Sign in with
Your question

Help me build a $800 gaming rig that rocks!

Last response: in Systems
June 18, 2012 4:01:44 PM

I'm thinking about building a new rig, I'll be using it mostly for gaming, but will also be using it for things like email, web browsing, MS office and some programming(if I ever get back into doing that again).

I know a lot of you guys live for designing and building new rigs and I've tried a million times to sit down and take the time to actually go through Newegg and put together a buildable system that fits my current budget, but never seem to have the time. So IMHO there is NO better place to go for help in this area then right here.

Thanks in advance!!

My current system is an AMD based system with DDR2 Memory and it's about 6 years old and starting to really show it's age.

What I would like the new system to have is:

Windows 7 Pro

At least an Intel i3 but would prefer an i5 based system,

Full size wireless motherboard

great graphics

at least a 1TB HDD

8GB 1033 or better ram

full tower case

flat screen monitor

I would also like the system to be expandable for the next few years

I'd like the price to be held to no more than $800 including shipping

I plan on moving the current system to another spot so the rest of the family can use it until it decides to die a hopefully slow death, which is doubtful because it's already having problems with either a HDD, Graphics card or Ram

Thanks again for all the help!
June 18, 2012 4:32:02 PM

alazeer said:
I'm thinking about building a new rig, I'll be using it mostly for gaming, but will also be using it for things like email, web browsing, MS office and some programming(if I ever get back into doing that again).

I know a lot of you guys live for designing and building new rigs and I've tried a million times to sit down and take the time to actually go through Newegg and put together a buildable system that fits my current budget, but never seem to have the time. So IMHO there is NO better place to go for help in this area then right here.

Thanks in advance!!

My current system is an AMD based system with DDR2 Memory and it's about 6 years old and starting to really show it's age.

What I would like the new system to have is:

Windows 7 Pro

At least an Intel i3 but would prefer an i5 based system,

Full size wireless motherboard

great graphics

at least a 1TB HDD

8GB 1033 or better ram

full tower case

flat screen monitor

I would also like the system to be expandable for the next few years

I'd like the price to be held to no more than $800 including shipping

I plan on moving the current system to another spot so the rest of the family can use it until it decides to die a hopefully slow death, which is doubtful because it's already having problems with either a HDD, Graphics card or Ram

Thanks again for all the help!

Here is one that rocks ;) 

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadc70.asp?id=67...
m
l
June 18, 2012 4:36:22 PM

Or you could do this

i3-2100

8 gb of standard ram

dont know much about cheap boards or cases

corsair psu

1 tb wd hdd
m
l
Related resources
June 19, 2012 4:36:44 PM

I didn't really want to by one from some place that sells online, I did that years ago when I bought a falcon NW machine and was severely disgusted by the lack of support and the terrible performance of that machine. Most online places make you send back your system even when it would be easier and cheaper to fix something as easy as a ram problem.

I was hoping for someone to help me put together a system with links to all the parts as has happened in here many times in the past? Guess those people have either moved on or have other better things to do than waste their time helping someone like me. No problem, I totally understand. I'll get to it eventually, I just hope my current system holds out long enough for me to actually design - buy - build a new system I can afford?

Thanks for taking the time to answer me.

Alazeer
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 19, 2012 5:27:25 PM

I found the best way to get responses here is to do most of the work on the front end yourself. Go to pcpartpicker.com and put together a full build within your specs and post it here. From my experience, depending on your desired set up, a "gaming rig that rocks" would be a little difficult to keep within a 800 dollar budget, as you will likely have to skimp on the video card, but I am sure there are many out there that can prove me wrong. I am not saying you cannot build a gaming rig for that, but you certainly wont be maxing out settings on most of the newer games.

As far as a MOBO goes, I got the ASUS P8z77-v Pro which has an included add on wireless module that has an external antenna with nifty magnets on the bottom allowing me to attach it in a rather aesthetically pleasing way to my case, but that board might be outside of your price range, and I do not know much about other MOBO's. I believe I got mine on a deal in combination with a i5 3570k from microcenter for a little over 300 bucks. Assuming you were at about that, you are going to be at around 80$ for a decent hard drive (WD Caviar Black was highly recommended but more expensive than that, you can get a 1TB samsung or other caviar series for about 80$), RAM should be around 40-50$, case I would just toss a rough estimate of around 80$ (my 600T, an awesome case in my opinion, was around 140$ on sale). Powersupply would be around 80$ for a decent 650w which may be higher than you need, and depending on monitor size, we will say around 100$ (my ASUS 23 inch was like 140$). A cheap optical drive can be around 20 bucks if you just need CD/DVD read/write. If you want an aftermarket CPU cooler, about 35$ for a coolermaster HYPER 212 which I see recommended fairly often.

If my math is correct (with the CPU and MOBO combo), that puts you a little over 800 without the graphics card, which doesn't provide much wiggle room. Like I said, post a PCpartpicker.com configuration (it generally will only allow compatable parts), and I am sure you will get more suggestions, for example, you certainly don't need a 3rd gen processor, I was just giving it as the example of what I purchased.
m
l
June 19, 2012 8:51:29 PM

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. As I said we "USED" to be able to make a request like I did in here and within a couple of days there would be maybe 5 - 10 replies all with good builds that we could pick and choose our way through to design and build a system. As per most of the people here, we're so used to using our spare time helping our friends and family with computer problems that we don't have time for ourselves and our own computer problems.
m
l
!