Sign in with
Your question

HP Pavilion Slimline graphics and power upgrade help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 23, 2012 5:59:28 PM

My old gaming computer died a tragic death. I am using my kids HP Pavilion Slimline s5000 series computer until I can get a new computer for myself. I am an avid WoW player and raider. The integrated graphics ont his computer are terrible and I can only play on minimum settings. As you can imagine, this makes raiding difficult as I can't see anything and lag. It will be a couple months or so until I can afford the computer I want, so I am trying to upgrade the graphics card and power supply in the kids comp.

I did search and find some posts on the subject, but they were all a couple years old and I know things change fast in the world of computers.

What I am looking for is a low profile graphics card of decent quality that will fit in the case and cost around $75-$100. Prefer a card that can handle playing WoW on the highest settings. From what I understand, I will also need a new power supply as the one in the computer is only 240. I can afford about $50-$65 on the power supply.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.
a c 153 U Graphics card
April 23, 2012 9:14:58 PM

The problem is going to be the power supply, usually power supplies for slimline cases that are aftermarket are going to be overly expensive for the quality you get. Honestly if your budget is 165 (as it looks) you can get a decent Coolermaster Case for 35, a normal PSU for 25, leaving you 105 for a decent non-low-profile graphics card. Which in your case since you probably dont want to spend a lot (and will also be bottlenecked by that CPU greatly), you could spend about 85 on the GPU.
m
l
Related resources
April 23, 2012 9:29:46 PM

Hmm, I wish there were better options, lol. I am not quite comfortable moving everything to a new case by myself. too afraid to do it incorrectly and cause damage.

Are there any options for a card that will fit in the case and work with the current power supply or am I just hosed til I get the new computer?

Thanks for answering!
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
April 23, 2012 9:35:04 PM

I personally cannot recommend putting any graphics card on that HP power supply. It's probably possible for a very lowend card, but I don't want to be the one that recommends it in case things go bad.
m
l
April 23, 2012 9:42:35 PM

I have an hp slimline right now. I have the lower rated psu, 160 maybe and I used a 6450 I got for 40 bucks. Helped alot! Never got my damn rebate back though!!!! (gigabyte)

"WoW on the highest settings"... Just wait until you build a new one. Putting a new psu and gpu in is just a waste.

A 50 dollar card is needed in the slimline, at least it could "get u by" lolz.

m
l
April 24, 2012 10:53:00 AM

So there really is nothing I can do about the psu. *sigh* I really was hoping to find a new psu, new gpu, spend a few days waiting on shipping, a few minutes clicking connections together and have a decent set up by raid night.

Someone on the Wow tech forums suggested a low profile 6570. Between the 6450 and a 6570, which would work best for WoW?
m
l
January 14, 2013 2:05:46 AM

melbel615 said:
So there really is nothing I can do about the psu. *sigh* I really was hoping to find a new psu, new gpu, spend a few days waiting on shipping, a few minutes clicking connections together and have a decent set up by raid night.

Someone on the Wow tech forums suggested a low profile 6570. Between the 6450 and a 6570, which would work best for WoW?

melbel615 said:

I build my rig in HP Slimline case, i used Athne Power PSU 400 Watss 80 Plus Bronze, the only PSU recommended if you want use a high performnce low profile card; now i have the GT 640 for 60 bucks,runs Battlefield in Medium 1680 x 1050 smooth, Max Payne 3,etc
If you use a low profile card,you must replace th Stock PSU, because lkis lowattage and itsnt appropiarte for gaming gc; cheers

My rig:
AMD A8 3870K @ 3.0GHz
Gigabyte GA A75N USB3 ITX Motherboard FM1 Socket
8GB Genesis Kinston DDR3 RAM @ 1600Mhz
Cooler Master Gemin II M4 Lowr profile CPU Cooler
120MM Cooler Master Balde Cooler
Athena Power Power Supply Flex 400 Watts 80 Plus Bronze
Seagate SATA 3 500GB @ 7200RPM Hard Disc Drive
LG MODISC SATA DVD Burner
m
l
December 8, 2013 12:46:08 AM

melbel615 said:
My old gaming computer died a tragic death. I am using my kids HP Pavilion Slimline s5000 series computer until I can get a new computer for myself. I am an avid WoW player and raider. The integrated graphics ont his computer are terrible and I can only play on minimum settings. As you can imagine, this makes raiding difficult as I can't see anything and lag. It will be a couple months or so until I can afford the computer I want, so I am trying to upgrade the graphics card and power supply in the kids comp.

I did search and find some posts on the subject, but they were all a couple years old and I know things change fast in the world of computers.

What I am looking for is a low profile graphics card of decent quality that will fit in the case and cost around $75-$100. Prefer a card that can handle playing WoW on the highest settings. From what I understand, I will also need a new power supply as the one in the computer is only 240. I can afford about $50-$65 on the power supply.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

this is the one i have atm i got this one bcuz i had the same problem also if you dont mind running with water and shadow down it will do a great job but like i said anything with shaders turn it down and youll be ok i play in 1680*1020 and it runs fine it will be a nice video card for the kids to have once you get a new rig

http://www.amazon.com/PowerColor-Radeon-Green-GDDR3-PCI...
m
l
!