Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[homebuilt]Recommendation for my homebuilt

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 18, 2012 4:36:40 PM

Hello,

These are the parts that i have now.

intel i7 3930k.

corsair m4 ssd 256gb

crucial ballistix 4x2 ram.

thermaltake black widow tr2 850watts power supply.

xfx radeon double d fx 7950 3gb vram.

Can you guys give me recommendation of which motherboard to get and also which cooling system i should get for my cpu?

Im trying to build a very strong gaming computer and possible use multiple monitors, maybe 2 or 3 monitors.

This is my first build in over 7 years. So im out of the scene a bit.

thanks for any responses.
June 18, 2012 4:40:34 PM

Either liquid cool it or if you are not ocing use stock.

I would get a asus sabertooth it is fitting for your build.
m
0
l
June 18, 2012 4:49:04 PM

do you think that the corsair h80 liquid cooling is a good choice for that i7 chip? and also do u think that thermaltake 850 watts has sufficient power for this system?
m
0
l
Related resources
June 18, 2012 4:53:08 PM

yes and yes

the liquid cooling will keep it really cool and it is silent

the 850 watt is way over kill get 650 watt and you will be fine.
m
0
l
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
June 18, 2012 8:40:20 PM

2fast4thetown_down said:
yes and yes

the liquid cooling will keep it really cool and it is silent

the 850 watt is way over kill get 650 watt and you will be fine.


Yeah but an H80 isn't a good way to go. Closed blocks are somewhat safer than full loops but it's incredibly pointless to get an H80 when a strong air fan like a D14 will be far safer. If you're worried about noise - Noctua makes some of the quietest fans around.

And then get a GTX 670 instead of a Radeon 7950.
m
0
l
June 18, 2012 9:20:45 PM

I already purchaced the radeon 7950 xfx with the newegg deal which came out to be 329 with a 20 dollar rebate.

So you think that the d14 will keep my i7 chip cooler than the corsair h80? Will the d14 actually mount to the asus sabertooth mobo though? Still undecided as to what heatsink to get.
m
0
l
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
June 18, 2012 10:53:14 PM

got_tricked said:
I already purchaced the radeon 7950 xfx with the newegg deal which came out to be 329 with a 20 dollar rebate.

So you think that the d14 will keep my i7 chip cooler than the corsair h80? Will the d14 actually mount to the asus sabertooth mobo though? Still undecided as to what heatsink to get.


It will do a far better job of keeping your system cooler overall than an H80/H100 will. The fan of the H80 only replaces your exhaust fan and it doesn't do a lot to improve your system's air flow. You should read this about setting up a good air cooled system:

I followed that guide exactly when setting up my work PC and I have some of the lowest system temps on my network. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-hea...
m
0
l
June 18, 2012 11:47:29 PM

alright cool, that d14 does look like a good choice. i think i will go with that one, but will it fit on my asus sabertooth x79 board? because that board is the 2011 socket, but reading the information page of newegg i dont see that the d14 supports that socket.
m
0
l
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
June 19, 2012 6:59:49 PM

got_tricked said:
alright cool, that d14 does look like a good choice. i think i will go with that one, but will it fit on my asus sabertooth x79 board? because that board is the 2011 socket, but reading the information page of newegg i dont see that the d14 supports that socket.


There's a special edition of the D14 made just for X79 / LGA 2011 builds: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
June 20, 2012 12:44:00 AM

thanks for that recommendation. i think im gonna get the noctua d14 2011 socket. im hoping that its gonna fit my curcial ballistix ram and my xfx video card.
m
0
l
!