Sign in with
Your question
Solved

High temperature with i5 760

Last response: in CPUs
October 21, 2012 8:25:58 PM

I have been using i5 760 for almost 1.5 years. Today I turned on HWMonitor and played BF3 for good 3 hours. After closing BF3 and looking at HWMonitor, I was surprised to see that max temp went up to 88-91C. I've not OCed the processor and am using the stock CPU cooler. I also stress tested with prime95 and got same temp readings. CPU idles at 40-45C.

I'm worried that whether it is too high and if I need to get an after-market cooler?

HWMonitor Screenshot- http://i.imgur.com/dAaBC.png

More about : high temperature 760

a b à CPUs
October 21, 2012 9:45:03 PM

That's pretty hot. A new, more effective cooler will make that cpu last longer with much lower temps.
m
l

Best solution

a c 93 à CPUs
October 22, 2012 7:43:17 AM

The Lynnfields do run a bit hot, but you shouldn't be seeing temps like that, even with the stock cooler. Temps above 72 celsius aren't safe for long term usage. You may need to reapply the thermal paste. It is also possible that the plastic frame of the stock cooler has warped, and the cooler is no longer making proper contact with the CPU. That has been known to happen over time with Intel's stock cooler.

It might be a good time to pick up an aftermarket cooler. I personally found that the stock cooler wasn't that great on my i5 760, only barely keeping my load temps below 72 celsius, and only when the ambient temperature was around 20 celsius, not great for summer operation.
Related resources
October 22, 2012 11:12:48 AM

Supernova1138 said:
The Lynnfields do run a bit hot, but you shouldn't be seeing temps like that, even with the stock cooler. Temps above 72 celsius aren't safe for long term usage. You may need to reapply the thermal paste. It is also possible that the plastic frame of the stock cooler has warped, and the cooler is no longer making proper contact with the CPU. That has been known to happen over time with Intel's stock cooler.

It might be a good time to pick up an aftermarket cooler. I personally found that the stock cooler wasn't that great on my i5 760, only barely keeping my load temps below 72 celsius, and only when the ambient temperature was around 20 celsius, not great for summer operation.

Thanks, then I'll get a new cooler asap. I'm looking at CM Hyper 212 EVO.
m
l
October 22, 2012 11:13:09 AM

Best answer selected by mpheus.
m
l
!