Random BSOD on Window 7 (64 bit) after installing Radeon HD 6850

mjoconnor

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
I recently purchased a XFX Radeon HD 6850 video card to upgrade from my old Radeon HD 2600. I uninstalled the old drivers, ran Driver Sweeper, then installed the new video card and the newest ATI drivers from their site (12.3 I think). I've got the computer to fully boot a few times, but more often then not I am getting a BSOD loop right after the Windows 7 logo shows.

Not sure what else to do, most thread I have found with this problem say to do what I did in regards to uninstalling old drivers, using Driver Sweeper, install new drivers. I'll post my system details below

MOBO: MSI P43 Neo3

CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3Ghz

RAM: Corsair 2x2GB 6400 800Mhz

PSU: Antec True Power Trio 650w

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Did you update your BIOS ?

Did you connect PCIe 6-pin external power cable to Video card ?

You should uncheck Automatically Restart option in Advanced Recovery Options section and get a real BSOD code and put it here so that people on this forum may help better.

If HD2600 is on-board video chip, disable it in BIOS or in Windows.

mjoconnor

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012

I have never updated my BIOS, that was one thought I had. I've always been nervous to do that from fear of breaking something. MSI has the Live Update 5, should I use that or manually update BIOS?

There are 2 PCIe 6-pin slots on the video card, so I connected power to both of them.

Automatically Restart option is in the BIOS? I'll try that when i get home. Was frustrated that I couldn't read any error codes with how fast it restarts.

HD 2600 is an actual card. I put it back in and the system runs fine again.

mjoconnor

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Still haven't updated my BIOS. Can anyone tell me, can I just use the latest version of the BIOS from the MSI website for my motherboard? Do I need to use an older version of the BIOS? Worried I am going to mess things up.