digital photo album

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 28, 2005 1:31:01 AM

I'm looking for a digital photo album. I downloaded and played with
Picasa for a while. It seems nice if you like the way it organizes your
files, but I want a photo album where I can put the images in folders
the way I want them, not chronological. Picasa allows me to create a
folder for an image, but makes it difficult, at best to put other
images in that same folder.
Does one of the other albums make it easy, say drag-n-drop or right
click, to move a file from one folder to another.
I'd also like to be able to cross-file my images. I'd like the image to
show up in multiple folders, like a pic of me sailing could be both in
my "Me" folder and my "Sailing" folder.
And I'd like to be able to search my image software for keywords I
associate with each image.
Do any of the free image management systems do all these things?
I'm also interested in other features others have found really useful.
Thanks in advance for your help. If not, is there a relatively cheap
one that does all this?

More about : digital photo album

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 7:29:37 AM

salgud wrote:
> I'm looking for a digital photo album. I downloaded and played with
> Picasa for a while. It seems nice if you like the way it organizes your
> files, but I want a photo album where I can put the images in folders
> the way I want them, not chronological. Picasa allows me to create a
> folder for an image, but makes it difficult, at best to put other
> images in that same folder.
> Does one of the other albums make it easy, say drag-n-drop or right
> click, to move a file from one folder to another.
> I'd also like to be able to cross-file my images. I'd like the image to
> show up in multiple folders, like a pic of me sailing could be both in
> my "Me" folder and my "Sailing" folder.
> And I'd like to be able to search my image software for keywords I
> associate with each image.
> Do any of the free image management systems do all these things?
> I'm also interested in other features others have found really useful.
> Thanks in advance for your help. If not, is there a relatively cheap
> one that does all this?

Look at Photoshop Elements 3.0 which has a nice organizer feature that
will allow just what you want. Of course this isn't free.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Hans S wrote:
> salgud wrote:
>
> > Does one of the other albums make it easy, say drag-n-drop or right
> > click, to move a file from one folder to another.
> > I'd also like to be able to cross-file my images. I'd like the image
> > to show up in multiple folders, like a pic of me sailing could be
> > both in my "Me" folder and my "Sailing" folder.
> > And I'd like to be able to search my image software for keywords I
> > associate with each image.
> > Do any of the free image management systems do all these things?
> > I'm also interested in other features others have found really useful.
> > Thanks in advance for your help. If not, is there a relatively cheap
> > one that does all this?
>
> Look at FotoAlbum from FotoTime. They made a freeware version, but it's
> not on their site anymore. I posted the URL's in yesterday's thread
> titled "Photo Album Software".

There is also a GPL photo album called album shaper at Source forge.
I downloaded this one, but haven't had much time to play with it to see
what it does.

http://albumshaper.sourceforge.net/

roland
July 28, 2005 10:25:21 AM

Hans S wrote:

> > > Look at FotoAlbum from FotoTime. They made a freeware version, but
> > > it's not on their site anymore. I posted the URL's in yesterday's
> > > thread titled "Photo Album Software".
> >
> > There is also a GPL photo album called album shaper at Source forge.
> > I downloaded this one, but haven't had much time to play with it to
> > see what it does.
> >
> > http://albumshaper.sourceforge.net/
> >

> The drag-and-drop feature wanted by the OP is still in the "future
> plans" section of Albumshaper. It's a promising project though and
> it's certainly worth looking at considering the rate of progress.

I downloaded Alubm Shaper the other night and installed it in windows
to make sure it worked, and only had about 10 minutes to play around
with it.
So I am sure all that is there.

I am going to have to take a good look at it this weekend if I get
enough time.

Too many project going on...

roland
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 3:50:32 PM

salgud wrote:

> Does one of the other albums make it easy, say drag-n-drop or right
> click, to move a file from one folder to another.
> I'd also like to be able to cross-file my images. I'd like the image
> to show up in multiple folders, like a pic of me sailing could be
> both in my "Me" folder and my "Sailing" folder.
> And I'd like to be able to search my image software for keywords I
> associate with each image.
> Do any of the free image management systems do all these things?
> I'm also interested in other features others have found really useful.
> Thanks in advance for your help. If not, is there a relatively cheap
> one that does all this?

Look at FotoAlbum from FotoTime. They made a freeware version, but it's
not on their site anymore. I posted the URL's in yesterday's thread
titled "Photo Album Software".
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 5:08:46 PM

piperut wrote:

> > > Does one of the other albums make it easy, say drag-n-drop or
> > > right click, to move a file from one folder to another.
> > > I'd also like to be able to cross-file my images. I'd like the
> > > image to show up in multiple folders, like a pic of me sailing
> > > could be both in my "Me" folder and my "Sailing" folder.
> > > And I'd like to be able to search my image software for keywords I
> > > associate with each image.
> > > Do any of the free image management systems do all these things?
> > > I'm also interested in other features others have found really
> > > useful. Thanks in advance for your help. If not, is there a
> > > relatively cheap one that does all this?
> >
> > Look at FotoAlbum from FotoTime. They made a freeware version, but
> > it's not on their site anymore. I posted the URL's in yesterday's
> > thread titled "Photo Album Software".
>
> There is also a GPL photo album called album shaper at Source forge.
> I downloaded this one, but haven't had much time to play with it to
> see what it does.
>
> http://albumshaper.sourceforge.net/

The drag-and-drop feature wanted by the OP is still in the "future
plans" section of Albumshaper. It's a promising project though and
it's certainly worth looking at considering the rate of progress.
July 30, 2005 6:35:54 PM

Many avid photographers use Photoshopt CS for editing and ACDSee for
organizing. I use ACDSee for organizing and it will do what you want.
It also has a very good photo editor. I also have Photoshop Elements 3
that I use for some of it's unique features that I don't have in ACDSee.

!