Computer Freezes, Screen Colors Change to Purple/Blue

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Computer
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 23, 2012 7:01:54 PM

Hello,

My computer has recently developed as issue wherein after watching youtube videos for a while, the screen will suddenly change to hues of purple and blue, the mouse cursor will change to a straight line, and seconds later the system will freeze completely. Usually I have to do a hard reset, but the other night the system randomly recovered from this state without issue (or error report). I'll attach pictures of this if I can figure out how.

Sometimes audio will continue to play and the strange-looking mouse cursor will continue to move even though the system at large has stopped responding. Eventually, though, whether a couple seconds or a minute or so later, the system inevitably freezes completely

Potentially Relevant Info:
Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
2 RAID 0 SSDs + 2 HDDs
Nvidia GTX 560 (not overclocked,)
P6T Mobo

Potential Causes:
1)Video Card - Because of the nature of this issue, the video card was my first guess. I don't understand what the issue could be given the fact that there are no issues at all while the card is under extreme load while HD-gaming, but there are issues when watching videos on youtube. I tried updating the video card drivers to latest and the issue is still present.

2) SSD - I'm not super familiar with the types of issues SSDs can have, but perhaps this is one? I have moved the page file to an HDD, but Windows always reserves some space on the SSD (system drive) for a small page file. Perhaps there's a bad sector in the NAND and the SSDs stop responding when hitting it? I don't know. Just a hypothesis. I also don't see this as very possible because I don't run into this issue at all except when watching full screen youtube videos. If it was indeed an issue with the SSD, I would think that any type of computer work would lead to this problem eventually. That seems to not be the case.

3) Firefox's hardware-accelerated graphics. This is relatively new. Perhaps something in FF is not playing well with my video card drivers

More about : computer freezes screen colors change purple blue

a b Î Nvidia
April 23, 2012 9:09:03 PM

Firefox always messes with my Nvidia cards, it has been for a long time, after switching to Chrome I have not had any issues what so ever.

What is the make and model of your PSU?
m
l
April 23, 2012 9:23:13 PM

Thanks for your reply !

I believe it's a thermaltake 800 watt. if it is Firefox, I winner why it's just happening now hmm
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
April 23, 2012 9:26:19 PM

It is very intermittent for me, usually happens with FireFox when odd flash applets load, usually ads that weren't blocked by AdBlock+ or when I'm watching a streamed video (e.g. Youtube). As I said after switching to Chrome it didn't happen at all.

If its not that, its a dying video card, an overheating video card, a dyng PSU, or bad drivers. Seems like you may have ruled out drivers though.

What are the temperatures on your GPU at idle?
m
l
April 23, 2012 10:40:42 PM

I hope it's not a dying video card. It's pretty new. Ugh. Could be overheating. hwmonitor isn't super reliable. Any suggestions?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 23, 2012 10:55:40 PM

HWmonitor is very reliable. You can use MSI Afterburner if you wish though.
m
l
May 1, 2012 1:41:36 AM

I just wanted to say I have this exact problem when I view YouTube videos in full screen. I have an EVGA GTX 560Ti, Driver 296.10, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, 850w power supply. Idle temps are around 32C.

Here are a couple of pictures I took during one of the crashes:

m
l
May 1, 2012 2:42:17 AM

Yes that is it exactly!!
m
l
May 1, 2012 2:58:32 AM

jazzmac251 said:
Yes that is it exactly!!

There is a lot of talk about this on the Nvidia site that I have been reading. Many people have upgraded to the latest beta drivers (300 series) and are reporting that this fixes the problem. I just did the upgrade myself. Beta drivers make me hesitant, but moving away from the 290 series drivers seems to be the work around right now.

BTW I use Chrome, so I think we can rule out Firefox as the issue. ;)  There is speculation that it is a voltage issue, where the card doesn't try to draw enough voltage for its 2D clocks.
m
l
May 1, 2012 4:49:56 AM

mjiggidy said:
There is a lot of talk about this on the Nvidia site that I have been reading. Many people have upgraded to the latest beta drivers (300 series) and are reporting that this fixes the problem. I just did the upgrade myself. Beta drivers make me hesitant, but moving away from the 290 series drivers seems to be the work around right now.

BTW I use Chrome, so I think we can rule out Firefox as the issue. ;)  There is speculation that it is a voltage issue, where the card doesn't try to draw enough voltage for its 2D clocks.

Wow thanks man. I'll try that. I couldn't decide if it was a graphics card problem or not. Lets give this a whirl.
m
l
May 2, 2012 4:56:18 PM

Well the 300 Alpha series drivers seem to have fixed the issue. Problem is that it doesn't seem to be ready for prime time yet. This driver is causing a lot of "system interrupts". So much so that's it's consistently hogging 25% of one of my CPU cores.

>:| one problem to another....
m
l
!