Need help fast, comp boots for 2 seconds then shuts down

jibbajoe0129

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
So im in the middle of building two new computers for my work, meaning i have 2 of everything currently. i just put the first computer together and upon the first hit of the power switch, EVERYTHING turns on. lights in the mobo, fans go, cd drive lights up, HDD sounds like its spinning, the video card fan is spinning, and the initial bios screen comes up on the monitor. However the CPU fan never turns on. when the power is hit the fan twitches but never turns. im pretty sure the system shuts off to protect the cpu which makes sense .

Since i have 2 of everything here is what i tried: i plugged in the other cpu fan but got the same result. i unplugged the psu from everything except the motherboard and got the same result. i plugged in the 2nd psu just to the mobo and got the same result.

Could my motherboard be bad?? any help would be greatly appreciated, i need to get this fixed fast or my boss is going to begin to think a custom pc build was a terrible idea.

Heres whats inside:
Corsair tx650w
16gig G.Skill DDR3
lg dvd burner
sapphire Radeon HD 6870
WD VelociRaptor 300gb
GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4

jibbajoe0129

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
I appreciate the response but no offense, i dont come to Tom's Hardware for people to tell me to check the cables. I come here once ive tried all the obvious solutions. Yes, the 24pin and the 8 pin are connected.

I did some research on these boards and some Newegg reviews say they were victims of a "bootloop" problem. a quick google search and i found a forum of a person saying that had 6 consecutive boards from gigabyte that had the bootloop problem.

Unless i can find a quick solution to this bootloop problem, i think im just going to return the boards. i tried the second motherboard and have the same exact issue.

1tym

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
ivy bridge cpus can be used with z68 chipsets you just need a bios update and the boards that have been sitting on the shelf in the warehouses for months obviously wont have the latest. But glad you found your potential problem. Hope you dont think gigabyte is a bad manufacturer because they do make some good reliable products.

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

Well your a complete moron if you think that we will assume you did everything correctly. Forgetting the 8pin cable is the most cummon error we hear on these board when poeple come here and describe the problem you do have.

But well no offence.