Sign in with
Your question

$2000max build. need advice + several questions

Last response: in Systems
June 18, 2012 11:46:12 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: June 19-24

Budget Range: $2000 max after rebates and taxes

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, movie/tv watching, music

Parts Not Required: first build (and desktop for that matter) ever so I need everything minus an Ethernet cable which I already have.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, amazon, mwave

Parts Preferences: I pretty much have that all squared away, but besides an Intel CPU, anything

Overclocking: Yes (eventually), but no for a long while.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the far future(want my specs to be able to handle it if needed)

Monitor Resolution: WestingHouse 23 ½ inch 1080p HDTV

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I have already had a few tech savvy people look my build over, but 2nd opinions are always good. I am mainly making sure everything is Ivy Bridge, and everything is compatible/works well together. Do you see anything I am missing that most people start out with? Do you see any problems I might have down the road? Suggestions? Changes?

A few questions I wanted to ask:

1.) I did a lot of research on PSU wattage and did a lot of reading and filled out a few wattage calculators until I have started to have information overload---brain spasms aren’t far behind, I promise! I truly don’t know if my Corsair 750W is enough. Keep in mind I want to have enough wattage assuming that I will be running in SLI/Crossfire and over clocking (even though I won’t be to begin with).

2.) I don’t think I need a CPU cooler for now as long as I am not over clocking and have only 1 GPU, but where do you cross the line when deciding one needs an additional cooler (my tower already has 4 fans). NOTE: I don’t like water coolers so don’t recommend those please

3.) I may sound like I kind of know what I am talking about, but in reality, I don’t :ange:  So please, in layman’s terms. And please explain your reasoning for suggestions
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2BAA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED fan, 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 230mm top fan, and 1x 230mm side fan

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card ( 11196-00-40G)

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM

Team X101 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Model TG032GX101L3

PSU---unsure if I should get CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
or get CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 (CMPSU-850HX) 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

FINAL THOUGHTS: I think that about wraps it up. I want to go ahead and apologize for the long post. Oh, I will be getting a keyboard, but I'm not sure what exactly yet, so I left it off (will be around ~$100=120 I'm guessing). Also, anyone who would like to recommend some nice speakers for maybe around ~100ish (not sure what speakers go for these days) would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help!!!

-Victorious Secret
June 19, 2012 12:02:44 AM

As for the components you selected:

That Sabertooth board is WAY overpriced. You are paying a heavy premium for looks alone. A $140 board from ASrock, ASUS, gigabyte will do the job you need and save you a ton. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with the board if you just happen to like it.

You want to be going with a i5-3570K for a gaming build. A 3770K has more cores and is used more for programs that can actually utilize the chip fully. Games will typically only use 2 cores and the 3570K has 4, so you could save a ton of cash there.

Do not get that RAM with the heat spreaders. They are totally unnecessary and are really only a marketing gimmick. Besides all that, they could interfere with an aftermarket cooler depending on which one you get.

With your budget, I would get a 256GB Crucial M4 SSD.

For the money, you are far better off with a GTX670 over the 7950.

Even with a 750W PSU, you could power two 670's or 2 7950's. It wouldn't hurt to have 850 just for some headroom or future upgrades.

As for the questions:

1. See above^

2. You don't need watercooling, but you already know that. For Mild OC's I recommend the Hyper 212 EVO. For something more look at the TPC-812 or the Noctua NH-D14. You don't need to get an aftermarket cooler until you want to OC, but it would probably be easier to install it now, assuming your budget would permit it now.

3. See above ^
June 19, 2012 12:02:56 AM

:) 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($354.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($183.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($409.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XM (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($133.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1683.38
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

Peripherals are mostly up to what you, I don't want to suggest something that you may not like. I left in the 3770k despite the fact it is not necessary, but if you're spending that much on a PC, why not? You don't need Windows Pro unless you plan to add more than 16 GB of RAM, which is unlikely in a gaming build. Feel free to switch to it if you prefer having the option.
Related resources
June 19, 2012 12:50:55 AM

The Hyper-Threading on the 3770k can actually SLOW some games down by as much as 20-30%. Here's the build I'd suggest (without peripherals or OS):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ NCIX US)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($132.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($539.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($118.85 @ Mac Connection)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1436.75
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

This one has a 680, a silver-rated PSU, a great case, a reliable SSD (OCZ isn't all that reliable... Crucial M4 costs less AND is more reliable), a more reliable HDD (imo), and no Hyper-Threading... which you don't need and can slow you down.
June 19, 2012 1:20:06 AM

