OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W
Asrock Extreme3 Gen 3
Intel I5-2500k
8gb Gskill DDR3
2 HDDS
2 SSDS
1 DVD R/W
7 fans (2- 120 and 5- 140)

I was moving my rig to a new case. Hooked everything up, and it booted up just fine. Realized I forgot to plug in the DVD. Already tied down cables, but had an empty slot in the PSU, so I plugged in another cable and plugged in the DVD. The rig wouldn't power up. It just blinked.

Then I went from bad to worse. I rewired the 5 140 fans into a molex chain and used the same cable, which had a sata plug, to power up the DVD. Still wouldn't fire up. I moved the cable to another socket in the PSU.....still nothing. I tried a different cable. Nothing.

I should note that my new case is a Fractal Design R4 that has a 3 fan controller built in. I wanted to use all 5 fans on that controller, so I used splitters on two of them. When I tried unplugging the DVD again and going to square one I noticed the molex from the fan controller was getting hot and starting to smoke. Immediate disconnected it.

What the heck am I doing wrong...........Please advise. Thx

More about : power supply problem

October 21, 2012 1:53:29 AM

That's weird.. I have more hardware plugged into my 650w power supply so a 700w should be able to handle it. It's either the PSU have low amperage or under rated for some reason. You need an amp meter to verify that.

Here's a comparable amp-load chart based on a review
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/03/03/ocz_modxstrea...
m
l
October 21, 2012 1:59:58 AM

najirion said:
That's weird.. I have more hardware plugged into my 650w power supply so a 700w should be able to handle it. It's either the PSU have low amperage or under rated for some reason. You need an amp meter to verify that.

Here's a comparable amp-load chart based on a review
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/03/03/ocz_modxstrea...

Thanks for the reply. I recall having a similar problem with it not accepting an additional cable, even though the empty slot was there and it should have plenty of power. I question if it's got a bad rail. I am also surprised about the fan controller cable getting so hot.......That too seems like a defective PSU issue.

If it's a bad PSU......I'll feel better. I'll order a new one (Not OCZ this time) and make a warranty claim.

I welcome other input.

Thx again
m
l
!