Jan 1, 2010
I'm having problems with my current build

Core i7 3770
8gb g.skill ripjaws x 1600 (2x4)
Ati hd 6770
Asus p8z77 v lk
Thermaltake truepower 600w
Windows 7 ultimate x64

Current i've been experiencing random reboots. After It reboots, the bios wont post and the beep error is 1 short which means memory error. I already tried the 4 memory slots but still same problem persists. Im suspecting the memory to be the reason for that so i ran memtest86+ but i didnt found any error regarding on my memory. Also the bios is updated to the latest version. I still didnt update my windows 7 ultimate. Is there any windows update that can fix this? The only way to stop the loop after a random shutdown is to unplug the rams then put it back again. This is the first time that i have problem on my new build. My last builds didnt have problems. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Solution
move the stick that works to each slot to see that all your slots are fine if they are then i points to the ram not working with the mb. some mb are more picky on the ram then other are.

zerovit

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010

I also corrected the timing but still no luck.

zerovit

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010

I updated the bios from factory default to the latest one which is 0402. What do you meanby loading the bios in order? Il clear the cmos and see if it works

zerovit

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010

Ok, so i would flash my 404 with 308 first then continue the steps you provided?

zerovit

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
I think the culprit is my PSU because when it shutdown there is no BSOD screen. I found out that my psu is defective a while ago because it wont power on the mobo lol. So i have to rma it and see if this solves the problem. Also, cant i just update to the latest bios. I mean from default bios version to version 4. Assuming that default is 1, can i just update from 1-4 or i need to do 1-2-3-4 update

i got this from asus tech or rog. when you flash the bios your doing a permanent change to the chip code. the asus tech said each firmware number changes a bit of the code. the newer number dont always have the same bug fixes to save room in the flash file. the tech said it better to start with your bios in default factory mode and start with the first bios update and then then next. making sure you reset back to factory default. the issue is a lot of poeple have there mb over cocled and sometime the flash fails...causing a bricked mb.

zerovit

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010

sorry for bumping this thread again but, is 11-11-11-28 a default timing for RAM because when i set my RAM to XMP system gets unstable and randomly reboots without any system load. my G SKILL RAM isnt written in the memory support list of my motherboard.

My Ram's factory timing is 9-9-9-24 but when i loaded defaults it went 11-11-11-28 1.5v. BTW my memory is GSKILL RIPJAWS X F3-12800CL9-4GBXL. it isnt written on support list of ASUS P8Z77-V LK. my system runs stable on 11-11-11-28.

i have the snippers ram and i have it set at loser timing then factory. i have mine set like your.. it a quirk of the ram or the mb.
as long as the mb and ram are not locking up it fine. (run memtest and prime95 to stress the system). if it fine and no bsod or reboots your ok.

zerovit

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010

oh ok thanks,but it is disappointing that im not getting the speed for what i paid for :(

timing and bus speed are two different speeds. 9-9-9- or 11-11-11 is not much in the world of ram. it the bus speed the ram is running at. 1333 is 667 and 1600 is 800 bus speed you can check with cpu-z the bus speed the ram is running at.
using the stock bios i set the speed as 1600 and the mb set the timing right on my mb and ram.

zerovit

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
Oh ok. Im experiencing random reboots again. I think ill have to RMA this ram. 9-9-9-24 1600 reboots 11-11-11-30 still reboots. Later ill try to check if it will be stable on 1333. Even if i hit f5, still unstable.