Victorious_Secret said:

Approximate Purchase Date: June 19-24

Budget Range: $2000 max after rebates and taxes

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, movie/tv watching, music

Parts Not Required: first build (and desktop for that matter) ever so I need everything minus an Ethernet cable which I already have.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, amazon, mwave

Parts Preferences: I pretty much have that all squared away, but besides an Intel CPU, anything

Overclocking: Yes (eventually), but no for a long while.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the far future(want my specs to be able to handle it if needed)

Monitor Resolution: WestingHouse 23 ½ inch 1080p HDTV

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I have already had a few tech savvy people look my build over, but 2nd opinions are always good. I am mainly making sure everything is Ivy Bridge, and everything is compatible/works well together. Do you see anything I am missing that most people start out with? Do you see any problems I might have down the road? Suggestions? Changes?

A few questions I wanted to ask:

1.) I did a lot of research on PSU wattage and did a lot of reading and filled out a few wattage calculators until I have started to have information overload---brain spasms aren’t far behind, I promise! I truly don’t know if my Corsair 750W is enough. Keep in mind I want to have enough wattage assuming that I will be running in SLI/Crossfire and over clocking (even though I won’t be to begin with).

2.) I don’t think I need a CPU cooler for now as long as I am not over clocking and have only 1 GPU, but where do you cross the line when deciding one needs an additional cooler (my tower already has 4 fans). NOTE: I don’t like water coolers so don’t recommend those please

3.) I may sound like I kind of know what I am talking about, but in reality, I don’t :ange:  So please, in layman’s terms. And please explain your reasoning for suggestions

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2BAA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED fan, 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 230mm top fan, and 1x 230mm side fan

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card ( 11196-00-40G)

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM

Team X101 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Model TG032GX101L3

PSU---unsure if I should get CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
or get CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 (CMPSU-850HX) 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

FINAL THOUGHTS: I think that about wraps it up. I want to go ahead and apologize for the long post. Oh, I will be getting a keyboard, but I'm not sure what exactly yet, so I left it off (will be around ~$100=120 I'm guessing). Also, anyone who would like to recommend some nice speakers for maybe around ~100ish (not sure what speakers go for these days) would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help!!!

-Victorious Secret

Intel i5 3570k- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 230$ There is no reason to get the i7 for what you are doing

MSI Z77A-GD65- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 190$ This is a great motherboard and it stays very cool thanks to its heatsinks

G.Skill Ares 8gb 1600mhz- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 47$

Seagate 2tb 5900rpm- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 110$

Crucial M4 256gb SSD- http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-CT25... 180$

Asus GTX 670- http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-GTX-670-DC2-2GD5-GTX... 420$

Rosewill Capstone 750w- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 110$

Lite-On DVD Burner- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 23$

Antec P280- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 100$ (I would get two 120mm intake fans for the case to improve cooling, here are some good fans- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )

Windows 7 Home Premium OEM- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 100$

Total=1510$

Logitech G500- http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G500-Programmable-Gaming... 50$

Keyboard- Any generic wired keyboard will do. I don't really recommend the "gaming" keyboards as they are just 10$ keyboards with lights and extra keys. If you want a keyboard worth its price invest in a mechanical keyboard. They are usually 80$+.

I would personally skimp on a keyboard to get a descent set of speakers like the Logitech Z623 2.1 Speakers- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 125$
June 19, 2012 1:23:30 AM

Why the P280? He's not looking for a silent build.

Why the overpriced mobo? The mobo temps don't get that high.
June 19, 2012 1:50:54 AM

Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions so far. The main thing I want to ask about right now is what exactly is the i7 3770k used for if it is not for my purposes? I mean I will be gaming with it and doing a lot of multitasking with lots of programs.

@cranked

the i5 3570k is actually quad core.

@mjmjpfaff

what exactly would I have to be doing to warrant the i7.

@ddan49

I find it really hard to believe that a more expensive and more recent model of CPU would slow a game down by 20-30% I'm not calling you a liar or anything but I would like some proof on that because that seems very odd to me. Then again, I don't know what hyper threading is or what it does.

@all

I'll get back to you all about some more of your suggestions tomorrow because I have to get off for now, but I wanted to address everyone's unanimous suggestion to go from my i7 to the i5 3570k. I'd like a little more reasoning as to why. CPU Benchmark has i7 at 12th overall and the i5 at 60th I believe. I am also trying to future proof my build so I don't have to replace any parts for at least several years, which was one of the reasons why I originally chose the i7.

