Sign in with
Your question

What makes X CPU better than X

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
October 21, 2012 6:37:30 AM

Recently I felt like I had my money stolen from me.

I wanted to upgrade from my Phenom II X4 965 so I went to my local computer store and bought a new CPU ( I would order from Newegg but I do not currently have a credit card and I cannot obtain one due to my bank being dicks)

I bought a FX-4100, which to me seemed better than a 965 right ? Nope, it actually runs my games worse and I cannot even play Guild Wars 2 with it ( runs at 25 FPS in some areas ) Now I usually don't trust people's opinions on things because in most cases it always led me in the wrong path (a.k.a choosing to buy an AMD motherboard instead of intel.....).

Now if I put the AMD 965 and FX-4100 side by side I can see a few things being different.

*FX-4100 is 10$ more expensive than the 965
*FX-4100 is AM3+ and 965 is AM3
*FX-4100 is at 3.6ghz and 965 at 3.4ghz
*FX-4100 has 2x2mb L2 Cache and 965 has 4x512kb
*FX-4100 has 8mb L3 cache and 965 6m

Now why did I have way more FPS in Guild Wars 2 with my 965 ? In the exact same place I am right now I was running at 60-80fps and with the FX-4100 I am running between 25-40 FPS.

What makes it so bad. And for future references if I am looking at CPUs, what do I need to look for if I want the best framerate potential in games. Because to me, it just looks like the FX-4100 has more of everything....

More about : makes cpu

a b à CPUs
October 21, 2012 7:08:24 AM

Well, can you return it for purchase price?

Otherwise, fx has a different implementation than Phenom, Windows OSs' aren't optimized for it, and neither are many programs. (I think windows 8 is supposed to do better with it, but that is a rumor)

Otherwise, I've heard that your older Phenom is as good as or better than fx 4100 in those types of things. (gameing/single thread performance) At least in Windows, I've also heard bulldozer works better on Linux than Windows. :/ 

Buyers remorse sucks. btw FX-4100 is supposed to be the budget high performance cpu. The best one is higher priced and probably does better than phenom. At least oc'd it will.

Oh and fyi upgrading your graphics card might have had a much better improvement, than just your cpu. I don't know your system though, so maybe not.
m
l
October 21, 2012 7:13:26 AM

If you want to stick by AMD, maybe I'd return your 4100 and get a 4170, or wait until December and get the 4350. I've heard that the 8 core CPU's aren't much better than the 4 core ones.
m
l
Related resources
a c 186 à CPUs
October 21, 2012 7:13:55 AM

IPC....

Deneb clock per clock, and core per core, is faster than Zambezi.
m
l
October 21, 2012 7:40:08 AM

NoUserBar said:
Well, can you return it for purchase price?

Otherwise, fx has a different implementation than Phenom, Windows OSs' aren't optimized for it, and neither are many programs. (I think windows 8 is supposed to do better with it, but that is a rumor)

Otherwise, I've heard that your older Phenom is as good as or better than fx 4100 in those types of things. (gameing/single thread performance) At least in Windows, I've also heard bulldozer works better on Linux than Windows. :/ 

Buyers remorse sucks. btw FX-4100 is supposed to be the budget high performance cpu. The best one is higher priced and probably does better than phenom. At least oc'd it will.

Oh and fyi upgrading your graphics card might have had a much better improvement, than just your cpu. I don't know your system though, so maybe not.

My Graphics Card is a Nvidia 660TI, I only needed to upgrade my CPU.

And also I would like to return my CPU but that would leave me CPUless as my 965 is blown up, and also that store sucks and that's the best they had for AMD.... I just don't want to completly change my motherboard to get an Intel right now :/ 
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2012 7:57:51 AM

xO if you cpu is blown up there isn't much else to say.. Bad day :( 

Search around? Another deneb would be great.

I guess you will have to lower some settings to make guild wars playable until you get a better cpu, or OC that one till it works fine. (I think that can be done with that cpu)
~~
On the topic of online buying:

Well I can use my debit/credit card to pay on newegg, it takes my money from my bank account. But acts like a credit card. (I can use it as if it was a credit card)

Can you get something like that from you bank? ( for newegg) You could try paypal. I wouldn't give paypal my bank account numbers though.. Since I can always change the numbers on my card that is used for Paypal. (when I don't want some weird website knowing my numbers)
m
l
a c 191 à CPUs
October 21, 2012 8:07:47 AM

amuffin said:
IPC....

Deneb clock per clock, and core per core, is faster than Zambezi.

^ what this guy said

Bulldozer was not an improvement over Deneb, it was more of a lateral shift sideways. It also universally sucks for gaming.
m
l
a c 480 à CPUs
October 21, 2012 8:12:22 AM

The FX (Bulldozer) series is merely a side-grade to Phenom II. There are a few specific areas where FX CPUs perform better than Phenom II like video encoding, 3D rendering and file compression. However, in games the performance difference is very small.

If possible, return the FX CPU and wait for PileDriver benchmarks to determine how much of an improvement it is over Phenom II before deciding to buy it.

m
l
!