Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

nokia 6600 firmware upgrade

Last response: in Brands
Share
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 1:52:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

I'm new to this phone and its upgrading . ive had a look on the net and I
cant seem to find the upgraded firmware for the nokia 6600. I have been up
to London and they said it was free to upgrade but I would have to live with
out my phone for a week while they did it. this is unacceptable so any ideas
or pointers to a web site were I can get it.
Thanks
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 1:52:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"DAVID HOUGH" <dug.up@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:QYmCc.269$ee6.230@newsfe5-gui.server.ntli.net...
> I'm new to this phone and its upgrading . ive had a look on the net and I
> cant seem to find the upgraded firmware for the nokia 6600. I have been up
> to London and they said it was free to upgrade but I would have to live
with
> out my phone for a week while they did it. this is unacceptable so any
ideas
> or pointers to a web site were I can get it.
> Thanks

Even if you get hold of the firmware (and I can point you in the right
direction), what are you planning to use to get it on the phone?

--
>>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
>>> http://www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
>>> http://www.thephonelocker.co.uk <<<
June 24, 2004 2:11:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"DAVID HOUGH" <dug.up@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:QYmCc.269$ee6.230@newsfe5-gui.server.ntli.net...
> I'm new to this phone and its upgrading . ive had a look on the net and I
> cant seem to find the upgraded firmware for the nokia 6600. I have been up
> to London and they said it was free to upgrade but I would have to live
with
> out my phone for a week while they did it. this is unacceptable so any
ideas
> or pointers to a web site were I can get it.
> Thanks
>
>

David, the latest firmware for this phone is 4.9.1 and it is a vast
improvement. Off the top of my head, Real Player updated, SMS now has
number input by default in the TO field, there are other improvements but I
can't remember them. But the best thing is the phone is way faster. I
haven't seen the dreaded "opening files" dialogue once since the u/g and it
used to plague me for 7-10 seconds at a time. Worth the upgrade just for
the speed improvements.

While the phone is still under warranty (its not yet a year old so it will
be) you can get free firmware upgrades. Contact Nokia UK via their website
and ask for the nearest Nokia Service Point that can do the upgrades (not
all can). Obviously you'll need to tell them where you live.

I had to travel to another town 30 miles away to get mine done and it took
45 minutes so I went for a wander. You will not have to wait 1 week for
this providing the shop has the necessary hardware. If they don't have it,
they send the phone to somewhere that does, hence the wait. So phone around
for a shop that can do it while you wait.

HTH

-Carl
Related resources
June 24, 2004 10:01:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Quick Q.

Im on V3.49.1 (05/12/03)
On mine it's not slow, i do see the "opening folder" message but only
for a second (no more) and thats with a 128mmc in it.
I was going to get mine updated but i read there was some sort of limit
on file sending on the Bluetooth, is this correct?
Since i heard this i decided to keep it as it is as i use Bluetooth a
lot to send pic's, tone's and files to other mobiles and PC's.


THE BLACKPANTHER
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 10:41:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 18:01:50 +0100, Blackpanther
<noaddress@spamfree.co.uk> wrote:

>Quick Q.
>
>Im on V3.49.1 (05/12/03)

i have got Orange firmware V3.49.2 20-01-04 with a 128mb mmc card in
it and i don't have any problems. nice and speedy, and i've got a fair
bit installed!!

>On mine it's not slow, i do see the "opening folder" message but only
>for a second (no more) and thats with a 128mmc in it.

same here



>I was going to get mine updated but i read there was some sort of limit
>on file sending on the Bluetooth, is this correct?

i've heard this too, but not sure on how true it is!


>Since i heard this i decided to keep it as it is as i use Bluetooth a
>lot to send pic's, tone's and files to other mobiles and PC's.
>
>
> THE BLACKPANTHER
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 11:11:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

> >I was going to get mine updated but i read there was some sort of limit
> >on file sending on the Bluetooth, is this correct?
>
> i've heard this too, but not sure on how true it is!
>
>
> >Since i heard this i decided to keep it as it is as i use Bluetooth a
> >lot to send pic's, tone's and files to other mobiles and PC's.
> >
> >
> > THE BLACKPANTHER
>
>
>


I here by confirm this. In new version this feature goes off. Keep the old
version, if your phone works fine.
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 11:22:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

How do I check what firmware I got on my telephone?

SP
"Puuha-Pete" <puuhapete100@suomi24.fi> skrev i melding
news:2IFCc.320$Dx6.21@read3.inet.fi...
>
> > >I was going to get mine updated but i read there was some sort of limit
> > >on file sending on the Bluetooth, is this correct?
> >
> > i've heard this too, but not sure on how true it is!
> >
> >
> > >Since i heard this i decided to keep it as it is as i use Bluetooth a
> > >lot to send pic's, tone's and files to other mobiles and PC's.
> > >
> > >
> > > THE BLACKPANTHER
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> I here by confirm this. In new version this feature goes off. Keep the old
> version, if your phone works fine.
>
>
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 1:32:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 19:22:59 GMT, "Svend E Pettersen"
<svendep@c2i.net> wrote:

>How do I check what firmware I got on my telephone?


type *#0000# when your phone is in standby.

firmware info for most nokia phones here:

http://www.mwiacek.com/gsm/firmware/firmware.htm#5

scroll down and click the phone you want!!
June 26, 2004 12:23:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"DAVID HOUGH" <dug.up@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<QYmCc.269$ee6.230@newsfe5-gui.server.ntli.net>...
> I'm new to this phone and its upgrading . ive had a look on the net and I
> cant seem to find the upgraded firmware for the nokia 6600. I have been up
> to London and they said it was free to upgrade but I would have to live with
> out my phone for a week while they did it. this is unacceptable so any ideas
> or pointers to a web site were I can get it.
> Thanks

The firmware requires a very expensive DCT-4 flasher set to flash your
phone to the newest firmware. I presume you own one since you're
looking for the firmware. But if you don't, better have it flashed in
your nearest Nokia service point. And these firmwares are copyright of
Nokia, so possesing them is a breach of copyright. But I'm pretty sure
some sites host it, but I guess I am not allowed to disclose which.

Now only if Nokia's were as easy to upgrade as MS Smartphones =(
June 26, 2004 12:23:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"DAVID HOUGH" <dug.up@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<QYmCc.269$ee6.230@newsfe5-gui.server.ntli.net>...
> I'm new to this phone and its upgrading . ive had a look on the net and I
> cant seem to find the upgraded firmware for the nokia 6600. I have been up
> to London and they said it was free to upgrade but I would have to live with
> out my phone for a week while they did it. this is unacceptable so any ideas
> or pointers to a web site were I can get it.
> Thanks

The firmware requires a very expensive DCT-4 flasher set to flash your
phone to the newest firmware. I presume you own one since you're
looking for the firmware. But if you don't, better have it flashed in
your nearest Nokia service point. And these firmwares are copyright of
Nokia, so possesing them is a breach of copyright. But I'm pretty sure
some sites host it, but I guess I am not allowed to disclose which.

Now only if Nokia's were as easy to upgrade as MS Smartphones =(
June 26, 2004 1:43:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

> >Quick Q.
> >
> >Im on V3.49.1 (05/12/03)
>
> i have got Orange firmware V3.49.2 20-01-04 with a 128mb mmc card in
> it and i don't have any problems. nice and speedy, and i've got a fair
> bit installed!!
>
> >On mine it's not slow, i do see the "opening folder" message but only
> >for a second (no more) and thats with a 128mmc in it.
>
> same here
>

Update!

There area few people at work who also have NK 6600's so i did a speed test with 3 of them.
All of them are on the NEW V4.09.1 firmware(as they all got there phones in the last few weeks)(after seeing mine!)
so i held my 6600 in one hand and one of there 6600 in the other and went through the menu's at the same time,
they were all the same speed! every menu pic and folder opened just like it was a mirror.
So all i can think of is that the slow 6600's were the one's on V3.42.1 16-10-03
and the speed was changed when i got mine on Orange V3.49.1 05-12-03.

I will be keeping mine on V3.49.1 05-12-03 as there is no advantage for me on the upgrade.



THE BLACKPANTHER
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 7:58:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

I got my phones firmware upgraded yesterday by a company in sandhurst
called gracom tel.01252860011
they did it for free under the warranty, I can say the phone is any
different though it performs the same as it did before.




"DAVID HOUGH" <dug.up@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:QYmCc.269$ee6.230@newsfe5-gui.server.ntli.net...
> I'm new to this phone and its upgrading . ive had a look on the net and I
> cant seem to find the upgraded firmware for the nokia 6600. I have been up
> to London and they said it was free to upgrade but I would have to live
with
> out my phone for a week while they did it. this is unacceptable so any
ideas
> or pointers to a web site were I can get it.
> Thanks
>
>
!