• Power Supplies
  • Dell Studio Xps
  • Studio
  • Dell
  • Components
Last response: in Components
October 21, 2012 9:59:41 PM

Hello,
I need to replace faulty PSU (DPS 350w fb-1a)and plan to upgrade . Called Dell 3 times to confirme compatibility and they indicated that this is proprietary psu and only available from Dell and no upgrade is available On the call sales rep said that all Dell PCs are equipped with non-standard MBs and PSUs. This sounded questionable to me based on what I have read on various forums. This is 2009 machine. The main power connector looks like standard ATX but based on what Dell tells me it may not be. Any help?

More about : dell xps studio 435mt psu replacement upgrade

a b ) Power supply
October 21, 2012 10:25:33 PM

The proprietary psu design was used for older dell computers like the optiplex series. The truth is they told you a lie so you could buy an expensive power supply which would normally cost less just so they could profit from it. Any standard ATX power supply will work with it, maybe the rep misheard the computer model or might just be a new employee. That being said there are several sources that claim people have fitted standard power supplies in this case, links are below:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/320046-33-dell-studio...
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3...

Its a good thing you posted this on the forum before buying a power supply from them, also might I suggest you should go with a quality power supply brand like Antec, Corsair, Pc power and cooling, XFX, Seasonic and the HIGH END cooler master and rosewill power supplies.

Best of luck,
Socialfox
m
l
February 4, 2013 4:24:05 PM

I got the same problem for XPS Studio 435MT, after a power outage, even though I have an UPS, it looks like the PSU issue . I have a hard time to remove the PSU from the computer, do I have to remove the CPU fan first? By the way, I am considering to replace with an Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Green ATX 2.3V psu. Is it a good fit to this computer? it looks like EA650 has a fan on the side, not on the back, any suggestion?
m
l
Related resources
April 1, 2013 2:00:57 PM

sh2006 said:
I got the same problem for XPS Studio 435MT, after a power outage, even though I have an UPS, it looks like the PSU issue . I have a hard time to remove the PSU from the computer, do I have to remove the CPU fan first? By the way, I am considering to replace with an Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Green ATX 2.3V psu. Is it a good fit to this computer? it looks like EA650 has a fan on the side, not on the back, any suggestion?

Hey. Bud.
I own a 435mt and I changed my power supply 3 times. Fact is, the Dell 350w psu is almost under powered. And, yes Dell lied, they want your business. You would do well to replace with another psu. My first replacement an Antec Basic 550w didn't have enough amps and died 9 months later. I got a good deal on a XFX Pro 750w 62 amps but it, for some reason ran hot. So I got a SeaSonic Gold 650w with 54 amps and it runs great. Cooler which is good because the chipset in the 435mt run hot. It might be a voltage problem (Dell makes no provision for voltage adjustment in the bios). I solved the chipset heat problem by installing an after market northbridge fan and heatsink. Learned something interesting doing this. SeaSonic, XFX and Corsair are made by the same manufacturer.
m
l
April 1, 2013 2:36:21 PM

sh2006 said:

I agree with socialfox.
To get the new psu unit in, you may have to remove the huge cpu cooler. I got pushy with a large 750w amp and gently got it in/out. I had to remove the ram and the Rom/RW. I don't suggest doing that. Unmounting the mother board is another idea but you'll need to remove all your PCI/PCIe cards, too. When you do this, make sure your grounded. If you can, get yourself a grounding wriststrap from Radio Shack. It has a resister built into the cap. Cheap, 10 bucks. I walloped my Pentium4 in 2009 which led to purchasing the 435mt. Lol.
m
l
!