I'm not trying to sound opposed at all, just surprised. If I can save that much money then that is great!
June 19, 2012 2:15:45 AM

ddan49 said:
Why the P280? He's not looking for a silent build.

Why the overpriced mobo? The mobo temps don't get that high.

The motherboard is not overpriced. It is a great performer and a recommended buy by this site. And I was referring to the motherboard temps because of the Sabertooth board in the original post. Usually people choose it for its gimmicky "thermal armor".

The P280 is not even close to a silent case. I chose it because its minimalistic design that looks great IMO and because it was the same price as the Antec Eleven Hundred which was based off of the P280. If the OP wants a less minimalistic case I would definitely recommend the Antec Eleven Hundred.
June 19, 2012 2:24:16 AM

Victorious_Secret said:
Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions so far. The main thing I want to ask about right now is what exactly is the i7 3770k used for if it is not for my purposes? I mean I will be gaming with it and doing a lot of multitasking with lots of programs.

@mjmjpfaff

@ddan49

I find it really hard to believe that a more expensive and more recent model of CPU would slow a game down by 20-30% I'm not calling you a liar or anything but I would like some proof on that because that seems very odd to me. Then again, I don't know what hyper threading is or what it does.

If you are doing video editing, photoshop, 3d rendering or things like that which are aided by extra cores then the i7 3770k can be justified. Normal multitasking for example a few internet tabs open and your working on a few Microsoft Word files would not be enough to justify an i7 3770k.

I tend to stay away from those general Passmark scores because they are too broad and vague. They do not pinpoint CPU's strengths and weaknesses.

Ivy bridge, even though it cannot overclock as well as Sandy Bridge can still keep up with it because it is faster clock for clock which means that an 4.2ghz IB overclock equals about a 4.5ghz SB overclock.

June 19, 2012 2:50:13 AM

Victorious_Secret said:

@cranked

the i5 3570k is actually quad core.

@mjmjpfaff

@ddan49

@all

I'll get back to you all about some more of your suggestions tomorrow because I have to get off for now, but I wanted to address everyone's unanimous suggestion to go from my i7 to the i5 3570k. I'd like a little more reasoning as to why. CPU Benchmark has i7 at 12th overall and the i5 at 60th I believe. I am also trying to future proof my build so I don't have to replace any parts for at least several years, which was one of the reasons why I originally chose the i7.

I'm not trying to sound opposed at all, just surprised. If I can save that much money then that is great!

Yes, I am aware that the i5 has 4 cores, you mis-read my post.

To warrant an i7, you would be using programs that would fully utilize all the cores, mostly photshopping/editing/rendering type programs. For gaming, an i5 will last you just as long as an i7 in terms of time till next upgrade, unless game makers suddenly start producing games that can max out an i5's 4 cores, which I doubt will be anytime soon. Also, remember games are almost entirely GPU driven anyway.

June 19, 2012 1:04:37 PM

i7 = Adobe, video editing, etc.

Now for the HT slowing down your games thing. More expensive doesn't always mean better all-around. The HT basically splits each core/thread into two, and if you're not using HT, you're making the stuff basically run on two "treadmills" instead of one. If the programs aren't utilizing the other treadmill (the "fake" core, the HT), then the other one has to work harder... and slower.
June 19, 2012 8:53:21 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions for the switch to the i5 3570. I did some more research on that and yeah, ya'll are right, it is definitely better suited for me.

@cranked

I like your idea for the Hyper 212 EVO a lot. It does make sense going ahead and installing it if I have the money, which I definitely do now after the switch from i7 to i5. The TPC-812 had pretty bad reviews so I won't go with that. the Noctua NH D14 looks awesome too, it is like 3x the price though and I just don't know how much O/Cing I will be doing, and how much the former of the two can handle. ddan49 was also recommending another Noctua Model so I will have to seriously consider Noctua.

I was wondering about the Noctua fans.... since there are 2 of them, is it meant for a push/pull setup? I know very little about this stuff, aside from what push/pull actually is.

@mjmjpfpaff

I'm liking that motherboard you have recommended. It seems like a much better buy, but I do have one newb question about a difference between the two. The SABERTOOTH seems to have a lot more SATA ports, but I'm not even sure what type of components would go in there. It is in the "SATA RAID" column, and since I am not using Raid, it doesn't apply to me, right?

I am also gathering that windows Pro is not needed for a gamer's build, and is only relevant when I have more than 16 gig RAM?

Thanks for the comments,

-Victorious Secret
June 19, 2012 9:53:14 PM

I recommended the Noctua NH D14... that I know of... go with that one. Yes, it's push-pull. Very quiet.

