Help me finish a 1680x1060 Gaming build! Also opinions wnated

kyonsuzumiyakun

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
I'll probably be ordering today to take advantage of a newegg shell shocker on 120gb ssd but my main goal is to build a computer that will run things like source games, starcraft 2, and diablo 3 at smooth(above 40 fps minimum really) frame rates at medium to high settings. Really though how it looks isn't the biggest deal to me. Added bonuses would be abilities to get battlefield 3 playing at all on a acceptable smoothness with lowered detail. The goal is to say as under $450 as I can, but get it up to $550 and I wouldn't be heartbroken.

I really won't be using this computer for anything but gaming and I guess my desk computer. I have a macbook pro (I know kill me :p) and budget toshiba laptop for general computing, every day use, media, software, etc... so multitasking isn't something that I will even bother.

Knowing that I've decided to go with...

Intel G630 Dual Core @ 67.99 on newegg
-I know for only a couple bucks more there's the G860 I believe but I'm not sure if the added .3ghz is worth the extra $13. From reading some benchmarks and going off some things I've found on the site, it seems that the G630 is more than adequate for my goals. I don't even know if the .3ghz advantage in the G860 is anything worth noting beyond the fact that I believe this cpu isn't overclockable. I'd appreciate some thoughts on this, should I maybe even go lower or aim higher?

HIS H777F1G2M Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card @ $119.99
-Not much here, I was originally planning to go with the 6790 going off the May recommendations but there were only two options on newegg, this was around the same price or less even and $10 more then the 7750 so I figured why not.

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) @ $43.99
-I know 8GBs is probably overkill and I only need 4 if this is solely a dedicated gaming rig but ram is so cheap I figured why not, if I need to go down to 4GB to stay in a budget I will but for now I'm fine with it.

The next two are the ones I'm really iffy about as I don't fully understand how these things work together but for the mobo I picked...

OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) @ 79.99
-I've read mixed reviews about Sandforce and would have preferred something from Samsung but for the price this seems like a sale and there's an additional $10 mail in rebate. I like the idea of fast boot times but this is where I'm wondering if my CPU choice will have any outstanding negative effects on a ssd. Should I aim higher for my CPU to take advantage of things like fast boot and quick map load times? Does CPU have any large effects on the speed of my ssd?

GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3V LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard @ $69.99
-This board is pricier then I would have hoped but it comes pretty feature packed and really I just figured the supported pci express 3.0 and sata 6 only helps rationalize my gpu and ssd respectively.
(with all these components so far if you have any suggestions or know of anything that would run together more effectively please let me know)

Now I just need to find a decent case, hopefully with good airflow, and a psu. From a quick glance it looks like my consumption is on the lower end of the 250 watts range so a 300 watt psu should be adequate? Anyone know of a good micro atx case? I would like to keep this build as small as possible if possible; some lower profile slim cases are somethings I'm interested in.

My total with tax on newegg comes out to a rounded up $417 so it seems like I'll have to go a little over my $450 goal, though I could sacrifice the ram and get an extra $20 to stay in my range but if I hate $500 and pass it, I won't be bothered.

p.s. I know I didn't list an optical drive but I have a sata one laying and will probably take it out after my use with it anywho.

kyonsuzumiyakun

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
The other thing worth noting is I do actually have a spare hitachi 7200rpm 500GB harddrive laying around that I've mostly used for storage. Elimating the cost of a hard drive would mean I take one of the system builders build I've been reading about and get it even cheaper. The ssd really cuts into my budget and even with the discount it's still $80 that could go towards a better cpu or gpu, but I don't know if it'll really matter if 1680x1050 is the only monitor I have right now and am not planning to get a new one soon.