LostInHardware

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
I'm building a new rig and contemplating getting a 3D Setup, from what I could find there aren't that many 3D (RPG/MMORPG) games out that I'd actually want to play. I'm more interested in Tera & Diablo III as of now. The Nvidia graphics cards I'm buying are both 3D ready but my MOBO and Monitor are not. Would it be worth it to invest in a more expensive MOBO and even if it was just to watch movies until a game of my liking comes out on 3D?

I know its kind of asking for a biased answer but If I'm investing the money I want to know if the 3D graphics are going to blow my mind or it would be worth waiting for further releases?

Solution
@lostinhardware

You'd be a damn fool at this point in time to invest in 3d, it's such a new technology.
Wait a few years for compatibility at least between hardware manufacturers!

Invest your money in a decent 2d setup > over ANY 3d setup.

sk1939

Distinguished
It's not going to be all that mind blowing honestly, and you need to wear the rather annoying glasses to take advantage of the 3D besides. You shouldn't have to upgrade your motherboard, although you may need to upgrade your monitor.

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
@lostinhardware

You'd be a damn fool at this point in time to invest in 3d, it's such a new technology.
Wait a few years for compatibility at least between hardware manufacturers!

Invest your money in a decent 2d setup > over ANY 3d setup.

Solution
Of the above who say no, have you played 3D vision games before?

I can tell you that it is very good. It is far superior to any movies you've seen. If you seen a 3D movie, you cannot equate the two. I personally never play without 3D vision on if the game supports it. Unfortunately, not all games support it or have mild bugs with it. My guess is about 1/3 of my games work well with it out of the box.

For other games, I found a modder that has fixed a few as well as supplied us with a tool to fix our own games. http://helixmod.wikispot.org/gamelist

I can't say if everyone will enjoy it, but everyone I see around here that has used it (3D vision, not seen movies or used some handheld device) will say the same. It's awesome when it works. Unfortunately it won't always work, but you still gain a 120hz monitor when it doesn't, which is also quite nice.

sk1939

Distinguished
It don't think it's any different than 3D TV, since it uses the same underlying technology, and I'm underwhelmed by that as well.

I wear glasses most of the time, the exception is when I'm on the computer, so the last thing I personally want is to wear glasses to use the computer as well. I'm waiting for when they have glasses-less 3D. Additionally, I'd be hard pressed to find a better monitor than the Ultrasharp I use as my primary display.

Goofy, uncomfortable, and awkward $150 NVIDIA 3D Vision glasses aside I am not giving up a premium 60fps perfect gaming performance just so I can throw away a grand on dual Nvidia cards and another half a grand on a 120hz monitor thats not as good quality and performance as my current one all so I can have still less performance than I am getting now just for a gimmick that will die out before it catches any momentum and price comes down. Cost of my current setup PAID FOR with cash and priceless to me cost of an Nvidia 3D setup that would perform no even as good as mine $1750 no thanx I have a brain and it works.

MMO fan?

Seriously, there is so many things wrong with what you said, I don't know where to start.

How is 60hz better than 120hz? Why would you need a $1000 worth of video cards to use 3D? So what if glasses look goofy if you are playing in front of a PC in your own home. And by gimmick, you mean "the motto used by those who have not used it".

To go 3D costs maybe $900 for both the card(s) and monitor ($400 for 24" 3D monitor and at most $500 for video card(s)). Yes, it costs a little extra, but it is FAR better than non 3D on those games that work with it. Even if you use reduced settings. Of course you do have to use it to know that.

3D TV is FAR different than 3D vision. Not the technology, but the movies are filmed and presented in 3D is not actual 3D. In movies, they take a 2D image, and they cut out different objects and apply a depth to it. It looks like cardboard cut outs of different images.

In 3D vision games, you view the game world no differently than you view real world. This is because 3D games actually have all the information of every objects depth, and can accurately recreate the image for both eyes exactly the way they look in real life.

sk1939

Distinguished

Interesting because you are right about both points, and games are natively rendered in 3D generally, but presented in 2D format. Might be interesting to experience in person some time in the future. However, the cost of implementation is too high for me personally to justify, and there's the glasses issue to consider as well. It's not that they are goofy looking, is that they are on my face at all.