Sign in with
Your question

2nd drive free space not changing

Last response: in Windows 7
January 27, 2012 3:22:59 AM

the free space available on my secondary drive won't update...reflecting 928GB free of 931GB even though I am storing data into it. the data used indicator is NIL. Can I fix this?
January 27, 2012 3:34:15 AM

1. Ensure the Recycle bin is empty. If that does not work Format the disk.
January 27, 2012 3:38:49 AM

navalweaponsofficer said:
1. Ensure the Recycle bin is empty. If that does not work Format the disk.

reformatted it and the result is 928 GB free of 931 GB . I installed a SSD as my boot drive and am using the original 1 TB drive as storage.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 27, 2012 4:46:42 AM

After copying 500MB of data onto the 1TB drive ( 928GB of 931GB Free ) is not going to change, you need to copy more than a GB of data to make those values change.
Copy 2 whole DVDs onto it, 4.5GB each and then check where ever you're checking the Occupied Space from.
January 27, 2012 5:00:13 AM

alyoshka said:
After copying 500MB of data onto the 1TB drive ( 928GB of 931GB Free ) is not going to change, you need to copy more than a GB of data to make those values change.
Copy 2 whole DVDs onto it, 4.5GB each and then check where ever you're checking the Occupied Space from.

I just installed total media theater 3 and it seams my SSD storage space is being used (went down 3.5GB) I followed some advice earlier and changed some Hkey settings to allow the secondary HD to be the storage drive. ...the SSD is my C: and the 1TB (original drive) s my E: I set AHCI according to directions and all is running well except it seems that data is going into the SSD (C:)  evven though I set the HKey to default to E: do I really need to reformat???
a b $ Windows 7
January 27, 2012 5:07:24 AM

When you install a program, it asks you the path where you would like to install the Program Files, why didn't you use it to browse to the 1TB Drive after creating a new folder?
Most people feel and change the default reg entry like you have done, and, it has been proved to be the most unreliable since the registry entry is only for OS files. All other software companies have there own way/method of installing stuff, and that is why they ask us everytime.
Since you have messed up the registry already, a reinstall of the OS would be a better option. Unless you remember what you changed and could go back and reverse it.
January 27, 2012 5:31:28 AM

alyoshka said:
When you install a program, it asks you the path where you would like to install the Program Files, why didn't you use it to browse to the 1TB Drive after creating a new folder?
Most people feel and change the default reg entry like you have done, and, it has been proved to be the most unreliable since the registry entry is only for OS files. All other software companies have there own way/method of installing stuff, and that is why they ask us everytime.
Since you have messed up the registry already, a reinstall of the OS would be a better option. Unless you remember what you changed and could go back and reverse it.

i could change the values back to C:

but if you think I messed it up I could reformat ...it would be a alot of time reinstalling every thing but i could do it....
When a program is loaded I specify the E: drive if it's not there... Most programs seem to default to the secondary.

I did what you asked and loaded an 8GB movie onto the E: HDD ....It registered!!! thanks! But shoud I reformat anyway?
a b $ Windows 7
January 27, 2012 5:48:58 AM

LOL.... forget the reformatting option, it's for kids, not even noobs yet.....

No need to format or reinstall anything. If most programs are going to the 'E' Drive by default, then your reg entry is working fine no need to revert to the 'C', just make sure you 'READ' before and while installing any programs in the future.... that'll solve the problems you might end up facing before hand.
January 27, 2012 6:12:19 AM

alyoshka said:
LOL.... forget the reformatting option, it's for kids, not even noobs yet.....

No need to format or reinstall anything. If most programs are going to the 'E' Drive by default, then your reg entry is working fine no need to revert to the 'C', just make sure you 'READ' before and while installing any programs in the future.... that'll solve the problems you might end up facing before hand.

Thanks for you assistance. I am relieved not to have to reformat. Mission accomplished. THANKS AGAIN!
a b $ Windows 7
January 27, 2012 6:12:46 AM

Welcome
!