Weird Problem

I have a strange situation that I thought I would post on this forum since there seems to be some very knowledgeable techs in here. Although I am an IT administrator and have been building/configuring PCs now for a few years, this problem has me baffled. Here's the specs on my machine before I get into the problem:

AMD Slot 1 Athlon 850
512 MB Micron CAS 2 Memory
MSI 6167 Mobo
NVidia GeForce2 GTS Pro DDR Video Card
Sound Blaster X-Gamer 5.1 sound card
Creative CDRW
Creative 12x DVD
450W Sparkle Power Supply
Dual booting Windows XP and Windows 2000
The Windows 2000 partition needs to be redone as there are some problems with that, but this problem exists in XP.

I have 6 fans in the box so system/CPU temps are not a factor. CPU temp is between 32 and 36 degrees Celcius.

Now onto the problems, upon checking the system event log, I'm getting an error that reads:

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0x4d1), which lies in the 0x4d0 - 0x4d1 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

The Windows Knolowledge base has no information on this error. My bios settings concerning power settings are turned off, I am asumming that this is part of the problem. And I'm also getting spontaneous reboots while in the GUI. I have replaced the mobo battery to eliminate a possible problem there.

Thank you in advance for your help.
2 answers Last reply
More about weird problem
  1. Hehe.. funny you should mention it, I just solved a similar problem. It was an error in the BIOS... I flashed the BIOS and low and behold it was fixed! [see my thread titled "XP error report - post bsod" in this section.]

Here are the links to your BIOS update and the "How to Flash your BIOS" from MSI. (in case you've never flashed a BIOS, its imporant that you read the "how to", cuz you can lose the MB if not done correctly. As long as you follow directions tho, its not all that tedious.)

<A HREF="http://www.msi.com.tw/support/bios/bios.php?model=MS-6167" target="_new">MSI 6167 BIOS Update</A>

<A HREF="http://www.msi.com.tw/support/bios/note.htm" target="_new">How to Flash the BIOS</A>

Have fun!
    Ret

PS
    Lemme know if this works... just for my own knowledge. (I expect it will, but would like the validation) Thanks...
  2. Thanks for your response to my problem, I flashed my BIOS several months ago as soon as a newer version came out and I've been checking back ever since...but no newer version has been posted yet. I've even been searching for any type of "beta" upgrade that might had leaked out...but no avail there either. I ended up formatting the drive, ran the IBM utilities to low-level format and set the drive back up to factory specs. I went into the BIOS and turned eveything having to do power management off, then loading in Windows 2000 on a 10GB partition, leaving the rest of the drive for files and such. But here is a strange problem I have been having for a while now, after loading in the latest and greatest AMD Chipset Driver pack with include the miniport, AGP port and IDE port driver updates, I can not force my CDRW and DVD to use DMA, I get ATAPI errors in the event log, even though I'm not noticing any performance degredation in the read/writing speeds using PIO or DMA...just a thought.

Thanks again!
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP