Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CPU temperature too high with aftermarket cooling?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 21, 2012 3:49:39 PM

Hey
I just recieved a BsoD today and it got me re-checking my CPU temperature (with Everest) as it had been the reason for earlier BsoDs before i bought After market cooling.
Back when i bought my after market A70 Corsair(july this year) it immediatly solved the problem of high CPU temps and brought them down to 18-22 celcius when not working and 25-30 celcius under pressure. I regularly checked my temperatures the next month when playing CPU heavy games and it all seemed fine so i stopped worrying.
Now, however, i have a CPU temp of 80 Celcius when doing nothing while my core temps are 18 celcius .. Which seems weird. According to Everest my CPU fan is running at some 1200 rpm.

In short: What is the problem here? my cooling is relatively new - could it be my CPU? badly applied thermal paste? or a relatively new after market cooling that happens to die? Could it be a mobo thing?
It should be noted that all my other components are running at decent temperature (ranging from 18-25 celcius)

specs:
mobo: GA-870A-UD3 (AM3 socket)
CPU: Phenom II X6 1090T
Ram: 4 gigs of Kingston 1333 (yes i know)
GFX: GeForce 670 (I should buy a mobo/cpu + ram that doesnt bottleneck the system - but thats another story)
Vista 64 bit
October 21, 2012 4:07:00 PM

It should also be noted that according to Core Temp my 'CPU #0' is =16 Celcius (ranging from 16-20 Celcius) It seems to contradict my Everest readings ..Any clue as to what is going on?
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2012 4:27:33 PM

What is the bsod number?

So your core temps are low but the cpu temp is high?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2012 4:38:08 PM

gulex said:
Hey
I just recieved a BsoD today and it got me re-checking my CPU temperature (with Everest) as it had been the reason for earlier BsoDs before i bought After market cooling.
Back when i bought my after market A70 Corsair(july this year) it immediatly solved the problem of high CPU temps and brought them down to 18-22 celcius when not working and 25-30 celcius under pressure. I regularly checked my temperatures the next month when playing CPU heavy games and it all seemed fine so i stopped worrying.
Now, however, i have a CPU temp of 80 Celcius when doing nothing while my core temps are 18 celcius .. Which seems weird. According to Everest my CPU fan is running at some 1200 rpm.

In short: What is the problem here? my cooling is relatively new - could it be my CPU? badly applied thermal paste? or a relatively new after market cooling that happens to die? Could it be a mobo thing?
It should be noted that all my other components are running at decent temperature (ranging from 18-25 celcius)

specs:
mobo: GA-870A-UD3 (AM3 socket)
CPU: Phenom II X6 1090T
Ram: 4 gigs of Kingston 1333 (yes i know)
GFX: GeForce 670 (I should buy a mobo/cpu + ram that doesnt bottleneck the system - but thats another story)
Vista 64 bit

At 80c your 1090 would die in short order , max temps are 60c according to AMD , so something is not right with the reading .If the paste was the problem it would have shown from the start no ? The original temps when ypu installed new cooler 18-22 idle and 25-30 when stressed sound low , mine idle around 26-30 , stressed 45- 50c
What readings do you get in the bios , if they are 80c there you got a problem .
What is max fan speed on that cooler 1200 does not sound very high , my stock cooler runs at 4600 when it gets hot 50c+
I use Hardware monitor and bios of MB for my readings .
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2012 4:39:57 PM

cbrunnem said:
What is the bsod number?

So your core temps are low but the cpu temp is high?



If it were 4 core I'd say it was adding up core temps to get cpu temp ? Strange
October 21, 2012 4:40:05 PM

I had reboot on BsoD enabled when it happened to i didnt get to see the number. I have disabled it now so i can see it if/when it happens again.
Also i just checked my Cpu Temperature in Bios (I presume this is more reliable) it says 29 Celcius for CPU and 33C for the system overall.
Is it safe to assume that my Everest is acting weird and that my BsoD must be something else entirely?
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2012 4:49:07 PM

gulex said:
I had reboot on BsoD enabled when it happened to i didnt get to see the number. I have disabled it now so i can see it if/when it happens again.
Also i just checked my Cpu Temperature in Bios (I presume this is more reliable) it says 29 Celcius for CPU and 33C for the system overall.
Is it safe to assume that my Everest is acting weird and that my BsoD must be something else entirely?


Strange , temps sound good , very good . Try some other software to get a reading while it's stressed . 80c n a 1090 is bad , if it's a good reading . Could the fan be cutting out at times ? If it's just a everest thing no worry , but you want to be sure , I toasted a PII when a fan on the cooler went bad , and stupid me did not set shut down temps in the bios , Gigabyte 890 board .
October 21, 2012 4:59:14 PM

Thanks for the reply Jerry, i'll try out some more programs to see what happens. I also tried Core Temp which gives me low/very acceptable temp readings as well. So so far it would seem like Everest is just acting up. But as you say: better safe than sorry.

Also i agree that my 18-25C readings seem low. Judging by the Bios Temp i just saw (29 and 33 comparatively under no stress) it would seem like the programs i use both under- and severely overestimate my actual core temp.
!