Need help. New build, no power

gilcongane

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
Just finished a new build, however there seems to be no power running. There are 0 signs of any power. psu does not make a sound, no led lights on mobo or fans spinning, no sounds also. I have both power cables plugged into motherboard as well as everything else plugged into power supply. I'm guessing its a power supply issue however I'm not really sure. If anyone could offer some advice I would appreciate it.

i5-2500K
CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX650 650W
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77

v90k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
sounds to me PSU may be dead. I know this sounds noob but check that both ends of the power cord are seated right and powerstrip/lightswitch on the wall is on. Other than that if you verified not even the psu fan is spinning then time to RMA

gilcongane

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011

yes its hooked up right ;[ i checked that a few times too

cranked

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
Well it could be bad. You should try and power up by touching the connectors on the motherboard with a screwdriver.

Do you know what I mean by that?

That would eliminate the power button as the problem.

gilcongane

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011

Afraid I do not know that trick.

cranked

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
The two pins on the motherboard where you hook your case's power button to. Should be a plus and minus. Unplug the case power button and take a flat head screwdriver and touch the two leads together for a second. That does the same thing as your case switch does.

Did you say you tried to power on the PSU with the paperclip trick to check it? Your problem could be the motherboard as well.