SATA ports are mostly for HDDs... any drives you have. You don't need the extra ones if you've got under 6ish drives.

Windows 7 64-bit is what I'd recommend. 64-bit for SURE. Otherwise, you'll only be able to use 3GB of your RAM.
June 20, 2012 6:05:02 AM

Victorious_Secret said:

@mjmjpfpaff

I'm liking that motherboard you have recommended. It seems like a much better buy, but I do have one newb question about a difference between the two. The SABERTOOTH seems to have a lot more SATA ports, but I'm not even sure what type of components would go in there. It is in the "SATA RAID" column, and since I am not using Raid, it doesn't apply to me, right?

I am also gathering that windows Pro is not needed for a gamer's build, and is only relevant when I have more than 16 gig RAM?

Thanks for the comments,

-Victorious Secret

First off, the Hyper 212 EVO will more than likely be plenty for you. Once you hit its max speeds before it starts to really heat up, the Hyper 212 EVO will be more than enough. With Ivy Bridge I strongly recommend you do not go past its stock voltage. You should be able to easily reach 4.2ghz with the MSI Z77A-GD65 which is equal to a Sandy Bridge overclock of about 4.5ghz.

There is not much of a difference between the MSI and Sabertooth motherboard. Yes the Sabertooth does have a few more SATA ports but how many do you really need? Raid compatibility in the SATA ports should not matter to you since you are not using RAID. Other than that, both can overclock very well and are great performers and solid motherboards all around.

Yes, if you will not use more than 16gb's of ram Windows 7 Pro is unecessary. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OEM- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... will suit you just fine.
June 20, 2012 3:45:28 PM

mjmjpfaff said:
First off, the Hyper 212 EVO will more than likely be plenty for you. Once you hit its max speeds before it starts to really heat up, the Hyper 212 EVO will be more than enough. With Ivy Bridge I strongly recommend you do not go past its stock voltage. You should be able to easily reach 4.2ghz with the MSI Z77A-GD65 which is equal to a Sandy Bridge overclock of about 4.5ghz.

There is not much of a difference between the MSI and Sabertooth motherboard. Yes the Sabertooth does have a few more SATA ports but how many do you really need? Raid compatibility in the SATA ports should not matter to you since you are not using RAID. Other than that, both can overclock very well and are great performers and solid motherboards all around.

Yes, if you will not use more than 16gb's of ram Windows 7 Pro is unecessary. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OEM- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... will suit you just fine.

ok. If you are confident in the Hyper 212 EVO's abilities to be enough cooling for me, then I am too :) 

One more follow-up question though; you strongly recommended me to not go past my CPU's stock voltage. That would mean never O/Cing, right? I'm not sure how much more voltage it takes to O/C a CPU moderately. Mainly, I'm trying to make sure I understand you so I don't mess up. I'm guessing you either mean don't O/C with Ivy Bridge either because the Hyper 212 EVO wouldn't be enough to cool it, or you were just warning me of things that could happen when one O/Cs too much so, which this guy explains quite clearly.
June 20, 2012 4:17:10 PM

Victorious_Secret said:
ok. If you are confident in the Hyper 212 EVO's abilities to be enough cooling for me, then I am too :) 

One more follow-up question though; you strongly recommended me to not go past my CPU's stock voltage. That would mean never O/Cing, right? I'm not sure how much more voltage it takes to O/C a CPU moderately. Mainly, I'm trying to make sure I understand you so I don't mess up. I'm guessing you either mean don't O/C with Ivy Bridge either because the Hyper 212 EVO wouldn't be enough to cool it, or you were just warning me of things that could happen when one O/Cs too much so, which this guy explains quite clearly.

You can overclock Ivy Bridge without touching its voltage. You can overclock it just by upping the core multiplier to 42x which will give you a 4.2ghz overclock which is easily attainable at stock voltages and easily cooled by the Hyper 212 EVO. Here is a review that explains Ivy Bridge's heat issues- http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-overcloc...
June 20, 2012 4:39:52 PM

I have the MSI GD65 board and can't recommend it enough. You pay a little bit more now, but the quality is evident and the heatsinks on it are, for lack of a better word, fierce looking and get the job done.

