Changing or assigning icons

I have an interesting problem...

The icon that is now assigned to my .jpg / .jpeg files is a picture of a
piece of paper with the word "Doc" at the top.

How can I change this to reflect the program (MS Photo Editor) that opens
these file types???

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,
9 answers Last reply
More about changing assigning icons

    Hi Richard,

    You should be able to change the default icon for JPG files via Folder
    Options, File Types dialog, Advanced button. Or, using a direct registry
    edit:

    [HKEY CLASSES ROOT\jpegfile\DefaultIcon]

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have an interesting problem...
    >
    > The icon that is now assigned to my .jpg / .jpeg files is a picture of a
    > piece of paper with the word "Doc" at the top.
    >
    > How can I change this to reflect the program (MS Photo Editor) that opens
    > these file types???
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help!
    >
    > Regards,

    Thanks Ramesh...

    I've have of course, tried the first option... I'm not sure on the second, I
    do that thru regedit?

    Please confirm and where exactly do I find regedit in XP Pro?

    Thanks again!

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Hi Richard,
    >
    > You should be able to change the default icon for JPG files via Folder
    > Options, File Types dialog, Advanced button. Or, using a direct registry
    > edit:
    >
    > [HKEY CLASSES ROOT\jpegfile\DefaultIcon]
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have an interesting problem...
    > >
    > > The icon that is now assigned to my .jpg / .jpeg files is a picture of a
    > > piece of paper with the word "Doc" at the top.
    > >
    > > How can I change this to reflect the program (MS Photo Editor) that opens
    > > these file types???
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for any help!
    > >
    > > Regards,

    Ramesh...

    I found regedit and will attempt the fix.

    Hey hey...

    IT WORKED!!

    The regedit fix worked... it did require a reboot to swap out the icons but
    no problem after that!

    Thanks very much!

    hmmm...

    I don't know what to enter or where -

    thanks in advance for a bit more assistance!

    Richard,

    Not sure why the first option did not work. BTW, to open the registry
    editor, click Start/Run and type REGEDIT.

    Navigate to this key:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\DefaultIcon

    Backup the key by exporting to a REG file (File - Export option)

    In the right-pane, double-click (default) and set the icon value.

    Example: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE,8

    --

    > Thanks Ramesh...
    >
    > I've have of course, tried the first option... I'm not sure on the second,
    > do that thru regedit?
    >
    > Please confirm and where exactly do I find regedit in XP Pro?
    >
    > Thanks again!
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Richard,
    >>
    >> You should be able to change the default icon for JPG files via Folder
    >> Options, File Types dialog, Advanced button. Or, using a direct registry
    >> edit:
    >>
    >> [HKEY CLASSES ROOT\jpegfile\DefaultIcon]
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have an interesting problem...
    >> >
    >> > The icon that is now assigned to my .jpg / .jpeg files is a picture of
    >> > piece of paper with the word "Doc" at the top.
    >> >
    >> > How can I change this to reflect the program (MS Photo Editor) that
    >> > opens
    >> > these file types???
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance for any help!
    >> >
    >> > Regards,

    Ok...

    I found regedit via search - but I will try again using the "run" area.

    I, too, am perplexed as to why the first option didn't work - it SHOULD!

    Anyway... attempting to change now...

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Richard,
    >
    > Not sure why the first option did not work. BTW, to open the registry
    > editor, click Start/Run and type REGEDIT.
    >
    > Navigate to this key:
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\DefaultIcon
    >
    > Backup the key by exporting to a REG file (File - Export option)
    >
    > In the right-pane, double-click (default) and set the icon value.
    >
    > Example: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE,8
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks Ramesh...
    > >
    > > I've have of course, tried the first option... I'm not sure on the second,
    > > do that thru regedit?
    > >
    > > Please confirm and where exactly do I find regedit in XP Pro?
    > >
    > > Thanks again!
    > >

    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi Richard,
    > >>
    > >> You should be able to change the default icon for JPG files via Folder
    > >> Options, File Types dialog, Advanced button. Or, using a direct registry
    > >> edit:
    > >>
    > >> [HKEY CLASSES ROOT\jpegfile\DefaultIcon]
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP Shell/User
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Hey hey...

    IT WORKED!

    The Regedit fix required a reboot to swap out all the icons but it worked
    just fine!

    Thanks very much!

    Thanks for the feedback Richard.

    --

    > Hey hey...
    >
    > IT WORKED!!
    >
    > The regedit fix worked... it did require a reboot to swap out the icons
    > but
    > no problem after that!
    >
    > Thanks very much!

Configuration Customization Icons Windows XP