Sign in with
Your question

Am I getting ripped off?

Last response: in Systems
June 18, 2012 10:41:22 AM

Hey guys,

So I am planing on getting a new business computer and money is no limit but I want value for money.
I dont need anything super amazing just something fast and very reliable.

I rang up my local computer store and asked to build me something these are the parts he plans to put in.

Intel i7 Quadcore 3.4ghz CPU
8 GIG RAM
1 GIG of Graphics
500 GIG Hard Drive (im not sure if its a SSD or not but I know I want an SSD but only need around 200 GIG at the most)
A DVD burner
Windows 7

Im not sure on the Motherboard or the case but all up he is going to charge me
$1220

Do you think this is a fair price?

Can you recommend anything that might be better value for money?

NOTE: I live in Australia

More about : ripped

June 18, 2012 11:00:09 AM

I'm assuming the $1220 is Australian? What is the conversion factor to US? Also, we need exact part names please to better gauge the value.
m
l
June 18, 2012 11:06:03 AM

US its more or less $1 to $1 with australia but in aus we pay and extra 10% in GST so would roughly be anout $1100 USD
AS for the part names im not to sure but i went on amazon and just got the middle range of each part and my total came up to around $770 (roughly converted to AUD) not including the case, PSU and Mother board so maybe its not to bad?
m
l
Related resources
June 18, 2012 11:08:36 AM

the currency is pretty much the same but things are a bit more expensive . you might as well go to Harvey Norman for better value .
m
l
June 18, 2012 11:12:41 AM

As l0v3rboi said we need exact part names to be able to make any suggestions.

The 500GB is not going to be an SSD as 512GB SSD's are crazy expensive.

Dependent on parts it seems reasonable though. Please make him gve you a list for each of the parts listed below:

Processor (model e.g. 2500K)

Motherboard (what chipset e.g. z77, manufacturer e.g. asus and model e.g. p8z77-LX)

RAM (memory)(manufacturer e.g. gskill, speed e.g. 1600MHz and timings e.g. cas9 or 9-9-9-9-24)

Graphics (manufacturer e.g. MSI, chipset e.g. GTX 560 Ti, VRAM e.g. 1GB)

Hard drive/SSD (manufacturer e.g. samsung and model number e.g. HD103SJ)

case (manufacturer and model)

Power supply (EXTREMELY IMPORTANT as it's a shop built one) (brand e.g. corsair, model e.g. cx500 and potentially also the wattage e.g. 500Watts)

Give us all that and we can help
m
l
June 18, 2012 11:15:50 AM

I actually have your build for about $600 US (I'm being generous) at the moment.A good quality PSU, MoBo, and case around $300 US. Of course you're paying for tax and his time too so I would say it is not so bad. Unless, of course, he decides to skimp out on the parts and still charge you the same as the quality ones.

Based on my estimates though, he is using a regular HDD and not an SSD. Also, he is using onboard graphics instead of buying a dedicated GPU (not a problem since you said its a work station unless of course you are doing 3d rendering and such).
m
l
June 18, 2012 11:22:12 AM

Ya thats not a bad price really i own a small comp shop and thats roughly what i would charge..
m
l
June 18, 2012 11:22:35 AM

l0v3rboi said:
I actually have your build for about $600 US (I'm being generous) at the moment.A good quality PSU, MoBo, and case around $300 US. Of course you're paying for tax and his time too so I would say it is not so bad. Unless, of course, he decides to skimp out on the parts and still charge you the same as the quality ones.

Based on my estimates though, he is using a regular HDD and not an SSD. Also, he is using onboard graphics instead of buying a dedicated GPU (not a problem since you said its a work station unless of course you are doing 3d rendering and such).

thanks + he is going to help me organize all my old files and its good to support local business's so i guess he is charging a fair price for prats and his time, thanks for the advice guys :) 
m
l
!