tombell 75

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Hello,
I am currently searching ebay for a used computer for my son, and I have found one with 2 xeon processors, and another with 1 core 2 duo. Which is better, I guess the xeon is older technology, but aparently because it has HT then it is like having 4 cores

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
SB Pentium's performance is about the same as a Core 2 Duo. It wouldn't be much different. The added benefit of a SB CPU would be the awesome battery life in comparison to the C2D, if it were a laptop.

At this point neither both are really old. I don't know what he is doing but he doesn't need two Xeon processors that sounds lke a server computer. And as mentioned the Core 2 duo is really old and pretty much out dated now. At the very least I would go with a Sandy Bridge Pentium G or I3.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
A Sandy bridge pentium would perform considerably better than a Core 2 Duo due to the improved architecture.

If an Sandy i3 performs the same/better than the top C2D then a SB Pentium wouldn't be far behind.

tombell 75

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
thanks for all the help people. I3 was out of the question cost wise. It isn't a birthday or christmas present or anything. He generally plays games on his ps3, and uses the main family computer ( quad core, ddr3 ram etc ) for schoolwork ( word ) and some basic games ( currently plays stronghold legends ) . Was looking for something very basic and cheap. Both the core 2 duo and twin xeon computers were less than £ 55 . If he wants a performance rig at a later date, he can buy it himself, or buy the parts so I can build it for him. Managed to find an AMD machine on a bid for £ 28... I can add a 1 gb graphics card for about £20, and that will do him fine for now.

Thanks again for trying to help answer my question.

allanitomwesh

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

£30 PC. sounds, well, cheap. Hope it isn't too much of a snail,and that he likes it.