Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Intel i5 2500k strange temperatures being reported

Last response: in CPUs
October 21, 2012 6:52:12 PM

Hello everyone. I would like to ask a question. I have an Intel i5 2500K processor with a decent heat sync fan and such. But I installed a few apps to read the temperature of my cpu, and I saw this:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7807278/CPUCapture.JPG
There is a picture of SpeedFan reporting a whopping 84 degrees C. While the other two show (at idle) a max of 41 and min. of 27.

I'm not sure what to believe. Are these temperatures OK? Why does SpeedFan show that the CPU is at 84 degrees?

What does Tj.Max 98 degrees stand for?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this!

Kind regards,

N00b
October 21, 2012 7:58:37 PM

temp is too high
max tj temp is 100c when cpu start throttling
max safe temp is 72 c
so u have to clean your case from dust
and how many fan you have in your case
m
l
Related resources
October 21, 2012 9:16:23 PM

I have 1 on the CPU of course, which isn't hte standard. I got a fairly beefy one. And thne the case has 4 fans that are controlled with 2 knobs on the front of the case. For day to day I keep them at the lowest (even though the computer can override and turn them up) for noise problems, but if I game or edit videos, I blast them all the way up to full power. There is one fan in the back, one in the front, one at the top and one on the side door.
m
l

Best solution

a c 283 à CPUs
October 21, 2012 11:26:02 PM

The cores and package temps look absolutely perfect. No worries there.

Just stop using SpeedFan. For some reason, it has a lot of trouble with newer Intel systems and the CPU sensor is always the one that it gets wrong and scares people to death (needlessly, I might add).

You'll notice that CPUTIN in HWMonitor is the the same sensor that SpeedFan is reading, but it's most likely the VRM sensor (or even a nonexistent one).

The correct sensors for the CPU are the cores and "Package" (in HWMonitor).
October 22, 2012 7:27:29 AM

Best answer selected by zkyevolved.
m
l
!