Computer Freezes, Screen Colors Change to Purple/Blue

jazzmac251

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Hello,

My computer has recently developed as issue wherein after watching youtube videos for a while, the screen will suddenly change to hues of purple and blue, the mouse cursor will change to a straight line, and seconds later the system will freeze completely. Usually I have to do a hard reset, but the other night the system randomly recovered from this state without issue (or error report). I'll attach pictures of this if I can figure out how.

Sometimes audio will continue to play and the strange-looking mouse cursor will continue to move even though the system at large has stopped responding. Eventually, though, whether a couple seconds or a minute or so later, the system inevitably freezes completely

Potentially Relevant Info:
Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
2 RAID 0 SSDs + 2 HDDs
Nvidia GTX 560 (not overclocked,)
P6T Mobo

Potential Causes:
1)Video Card - Because of the nature of this issue, the video card was my first guess. I don't understand what the issue could be given the fact that there are no issues at all while the card is under extreme load while HD-gaming, but there are issues when watching videos on youtube. I tried updating the video card drivers to latest and the issue is still present.

2) SSD - I'm not super familiar with the types of issues SSDs can have, but perhaps this is one? I have moved the page file to an HDD, but Windows always reserves some space on the SSD (system drive) for a small page file. Perhaps there's a bad sector in the NAND and the SSDs stop responding when hitting it? I don't know. Just a hypothesis. I also don't see this as very possible because I don't run into this issue at all except when watching full screen youtube videos. If it was indeed an issue with the SSD, I would think that any type of computer work would lead to this problem eventually. That seems to not be the case.

3) Firefox's hardware-accelerated graphics. This is relatively new. Perhaps something in FF is not playing well with my video card drivers

Helltech

Distinguished
It is very intermittent for me, usually happens with FireFox when odd flash applets load, usually ads that weren't blocked by AdBlock+ or when I'm watching a streamed video (e.g. Youtube). As I said after switching to Chrome it didn't happen at all.

If its not that, its a dying video card, an overheating video card, a dyng PSU, or bad drivers. Seems like you may have ruled out drivers though.

What are the temperatures on your GPU at idle?

mjiggidy

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
I just wanted to say I have this exact problem when I view YouTube videos in full screen. I have an EVGA GTX 560Ti, Driver 296.10, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, 850w power supply. Idle temps are around 32C.

Here are a couple of pictures I took during one of the crashes:

mjiggidy

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011

There is a lot of talk about this on the Nvidia site that I have been reading. Many people have upgraded to the latest beta drivers (300 series) and are reporting that this fixes the problem. I just did the upgrade myself. Beta drivers make me hesitant, but moving away from the 290 series drivers seems to be the work around right now.

BTW I use Chrome, so I think we can rule out Firefox as the issue. ;) There is speculation that it is a voltage issue, where the card doesn't try to draw enough voltage for its 2D clocks.

jazzmac251

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011

Wow thanks man. I'll try that. I couldn't decide if it was a graphics card problem or not. Lets give this a whirl.

jazzmac251

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Well the 300 Alpha series drivers seem to have fixed the issue. Problem is that it doesn't seem to be ready for prime time yet. This driver is causing a lot of "system interrupts". So much so that's it's consistently hogging 25% of one of my CPU cores.

>:| one problem to another....