposite if what i said . i said don't get sli first so that he starts with a single card .

LOL, I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about the 2nd guy on the OP's post. Sorry for the confusion.
m
l

Best solution

June 19, 2012 3:11:27 PM

The build would be pretty decent, but theres a couple things that should be addressed.

First, I would go with a different power supply. Rosewill does have a couple decent models of PSUs, however largely they are not well known for good PSUs. Also, the wattage is cutting it close, especially if you get into overclocking.

I would go with this power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The video card is out of stock because its practically brand spanking new, but its worth having if you can wait a bit for a GTX 670 to be available.

This one is in stock and available:

Also your hard drive is a laptop hard drive.

Slightly better motherboard with a 1 year longer warranty:
June 19, 2012 3:13:38 PM

Lian Li makes decent cases but if I had to say it was better than a Corsair 650D, I'd have to say no. Personally I have an NZXT Phantom, in my opinion its an awesome case and cheaper than the Corsair case.
m
l
June 19, 2012 5:12:47 PM

Thanks for the replies nek would the phantom be an easy case for me to build in? That case has a ready made tutorial so I was just wondering lol

Oh and a solid state drive they keep telling me it would be better for my gaming but I'm not sure if that's true?

edit

This one is at my local pc shop would it be comparable to the one you posted? Or should I just get the one from new egg?

and a monitor suggestion?
m
l
June 19, 2012 9:54:34 PM

No problem,

Phantoms are HUGE cases, I can't imagine anyone would have trouble building a computer in them. They may not look so big from the picture (at least when I ordered it I didn't fully appreciate how big it was until the UPS guy dropped it off).

SSDs are purely a luxury item, they are not going to improve your gaming FPS or anything like that. The only thing they will do is reduce your load time. If you have the money for one, my advice is to get a Crucial M4 thats at least 128GB, but really whats going on in your life thats so important you need the faster load time when the level of the game changes? You still want to have a regular hard drive as your secondardy, as obviously 128GB could be filled up quickly.

Heres a good one if you can afford it:

I'd say that video card is comparable yes.

Monitors I'm not super picky about, but definitely don't spend too much on em. I will say that having double monitors is very nice. Once you go dual you won't go back but here is a decent 1080 monitor, widescreen if you're into that sort of thing:

m
l
June 20, 2012 12:07:56 AM

Lol good comparable or it's feasible at best comparable?

And I'm waiting to check the monitors available down here because I don't think they carry any Acer but of course as soon as that's over I'll give you best answer.
m
l
June 20, 2012 12:33:08 AM

Quote:
Lol good comparable or it's feasible at best comparable?

Based on brand reputation I would consider them comparable in the truest sense of the word. EVGA makes great video cards, and so does MSI.

As far as monitors, like I said, I'm not too terribly picky about computer monitors. I have a dual monitor setup of older 720p monitors. They're good enough for my purposes, for a gamer with good attention to detail I'd be looking for 1080p especially with a GTX 670, you want to get a fairly good one, but I wouldn't spend more than $200 on one for sure.

If you go with a dual monitor setup, game on one, use the other for multitasking like I do, you can mix and match. Get a cheap one from a yardsale or a walmart special.
m
l
June 20, 2012 8:41:14 AM

Best answer selected by that1bozo.
m
l
!