Sign in with
Your question

Eyefinity on 1 GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 23, 2012 12:39:02 AM

I am looking for some advice. I currently am running two Hanns-G 28 inch monitors
I was thinking about upgrading to 3 x Asus 23.5 inch monitors

So I have a few questions:
1. Are those monitors good for eyfinity?
2. The monitor says that is does not have a display port, do I need to but something for eyefinity to work?
3. The monitor has a LED Backlight, how important is that?
3. Since I only have one ati 6970 2gb ram, can I still game at the huge resolution, I would be playing eve online, skyrim, and the total war series.
4. I have always used 1920x1200 is going down to 1920x1080 going to drive me crazy?
5. Any other advice or words of caution would be great.

More about : eyefinity gpu

a c 153 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 23, 2012 12:50:12 AM

Why don't you just get a third Hanns-G 28 inch (provided it works with eyefinity)?

I don't know anything about Eyefinity for requirements really, just that you need display-port or an active display-port adapter.

I can tell you that for a single screen going from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080 is horrible for me. Personally I hate it. I've been using 1920x1200 for over 5 years. When I game on my friends' 1920x1080 it makes me nauseous and I get headaches (only in FPSs). This doesn't happen on consoles for me, just when I'm close to the screen, as in PC gaming.
m
l
April 23, 2012 12:58:14 AM

well the bezel on the hanns-g is gigantic and they cost 269.00 and if I bought 3 23.6" displays it will cost me just under $500 and then I can sell my two 28s so in the end it would not be expensive.
m
l
Related resources
a c 153 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 23, 2012 1:02:19 AM

Oh I was just wondering because my buddy has the same hanns-g monitors (2 of them) and they are amazing.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 23, 2012 1:31:32 AM

I've been running an EyeFinity setup before it was even officially EyeFinity so I'll try to answer your questions.

1.) The monitors are good, but for $25 more you can get ASUS monitors that have displayPorts. Model VE248Q (I bought 3 of these in February). If you monitor newegg you can actually catch them on sale for under $200.

2.) I believe the 6 series is capable of using both dvi ports and the HDMI port at the same time (my old 5850 could not). As long as this is the case you wont need an adapter. If they have the limitations like the old 5 series you will need a display port to DVI adapter if you go with the monitor you showed.

3.) LED is better than LCD. When buying new monitors now as long as you can afford it go with LED.

3.) Yes you will be able to game at 5760x1080 BUT you will not be able to max out the games settings with your current card. (To max EyeFinity CrossFire is pretty much a requirement).

4.) Some people will nitpick and complain about the drop but it shouldnt be that big of a deal.

5.) My biggest recommendation would be if that you're buying new monitors, go ahead and get the ones with DisplayPorts. If you want to be able to crank up the settings while at EyeFinity resolution, consider adding another 6970 for crossfire.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 23, 2012 1:33:43 AM

tianlongprc said:
I am looking for some advice. I currently am running two Hanns-G 28 inch monitors

2. The monitor says that is does not have a display port, do I need to but something for eyefinity to work?
3. Since I only have one ati 6970 2gb ram, can I still game at the huge resolution, I would be playing eve online, skyrim, and the total war series.
4. I have always used 1920x1200 is going down to 1920x1080 going to drive me crazy?

1. They look pretty good. However, if you play mmo's or rts games, you may want rotatable monitors. Monitors that rotate from landscape to portrait. As rts and mmo's look better in portrait, not so stretched. Or if you intend on going 3D you will need a refresh rate of at least 120Hz.
2. Yes. You will need an ACTIVE displayport/dvi adapter. A list of approved dongles here: http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-don...
3. Very, with no backlight you get no picture. LED backlighting is better than ccfl backlighting as the backlight can be turned off to reproduce blacker blacks. Whereas with ccfl backlighting the backlight brightness is just turned down. This is why some lcd blacks look grey. Also doesn't use as much power apparently.
3. Probably, (need the rest of your specs) but you may need to turn details down or off.
4. Don't know. You're in a better position to answer that. Have you gamed at 1080? Did it drive you crazy?
5. Make sure all your drivers and CCC are up to the latest version.

