Fan stickers...

artifexmortis

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
Hello everyone... I know this may sound kinda stupid compared to the other problems on the forum but here it goes:

I have this fan, a regular cooling case fan 80mm... it started to make noise so I peeled off the sticker in the centre and poured some oil to lubrify it. I sealed it with the sticker (which lost a bit of its sticky property)and cap which it had. All was fine and dandy for a few days... then the fan made noise again, so I opened it up and noticed that the sticker was under a layer of oil because it leaked out from the centre of the fan while spinning...
The sticker now unusable, I decided to use another method: regular scotch tape. only thing is that the same thing happened again (oh and yes, I did clean the surface to make sure there was no oil when laying the tape)...
Basically the only way I can explain it to myself is that the sticker doesn't create enough vacuum to hold everything in place... and anyway I don't know if its a question of using some kind of "special fan sticker"or something... I even researched if u could buy these as I fear the same thing will happen to other fans eventually... but if they exist they must have some specific name other than "fan stickers" cus I found nothing relevant.

I can always order a new fan from the net for 5 bucks but I think its a pity cus the fan still works and I would rather know how to fix this problem properly. It occurred to me that I might be using a "wrong type of oil"or doing something else wrong. If so please do tell or redirect me to the right source of info.

I don't know if this topic has already been discussed but its kind of a "hard-to-formulate-question" for google, so please do have patience if this has already been answered somewhere, its not to waste your time. Thx

attacus

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
The stickers just tell you which end of the fan is the exhaust and which is the intake. If your fan needs lubricating then it's better to get a new fan altogether than try to repair it. The best thing you can do now is buy a replacement fan.