The 212 EVO will easy cool the CPU for a decent overclock. I recently put a Corsair H100 liquid cooler in mine and love it, but that is a serious investment and quite the pita to put in because of the radiator.
June 20, 2012 8:22:21 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $129.99 FREE SHIPPING
COOLER MASTER HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 Black Mesh, Plastic, Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $137.99 - $127.99 after mail-in rebate card
XFX PRO750W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80Plus Silver 750 Watt Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $279.98 save: $15.00
ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $229.99 FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $66.00 FREE SHIPPING
Cooler Master TPC 812 RR-T812-24PK-R1 120mm Sleeve with Dual Vertical Vapor Chamber TPC 812 CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $61.99 FREE SHIPPING
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model 997015

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $239.99 FREE SHIPPING
SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-240G-G25 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $16.99
LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $99.99 FREE SHIPPING
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

Total: $1,245.92 *not including shipping & rebates

Look @ superbiiz.com and NCIX US version of that site for those cards also. Reliable sites and a lot of times they will have them in stock when newegg doesn't.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $429.99
MSI N670 PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $399.99 FREE SHIPPING
GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $419.99 FREE SHIPPING
ASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5 GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

*** Optional side and top fan for that case up above

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Computer-Cooling-R4... $17.00 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Cooler Master Computer Case Cooling R4-LUS-07AR-GP (Red) LED Megaflow 200mm Case Fan
June 21, 2012 9:22:40 PM

Alright guys, I thought I would give some closure on this thread and tell you what I ended up ordering a few hours ago.

If I don't mention a certain part then I ordered the same as my original post stated.

CPU - Intel i5 3570K

MOBO - MSI Z77A-GD65

OS - Win 7 home premium 64 bit

PSU - Corsair 850W (link in original post)

CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO

Keyboard - Das Ultimate Silent

Grandtotal: $1,905.46

The only thing I left out was speakers, and I just haven't decided on any yet. Once I get some the total will be right around my max budget of $2,000

Once again I want to thank ya'll for your responses and suggestions - they helped a lot!

-Victorious Secret

June 21, 2012 9:40:36 PM

Looks good. No GPU listed though...
June 21, 2012 10:27:21 PM

mjmjpfaff said:
Looks good. No GPU listed though...

Sapphire Radeon HD 7950. It is linked in my original post
June 21, 2012 10:45:19 PM

The GTX 670 is just 10$ more and performs so much better than it. It performs better than the 7970 @ 1080p in most benchmarks- http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-rev...

GTX 670-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 400$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 420$

Two in SLI only require a 750w PSU. Here is a gold rated for quite a bit less than the PSU that you listed- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

What case are you getting? I strongly do not recommend you getting the HAF 932 because of its lack of fan filters. The Cooler Master Storm Trooper IMO is a much better deal and has plenty of filters to keep your components clean and your heatsinks dust free helping them cool your components better.
Cooler Master Storm Trooper- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 150$

June 21, 2012 11:02:23 PM

True, in hindsight I should have gone with the GTX 670. And I am getting the HAF 932. If needed I can just clean the fans with a can of air spray every other month or something.

These are all good suggestions but it is a little late since my order has already been verified and I believe it will be shipping soon (if not already), and I am not going to cancel it

One more question. Don't I need extra Wattage for external speakers, say if they take up around 200W would the 850W even be enough? much less the 750W?
June 22, 2012 12:21:40 AM

Victorious_Secret said:
True, in hindsight I should have gone with the GTX 670. And I am getting the HAF 932. If needed I can just clean the fans with a can of air spray every other month or something.

These are all good suggestions but it is a little late since my order has already been verified and I believe it will be shipping soon (if not already), and I am not going to cancel it

One more question. Don't I need extra Wattage for external speakers, say if they take up around 200W would the 850W even be enough? much less the 750W?

The Speakers plug into the wall not your power supply. 750w is plenty for 7950 crossfire as well.
June 22, 2012 12:48:43 AM

mjmpfaff said it all. 850W is a LOT of power. Any reason on the MSI mobo? Not an ASRock one? Other than that, you should be happy (more or less). You can make a few simple dust filters, but they won't look as good. But it's a good idea to HAVE filters... a very good idea.
June 22, 2012 3:06:01 AM

I was originally going to go with the ASUS sabertooth but for my purposes the MSI was the same thing with one or two fewer SATA ports, all for like $40 cheaper. And well I guess I can just have a lot of power with the 850W :) 

I don't see why I shouldn't be happy ddan. You make it sound like not having filters will ruin my demeanor about my whole build haha. And I don't care at all what it looks like so a few jank dust filters works for me!
June 22, 2012 5:29:30 PM

By being happy I just meant that troubleshooting ('cause nothing EVER works on the first try) may dampen your mood. Have fun and good luck!
!