Ivy bridge pentium vs ivy bridge i3

Are any of the ivy bridge pentium better than the ivy bridge i3-3220? If so wich ones are and as in wich one is better I mean as in wich one is better for 3d gaming such as bf3 mw2 etc
12 answers Last reply
More about bridge pentium bridge
  1. Well newegg has only 1 ivy bridge Pentium in stock: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116777


    otherwise here are the ivy bridge i3's: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671%20600095610%20600005584%20600315409&IsNodeId=1&name=Ivy%20Bridge

    The major difference seems to be the in processor graphics capability. If you have a graphics card that doesn't matter though.
    The i3's also support Hyper-threading. (to an extent) And have higher clock rates, so they should perform better. The i3's also can utilize the SSD smart cache.

    But otherwise, I don't really a huge difference. It seems to be just a lack of extra features and some extra speed, to make up the price difference between the Ivy-Bridge Pentiums and the i3s.


    edit:
    So it is this processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116774&name=Processors-Desktops vs http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116777. If you have a graphics card, it wouldn't make a huge difference. Jumping up to a i5 would make a much bigger impact.
  2. NoUserBar said:
    Well newegg has only 1 ivy bridge Pentium in stock: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116777


    otherwise here are the ivy bridge i3's: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671%20600095610%20600005584%20600315409&IsNodeId=1&name=Ivy%20Bridge

    The major difference seems to be the in processor graphics capability. If you have a graphics card that doesn't matter though.
    The i3's also support Hyper-threading. (to an extent) And have higher clock rates, so they should perform better. The i3's also can utilize the SSD smart cache.

    But otherwise, I don't really a huge difference. It seems to be just a lack of extra features and some extra speed, to make up the price difference between the Ivy-Bridge Pentiums and the i3s.


    edit:
    So it is this processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116774&name=Processors-Desktops vs http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116777. If you have a graphics card, it wouldn't make a huge difference. Jumping up to a i5 would make a much bigger impact.



    So you are saying I should go with a pentium than upgrade to an i5 later on
  3. No. That's why Penitum processors costs less than i3 processors.

    The slowest IB Core i3 is clocked at 3.3GHz.

    The slowest IB Pentium is clocked at 3.1GHz. It also does not have Hyperthreading, but that's not useful in games anyway. A difference of 200MHz is not that big of a deal though. You can compare the difference in the following link:

    http://ark.intel.com/compare/65693,65527
  4. Get a 3570k
  5. ^

    I believe the OP has a low budget.
  6. If you don't need Intel's HD graphics, that could be a plan of action for the future.


    There's always next gen to consider for future upgrades but:
    Later on Haswell next gen cpus will come out. If "later" in OP's comment means next year, then maybe you could go with that. Yet it seems Haswell is going to have a different socket, so it's not upgradeable from that Pentium (or i3). And that would be the future, one can't really plan on uncertainties.
    (You would have to buy a different motherboard if it you wanted to upgrade to a different socket.)


    Edit: jaguarskx's link gives a far better explanation of the differences of the two processors. Ark.intel doesn't say what those features do on that page though, might have to go on a search engine for information on the separate features.


    by the by, the Pentium doesn't have pcle 3.0 compatibility I think. Or so said some newegg reviews anyway.
  7. Ivy Bridge Core i3 also do not support PCI-e 3.0. However, at this point in time graphics cards are not fast enough to require a PCI-e 3.0 slot. Maybe in 2 years the very high end graphic cards will require a PCI-e 3.0 slot to prevent bottlenecking.
  8. jaguarskx said:
    Ivy Bridge Core i3 also do not support PCI-e 3.0. However, at this point in time graphics cards are not fast enough to require a PCI-e 3.0 slot. Maybe in 2 years the very high end graphic cards will require a PCI-e 3.0 slot to prevent bottlenecking.


    What do you mean the i3 does not support pci-e 3.0 i thought that the motherboard decided if it supported that
  9. neckneck said:
    What do you mean the i3 does not support pci-e 3.0 i thought that the motherboard decided if it supported that

    The PCIe x16 lanes are driven by the CPU so there is absolutely nothing the motherboard can do if the CPU itself does not provide PCIe 3.0 itself.

    And according to Intel's specs...
    http://ark.intel.com/products/65693/Intel-Core-i3-3220-Processor-3M-Cache-3_30-GHz

    The i3-3xxx (Ivy Bridge) do not (officially) support PCIe 3.0.
  10. neckneck said:
    So you are saying I should go with a pentium than upgrade to an i5 later on

    IMO, either get the i5 up-front to avoid spending $80-120 on a temporary CPU or forget about upgrading the CPU.

    if you want to go down the temporary CPU route until you can afford i5, pick a G4xx/G5xx CPU for under $50.

    If you are remotely serious about BF3, then i3-3220/3240 is as low as you can reasonably go... but if you shop around, you might be able to find the i5-3350P for a few extra bucks, which would be much better.
  11. mw2 will play on any crap cpu. mw3 worked like butter on my old athlon x2 4600 and radeon 5450 at max settings at 1440*900 at 35-40 fps avg. such crap the game is.
    as for BF3 it deserves much more respect.
    i believe any pentium dual core will be play bf3 fine even the sandy bridge pentiums.
    in case you havent done your homework any pentium can go head to head with phenom x4 955 while beating fx-4100, fx-6100 and fx-8120 as well from a purely gaming perspective.
    so by now it should be quite obvious that pentiums are no slouches in gaming.
    i have used one in my new build.
    sure an i5 will blow away any pentium or i3 but it also costs much more.
    so that money can be saved and put in a better graphics card like a 7870.
    as for which pentium specifically get either the G870 which is $80 or G2120 which is $100.
    no need for i3 or i5.
  12. mohit9206 said:
    sure an i5 will blow away any pentium or i3 but it also costs much more.

    There are i5 models aside from the i5-3570k.

    At my local shop, I can get i3-3225/3240 for $135 or the i5-3350P for $165. The gap between the fastest i3 and slowest i5 is only $30 but the i5 should still be around 60% faster in software that can use that many cores or heavy multitasking.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Pentium Battlefield Product