Sign in with
Your question

My new build

Last response: in Systems
June 18, 2012 11:27:29 PM

I have ordered the parts.. this is my first build
I have mouse, keyboard and, speakers and monitor on hand. Any ideas on possible mistakes I made or left off?

CPU: i7-3770
MB: Asus Sabertooth Z77
PS: Seasonic X750 Gold
SSd: Plextor M3 Series 256GB Sata III
HD: Western Digital 500 GB
Case: Corsair 600T white
Memory: 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680
Lite-on 24x DVD Writer
Cooling: Thermaltake Frio Overclocking-Ready

Total cost to me.. including shipping $1998.73.
The CPU comes with a thermal paste, but should i get something better?

More about : build

June 18, 2012 11:38:27 PM

What is the purpose of your build?

If it's gaming you way overspent on some items.
If it's a photoshop/editing build, get more ram. It will probably help.

You didn't get an unlocked CPU, so you can't overclock, so really no need for an aftermarker cooler.

Your cooler should, however, come with paste.
m
l
June 18, 2012 11:38:57 PM

Double tap, sorry.
m
l
Related resources
June 19, 2012 1:47:34 AM

cranked said:
What is the purpose of your build?

If it's gaming you way overspent on some items.
If it's a photoshop/editing build, get more ram. It will probably help.

You didn't get an unlocked CPU, so you can't overclock, so really no need for an aftermarker cooler.

Your cooler should, however, come with paste.

First let me thank you for the response.
I am in no hurry and very willing to return and replace a few items... I like to game SWTOR/Skyrim/Wow.

I am new to this and am not real comfortable with OC but might would give it a try in the future. I had a $2500 budget so if you have a suggestion for changes to make, I am all ears.
m
l
June 19, 2012 2:39:31 AM

A really solid gaming build can be had for around $1500.

An i7 is used for programs that can fully utilize all the cores on the chip. Most games will use 2 cores, so an i5 with 4 cores would be plenty and save you a ton.

That Sabertooth board is WAY overpriced. You are paying a hefty premium for the look of it. It's not a bad board, but you can get one that does the same thing for $100 less. Sure, you would lose a couple SATA ports, but for a gaming build, who cares about that? Having said that, some people love the look and want to spend the money, looks are a personal preference thing.

A 750W PSU is way overkill unless you think you may want to CF down the road. For a single card like that, go with about a 600W PSU. You don't even need that much, but it never hurts to have a little extra.

For an SSD, I would stick with either Crucial or Mushkin.

As for the GPU, I feel the 680 isn't worth the price. If you look at the benchmarks, the 680 beats the 670 by maybe 5-8% and it costs $120 more. The performance/cost ratio just isn't right there. I would stick with the 670 and save the money.

As for Overclocking, I would get the unlocked chip. They don't cost that much more and you can always OC later when/if you feel comfortable doing it. It's quite easy and I always feel if you have the budget, why not have the option for such a small cost difference up front.

As for your build I would try something like this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/aoUv
m
l
!