Changing or assigning icons

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have an interesting problem...

The icon that is now assigned to my .jpg / .jpeg files is a picture of a
piece of paper with the word "Doc" at the top.

How can I change this to reflect the program (MS Photo Editor) that opens
these file types???

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,

Hi Richard,

You should be able to change the default icon for JPG files via Folder
Options, File Types dialog, Advanced button. Or, using a direct registry
edit:

[HKEY CLASSES ROOT\jpegfile\DefaultIcon]

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an interesting problem...
>
> The icon that is now assigned to my .jpg / .jpeg files is a picture of a
> piece of paper with the word "Doc" at the top.
>
> How can I change this to reflect the program (MS Photo Editor) that opens
> these file types???
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!
>
> Regards,

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks Ramesh...

I've have of course, tried the first option... I'm not sure on the second, I
do that thru regedit?

Please confirm and where exactly do I find regedit in XP Pro?

Thanks again!

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> You should be able to change the default icon for JPG files via Folder
> Options, File Types dialog, Advanced button. Or, using a direct registry
> edit:
>
> [HKEY CLASSES ROOT\jpegfile\DefaultIcon]
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an interesting problem...
> >
> > The icon that is now assigned to my .jpg / .jpeg files is a picture of a
> > piece of paper with the word "Doc" at the top.
> >
> > How can I change this to reflect the program (MS Photo Editor) that opens
> > these file types???
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help!
> >
> > Regards,

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hey hey...

IT WORKED!!

The regedit fix worked... it did require a reboot to swap out the icons but
no problem after that!

Thanks very much!

Richard,

Not sure why the first option did not work. BTW, to open the registry
editor, click Start/Run and type REGEDIT.

Navigate to this key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\DefaultIcon

Backup the key by exporting to a REG file (File - Export option)

In the right-pane, double-click (default) and set the icon value.

Example: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE,8

--

> Thanks Ramesh...
>
> I've have of course, tried the first option... I'm not sure on the second,
> do that thru regedit?
>
> Please confirm and where exactly do I find regedit in XP Pro?
>
> Thanks again!
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> You should be able to change the default icon for JPG files via Folder
>> Options, File Types dialog, Advanced button. Or, using a direct registry
>> edit:
>>
>> [HKEY CLASSES ROOT\jpegfile\DefaultIcon]
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have an interesting problem...
>> >
>> > The icon that is now assigned to my .jpg / .jpeg files is a picture of
>> > piece of paper with the word "Doc" at the top.
>> >
>> > How can I change this to reflect the program (MS Photo Editor) that
>> > opens
>> > these file types???
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance for any help!
>> >
>> > Regards,

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ok...

I found regedit via search - but I will try again using the "run" area.

I, too, am perplexed as to why the first option didn't work - it SHOULD!

Anyway... attempting to change now...

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Richard,
>
> Not sure why the first option did not work. BTW, to open the registry
> editor, click Start/Run and type REGEDIT.
>
> Navigate to this key:
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\DefaultIcon
>
> Backup the key by exporting to a REG file (File - Export option)
>
> In the right-pane, double-click (default) and set the icon value.
>
> Example: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE,8
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Ramesh...
> >
> > I've have of course, tried the first option... I'm not sure on the second,
> > do that thru regedit?
> >
> > Please confirm and where exactly do I find regedit in XP Pro?
> >
> > Thanks again!
> >

> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Richard,
> >>
> >> You should be able to change the default icon for JPG files via Folder
> >> Options, File Types dialog, Advanced button. Or, using a direct registry
> >> edit:
> >>
> >> [HKEY CLASSES ROOT\jpegfile\DefaultIcon]
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hey hey...

IT WORKED!

The Regedit fix required a reboot to swap out all the icons but it worked
just fine!

Thanks very much!

Thanks for the feedback Richard.