DVI to HDMI cable vs audioquest HDMI

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
hello guys, how you all doin?
well I am here to ask about something that some of you would think am such an ediot for asking!, so here is the situation.
I currently use my gaming reg on a 32inch 120hz 1080p LCD LG, this screen only has HDMI and VGA inputs, so natually I would be using HDMI from my graphic card to HDMI connector on the LCD, everything went fine until one day I decided to try on the vga connector from my graphic card to the LCD and to my surprise I got a slightly more vibrant colors, so I decided to go ahead and purchase a DVI to HDMI connector from amazon (amazon connect cable), so when I got the cable I connected it and compared it to the HDMI cable and the picture is slighly more vibrant.

so I am really confused since I have purchased this audioquest HDMI cable cinnamon and compared it to the DVI to HDMI amazon connect cable and there is a slight different in colors, very slight I am sure if I ask anyone to take a look no one would notice a different.

I really need some advice here, should I be using the 1ft audioquest HDMI cable or should I use DVI to HDMI cable from amazon, I would really love someone who has lot of experience in this to reply to me with some details on why should I be using this instead of that, I would really appreciate the help here.

note:I know HDMI carry audio and protected materials can only be viewed fully through HDMI
I don`t need the audio since I have adedicated sound card.
I use my computer for almost EVERYTHING, but mostly gaming.

thank you all for your help in advance ^_^

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
H,i thanks for the warm greeting, welcome to Tom's.

I personally prefer DVI myself due to HDMI's just bending and eventually breaking.
Picture quality is the same for me weather it is HDMI or DVI, only VGA looks different ;)
cheers bro thank you for the warm welcome and for your quick readin and reply, the HDMI cable I have costs roughly 60$ 1FT and the DVI to HDMI costs roughly 20$ 4FT, they both look very alike except for example if you see the red color here on toms it looks tighter on the HDMI while little more vibrant on DVI to HDMI cable.

it so confusing which on to choose! :whistle:

sk1939

Distinguished

The Audioquest cable was frankly a waste of money, as are most digital boutique cables. HDMI is digital, 1 and 0's, and it either works or it doesn't. The DVI connection will look about the same, depending on how vibrancy is set on the card, and if it can find a profile via DDC. Also, DVI supports HDCP as well, so it would be a non-issue with copy protected materials.

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

I just figured that out few hours ago @_@, :fou: and honestly the 6950 seems to output better picture through DVI to HDMI one thing thu are you sure about protected materials, full HD contnent ?

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
so appearntly the only reason the cable I bought is expensive is cuz of the high quality audio transfer feature or something, otherwise its the same as any other hdmi cable, I have disconnected it and connected back to my old amazon basic DVI to HDMI cable, which appearntly after making more comparision resulted in a more sharp vibrant picture than AUDIOQUEST HDMI cable, and since am not going to use use the audio feature and you guys confirmed me that I can view protected materials as well so I have reverted back to my old set up and connection, I even re-arranged everything as it were since the HDMI cable was too short for the pc and monitor so I had to move the computer case to the other side of the monitor.....
thats what happens when you buy something expensive without researching, you keep convincing your self it`s better so you won`t have to live with the guilt of being ripped off, more like psychoacoustics #_#.

thanks guys I really appreciate your help, at least now I can have a piece of mind know the cable I have is the better one.

well cheer for all have a good day :)

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

I live In Libya, they would definitly buy it here if it was related to audio, but an HDMI cable for 60$, no one would ever think of buying and only by looking at it and how small and short it is they would immediatly think its a rip off, I mean the thing is so short, its only 1feet, I will probably keep it and give it as a present to one of my friends who is into home theatre setup, since it would be most benifited. ;)