Good Luck.
m
l
April 23, 2012 1:35:14 AM

I just noticed that monitor I was looking at only has a refresh rate of 75mhz is that going to be OK, or do I need to get to 120mhz?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 23, 2012 1:38:55 AM

60hz is standard on a Computer LCD or LED. 75 will be just fine. The 120's are usually the 3d displays.
m
l
April 23, 2012 1:39:02 AM

tianlongprc said:

I'm running Eyefinity with 3 24" monitors (2 Acer 24" LEDs and an older 24 inch HannsG) with 2 5850s in CF. It's fun. However I just bought the 27.5 " Hanns G HZ 281 and OMG I love it. I really think you will miss your 28" monitors if you sell them. Pick up another one and run Eyefinity. You can hook 2 of your monitors to the DVI ports on the 6970 and buy an actibe minidisplay port for @$30 for the third monitor. See my rigs in my sig
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 23, 2012 1:48:24 AM

guskline said:
I'm running Eyefinity with 3 24" monitors (2 Acer 24" LEDs and an older 24 inch HannsG) with 2 5850s in CF. It's fun. However I just bought the 27.5 " Hanns G HZ 281 and OMG I love it. I really think you will miss your 28" monitors if you sell them. Pick up another one and run Eyefinity. You can hook 2 of your monitors to the DVI ports on the 6970 and buy an actibe minidisplay port for @$30 for the third monitor. See my rigs in my sig

I kinda agree with guskline, going down in size from 28 to 23 is gonna be what you notice the most, not the drop in resolution. I would get another 28 to match the ones you have.
m
l
April 23, 2012 1:52:04 AM

I guess the only issue that I have with buying the third monitor is that it will cost me 260 dollars. I could buy 3 monitors sell the current ones I have and still have money left over to purchase an ssd drive. I am just mulling it over right now and would like to thank you all for the advice.

p.s. I guess my point is that I can have 2 28" monitors or three 23.6" monitors, that is what I am really deciding. In addition the Hanns-g Monitor are big but the quality is just so-so
m
l
April 23, 2012 1:56:32 AM

+1 to AdioKIP

I just would like to footstomp his recommendation that you get monitors with display ports. Also, I went from a single 1920x1200 to 5760x1080 eyefintity and was not bothered one bit. Though I am still using the old monitor as a +1 above my eyefinity.
He is also correct about crossfiring. My 7950 struggles sometimes during intense PVP in SWTOR (maxed settings), so I will be buying another 7950 very soon. I don't care what card you have 3-4 HD monitors is a lot of pixels to process.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 23, 2012 2:10:50 AM

silveralien81 said:
+1 to AdioKIP

I just would like to footstomp his recommendation that you get monitors with display ports. Also, I went from a single 1920x1200 to 5760x1080 eyefintity and was not bothered one bit. Though I am still using the old monitor as a +1 above my eyefinity.
He is also correct about crossfiring. My 7950 struggles sometimes during intense PVP in SWTOR (maxed settings), so I will be buying another 7950 very soon. I don't care what card you have 3-4 HD monitors is a lot of pixels to process.

Its been shown in Benchmarks, not even the New 680 from Nvidia or the 7970 can max out most games at EyeFinity Resolution. 5760x1080 is ALOT of pixels to push.

Why "footstomp" the display port idea. I mean if you're going to buy new monitors, why not get the ones with the latest connection that is supported without an additional adaptor. Displayport has more bandwith than HDMI.
m
l
April 23, 2012 2:41:22 AM

how important is the refresh rate? is 60hz ok?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 23, 2012 2:46:23 AM

60hz is standard for most desktop LCD's with better ones going up to 75hz. The high end are the 120hz which are usually the 3d screens.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 23, 2012 2:47:58 AM

tianlongprc said:
how important is the refresh rate? is 60hz ok?

Yep, 60Hz is fine. Actually, 60Hz is standard. You only need 120Hz or faster if you're going 3D
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2012 3:41:25 AM

120 mhz is so much nicer on the eyes for extended gaming it is literaly the difference between gaming until 2am or 5am....... :D 
m
l
April 23, 2012 11:56:16 AM

AdioKIP said:
Its been shown in Benchmarks, not even the New 680 from Nvidia or the 7970 can max out most games at EyeFinity Resolution. 5760x1080 is ALOT of pixels to push.

Why "footstomp" the display port idea. I mean if you're going to buy new monitors, why not get the ones with the latest connection that is supported without an additional adaptor. Displayport has more bandwith than HDMI.

"Footstomp" means "reinforce" or "repeat" to show importance. I was meaning to back you up :bounce: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 23, 2012 4:06:00 PM

silveralien81 said:
"Footstomp" means "reinforce" or "repeat" to show importance. I was meaning to back you up :bounce: 

LOL Sorry, I've NEVER heard the term used like that (we're probably in different countries). Thanks for the "Footstomp".
m
l
April 23, 2012 4:06:35 PM

just an update, I decided to go with 3x asus monitors, so I appreciate all of yours guys input and helping make a decision.
m
l
!