trainingsys

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
External monitors (tried 2 now) plugged into my laptop keep displaying a DVI No signal message (as well as video cable unplugged) and the color is all blue/greena and yellow as though it's missing red. Occasionally the right color comes through. The color is correct on the laptop screen. Ideas?

trainingsys

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

I ahve activated the external monitor option

I don't know how to use a different cable since the monitor works fine on another labtop (same make and model just about 6 mos difference in when we bought it)

The VGA shows working and DVI shows NO signal - does that mean anything?

Does the monitor have an option to select the source automaticly or do you have to set the source manualy in the on screen menu? If the monitor has differnet ports in the back and you can use VGA , DVI , HDMI and component , then when you connect a cable the screen should show which is connected , so if your connecting a VGA cable and the screen says DVI no signal then the input source has to be changed in the monitors on screen menu.

trainingsys

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
I changed it to VGA (I'm assuming the cable I am using is VGA - the monitor came with 2 cables but only one matches a port on my laptop) but there is no change to the display.

Belief here is that something's wrong with the graphics card (even though I have no problems with laptop screen) and we're not sure we can find it in the laptop - I know where to look on a desktop)

trainingsys

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
The monitor works on another laptop so we know it's ok. And I have tried all combos of display - just CRT, both CRT and laptop, and extended of both. All have the same color issue.

I so appreciate your roubleshooting so keep those ideas coming

trainingsys

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
The pins are all fine. The cable works on another laptop and this is the second monitor (with a different cable) that has had the color issue on my laptop. So it seems it's not the cable

The VGA port from the outside looks fine too

If your laptop came with a seperate discrete video card then there could be a small pci-e slot where it's pluged into and there would be a cover plate on the bottom of the laptop that you can remove by taking out just the two screws that hold it on.